How did voting go for you?

Iceheart

It appears that Alaskans, despite unusually bipartisanly not wanting Don Young to continue as senator (based on anecdotal evidence; chats and reading comments), voted Don Young thru the GOP primary. Hashthing: TheF

Also while I realize primaries have lower turnout than generals, the amount of Democrats that voted in the primary seems to indicate again that Young will not be defeated in the general election because the GOP primary participation far out paced the Democrats. Source

So much for the idea of finally ending Youngs service (hes been in since 1973). We need term limits.

• 5 weeks later...

I teared up a little watching the footage of early voting in Fairfax, Virginia. All those people literally risking their health (and lives!) to try and do what's right. Knowing it might not matter yet being so concerned it won't matter that they'll show up at the earliest possible moment to try and do what they can against it, I don't know. I'm kind of a huge cynic (and there's maybe a thin edge of cynicism in the actions of these people, too) but it really moved me! Probably something broken in my brain (or in my politics) that this mattered to me but the nation's longest lasting protest movement didn't bring a tear to my eye, yeah, I know. שנה טובה ומתוקה, everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile in Texas the worlds dumbest governor is sucking up to the GOP hegemony.

Governor Abbott decided to allow Texas counties only one absentee ballot drop-off point each, but the cars are moving through this line in Harris County well. The governor's obvious intent was to make voting more difficult in urban counties and suppress voters who might choose change over Republican hegemony, but these voters appear to be determined and highly motivated to vote.
Maybe even more determined knowing that their governor is trying to keep their voices from being heard.
Harris County is home to over 4.7 million residents. It has a greater population than 26 states and the District of Columbia. It is also very large in size, 1,777 square miles, with notoriously congested roadways. The governor's action to cut 12 drop-off sites to one in Harris County is truly disgusting and disgraceful. 

And that drive thru drop off is the most full quickest moving thing.

I dropped off our ballots on Saturday. There were a bunch of Trump supporters nearby, but they had the area right around the drop box roped off for people to be in line to vote, even though the early voting location was closed.  I was able to walk up, drop them off and leave.

So I attempted to vote twice. On Tuesday I had to give up and leave because I wrongfully assumed I could go in at lunch and get it over with pretty quickly. I waited 30 minutes at the library closest to school but there was still about 50 people in front of me at the 30 minute mark and I only get 45 minutes for lunch. they had 4 volunteers working the site and 8 voting machines. One lady distributing gloves and pencils (brand new for the purpose of touching the voting machines) and making everyone sanitize up and be ready. One checking people in and two to help proctor. It was a mixed back of people voting but mostly old ppl who were deaf. I have to say I was envious of their walkers with built in seats.

Yesterday I left school early and went to a bigger voting site. This one had a line that was moving okay. I park and get in line outside. There is a black couple in front of me not wearing a masks and the woman is clearly the boss. She was horny-ish because she kept rubbing all over her man and pinching his ass. She threatened him if he voted for a Republican she'd do something he wouldn't like when he got home. A lady was out distributing Steve Allison door signs that you can hang from  your homes door knob. He's a GOP candidate. They accepted the little placard, tore it up and threw it on the ground. I held my tongue but I really wanted to call her out for being a jerk and littering. The lady called security over twice as a joke when her boyfriend threatened to vote for Trump. 

There another older couple behind me who were white. They saw the littering too but didn't say anything. We declined the free placard.

Finally we get inside the building. Since the white couple and the black couple were clearly couples as they stood together while everyone else socially distanced six feet apart outside the rule inside the building was everyone had to be apart by 6 feet once inside. The outside proctor handing out pencils and gloves chose to tell the white couple FIRST that they couldn't stand together. The black couple finally masked up upon entering the building. It wasn't until the black couple was at the threshold to coming in to vote that they were finally asked to separate by security. 20 minutes after they'd asked the white couple to separate six feet. 

The black couple needed lots of help to vote. 

I say this because I found it interesting. It pushed my buttons that I didn't say anything about littering and I should have called it out. I wondered though what caused the people running this affair not to say anything to them about not wearing masks or standing six feet apart but they clearly had no issue doing it to the older white couple. As a former fast food worker I know I hated to take the "Manager" requests that were almost always a black woman. I just waited to get the exaggerated OH MY GAWD snap in z formation scream high strung freak out over a single tomato that had been put on a taco that resulted in free food and a refund just to make her go away. If I volunteered to do the vote helper thing would I have said something to the black couple sooner than the white couple?  And if so why? Is it my prejudice? Who would believe me if I said it wasn't about black but more about what's right. And littering no matter what is LAME.

Oh and then later that night I ran to Walmart and got busted for not wearing my mask. LOL. I was talking to my parents on my cell phone in the car and forgot to put the mask on as I kept talking to them as I ran to the back of the store to pick up cat food. It wasn't until I was checking out that someone told me something about my no mask wearing ass. No one has an issue telling plain white ppl who are ugly I guess. 

Also a Trump decorated van cruised the parking lot while I waited outside for 1 hour honking his horn going TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP until the security ppl ran him off. I was voter number 793 yesterday.

And that's my story of voting yesterday. Probably the most adventure I've had voting. Usually I'm 1 of five ppl at my normal voting booth. I waited in line 1 hour and 15 minutes and was 30 minutes late for school!

7 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

We turned in our ballots yesterday. Just dropped them off at the library drop off place. Quick and easy, how it should be everywhere.

An actual drop-off box or one of the fake ones the state GOP has placed around the state?

I habven't gotten a chance to go vote yet.  I will either try it tomorrow morning or on Monday.

I'm venturing into the rabid abyss to vote in person on the day of.

I have no faith in the electoral system in Alabama.  If one dot is different on my signature, I am confident they'd throw it out.  I'm in one of the few blue counties in the state, so I'm sure our area is going to be targeted for exactly that kind of suppression.

I voted in-person Friday morning.  Normally, everything takes just about 5-10 minutes here, but this time it took 25 minutes.  I think things were slowed down a little due to some basic covid safeguards, but it seemed like there were just more people voting this time.  For early voting (and maybe day-of voting, too?), we can go any station within our county to vote, so I think I could have found other locations that wouldn't have had lines this long, but the inconvenience factor for me to go to them would have led to more time committed, I believe.  fortunately, people were respecting the 6ft distance (near me, at least), though some definitely don't seem to grasp that a mask could be beneficial outside in the line even with that.  I am just so glad to have it done with.

40 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

I voted in-person Friday morning.  Normally, everything takes just about 5-10 minutes here, but this time it took 25 minutes.  I think things were slowed down a little due to some basic covid safeguards, but it seemed like there were just more people voting this time.  For early voting (and maybe day-of voting, too?), we can go any station within our county to vote, so I think I could have found other locations that wouldn't have had lines this long, but the inconvenience factor for me to go to them would have led to more time committed, I believe.  fortunately, people were respecting the 6ft distance (near me, at least), though some definitely don't seem to grasp that a mask could be beneficial outside in the line even with that.  I am just so glad to have it done with.

Day of you have to vote at your designated polling place. It's only early voting where you can go anywhere in the county. 

Got our ballots in the mail but waiting on the info pamphlet with candidate statements. I plan on voting this week and using the Dropbox. I complained about how they got rid of our local Dropbox because of budget cuts, but they brought it back a few years ago and this year they added more locations throughout the county. I can stick it in the mail postage free but I think our area was impacted by the mail budget cuts.

I fully expect Biden to win Washington, it would be a total shock if he didn't. Our governor is not super popular right now because of COVID but his opponent is a small-town redneck sheriff who did poorly in their debate. Other interesting races are State Superintendent and a sex ed bill that has a lot of debatable information or misinformation in it that has a lot of people freaking out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.