The BOYS

Jedigoat

Anyone watched any of this? I've almost finished with season one. I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting more, I guess. I've heard season 2 is better.

The only characters I like are Butcher and, to a lesser extent, Homelander.

The rest of the cast is pretty weak and forgettable.

I just finished it earlier today. I liked it, but it took some time for me to get into it, probably because of the comic. It changed around a large number of story lines and I think even things from fairly late in the book are in season 1, so I got thrown for a loop at a few times because of the differences.

I will say, I do love how Hughie in the comic was based on Simon Pegg, and when it first came out it was set up as a movie, with Pegg-- but years of development, his schedule, his face lift, and other factors led them to recasting, but Pegg still came in to play Hughie Sr.

I just finished season 1. Gotta admit, the last three episodes got better. Pretty good ending. I was worried it was going to be predictable, and a good amount of it was. I thought I knew what was up but the last two episodes took a few extra turns that I didn't see coming.

I'm going to have to track down the comic.

I saw the first season of this but I'm not really down for a second (unless they bring back Elisabeth Shue somehow, which seems unlikely). I don't really have much of a memory of what my impressions were of that first season --- mostly just thought it was fun to see parts of Toronto insufficiently masquerading as NYC --- or even of the Ennis & Robertson comic series it was based on (there's an arc where they go to a fetish dungeon and there are pictures on the wall of old-timey pin-up models in classic superhero poses from influential covers or posters, like the Superman / Supergirl one from Crisis on Infinite Earths, that's kind of the only thing that instantly comes to mind for me from more than seventy issues). I know they've returned to the series to try and cash in a little more; I don't really have any interest in that, gotta get Garth Ennis to go on and on about a tank or a plane or Francis Castiglione to get me to pay attention to things.

I saw the first season of this but I'm not really down for a second (unless they bring back Elisabeth Shue somehow, which seems unlikely). I don't really have much of a memory of what my impressions were of that first season --- mostly just thought it was fun to see parts of Toronto insufficiently masquerading as NYC --- or even of the Ennis & Robertson comic series it was based on (there's an arc where they go to a fetish dungeon and there are pictures on the wall of old-timey pin-up models in classic superhero poses from influential covers or posters, like the Superman / Supergirl one from Crisis on Infinite Earths, that's kind of the only thing that instantly comes to mind for me from more than seventy issues). I know they've returned to the series to try and cash in a little more; I don't really have any interest in that, gotta get Garth Ennis to go on and on about a tank or a plane or Francis Castiglione to get me to pay attention to things.

I didn't really buy Shue in her role. Her lines, along with Butcher's FBI friend, seemed flat and cringey.

Some of the setups were too convenient. Huey meets Starlighter on a park bench? Who meets on a park bench nowadays?

I've not seen The Boys. All I know about it is it's basically flipping the script on a Justice League type of team, except the super heroes are all d-bags or even villains, and there is another group of underdog heroes who are the real heroes that oppose them. Does that sum it up? Does one have to be a real uber fan of the superhero genre to be into this show? I'm somewhat interested because I saw Brightburn not long ago, which I thought was an interesting take on a Superman analogue character. But I am also kind of superheroed out, so not sure if I want to get invested. Would this be recommended for someone like me?

If you're sick of superheroes The Boysis 100% what you need.

It's about a world where all superheroes are made by corporations, and licensed to the government, and all their deeds and antics are PR/politico grandstanding. Off camera and out of the public eye most of them are awful sickos and on power trips.

The heroes, aka The Boys, are a squad of vigilantes, rooted in a now defunct federal black ops crew, who police the supes via shame, exposing their crap, and a lot of graphic violence.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Season 2 has been really good so far except...while I don’t want to join the chorus of whining fanboys who review bombed it, I do kind of wish they had released all the episodes at once instead of week to week. This show just lends itself more to be binged. My mistake for not holding out I guess. 

I saw the episode in which Elisabeth Shue returns to the show.

I thought it was ... kinda terrible? Over an hour long, bloated, no jokes (I mean, there's the occasional moment of black comedy interspersed throughout the dullness but it's not nearly enough), the plot was like some sort of badly executed Valentine's Day special; I think this might be why I never really got into the show through the first season - it's not good! It's less good than the sincere CW garbage shows and I don't even watch those! There's a kind of arch smugness to the dialogue that I just bounce off of hard, I don't find it funny, I don't find it clever, I just wonder to myself why Meg Ryan's kid is pseudo-playfully insulting his ex's candy choices when it's clear she's in a bad place emotionally (I mean, sure, she seemed to cheer up when they were in the car singing along to Billy Joel but Mother's Milk shut that right down and they've just witnessed a possibly fatal accident - she's texted him for help! Constructive criticism only, Meg Ryan's kid!) and spend my time trying to fathom why the writers decided to include four (4) scenes that revolve around sweets in a single episode. I don't buy that it's a motif! I think they just like candy! I think they just talked about candy all day and stuck it in multiple places in the script and kept it in there because there are four hundred and seventy nine television shows and now each and every television show can be as long as it wants and about anything it wants to be! It is fun to see, say, a couple of distinct Canada Post mailboxes followed by a USA Today newsbox, that's still a level on which I can enjoy the show —  I guess I can look forward to checking in if/when there's a Season 3 flashback episode starring Elisabeth Shue because, hah, they killed her off again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.