The Umbrella Academy

Iceheart

I remain perpetually flabbergasted that it was easier for Gerard Way to become an international rock'n'roll superstar than for him to initially break into comics. He tried to get into comics, comics said 'no! go away! we don't need you for more than an internship!' and so he just sorta shrugged his shoulders and became SUPER FAMOUS instead.

It is seriously hard. I tried for years. My first book came out a couple years ago... and then was cancelled after two issues. There's really only a handfull of guys making a sweet living doing comics, most scramble and scrape without insurance or decent pay.

Marc Guggenheim once told me that he got into TV writing so he could break into comics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, Tank said:

I loved, LOVED the first two miniseries in comic form-- but I really struggled with the adaptation. I found myself bored, over snd over-/ I never finished S1.

For me, it is exactly the opposite.  I've read all of the comics because I find the general ideas in them great, but I find that things just jump around way too much and could be so much better if Way had someone else helping flesh out his ideas into a full story.  I thought the first season did such a great job of taking the great parts of the comic and turning it into a much more fleshed out story.  I went back after finishing season 1 to reread thew first miniseries and found it so lacking in comparison.

I'm looking forward to watching season two soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.