Beastie Boys Story

Ive loved the Beastie Boys for 25 years now, ever since I discovered Pauls Boutique at a second hand record store. Up until then, I only knew Fight For Your Right, which was the epitome of 80s extravagance and ridiculousness. The rap version of Twisted Sister. But, for 99 cents, I couldnt resist. It became my favorite record of all-time. When I first got a CD player in my first car (the CD player was actually a boom box, because my car sucked and eventually caught on fire parked in the driveway), it stayed in there for months, even though Id already had the CD for two years by that point. I was hooked, though, and even went back and fell in love with License to Ill. I missed out on the chance to see them with Rage Against The Machine and Common in 2000 when Mike D broke his collarbone in a bike accident and cancelled the tour, but I was able to catch them in a Rock The Vote concert in Youngstown, OH (who the hell holds a concert in Youngstown?) in 2008. The last opportunity before Yauch died.

Anyways, I just learned that this documentary exists, and its wonderful. I had to turn it off because my kids just came home and the language is rough (the f-bomb is dropped constantly by Horovitz). It was totally worth an Apple TV subscription to watch. Its the remaining two Beasties, Mike D and Ad-Rock, telling the story of the band in a theater, interspersed with video and photos.

Based on the general age of people here, I strongly suggest it, even just as a view through pop culture history.

I was a huge fan in middle school and high school-- I drifted a bit after that, but I was still very aware of them and what they were doing. They actually influenced me in tons of ways.

Their music videos (most directed by Spike Jones or MCA as Nathaniel Hornblower) along with early Wong Kar Wai defined everything about the first few things I directed in film school. The idea of some fake moustaches, cardboard robots, and bad green screen was perfect for my budget level ($0).

A few years ago after spotting an old pic of them hanging on an Atwater Village sign, I realized that G-son studios (where Check your Head, Ill Communication, parts of Hello Nasty, Grands Royale Magazine, and a few videos were all made) was literally around the corner to me. People made pilgrimages to the place and I saw it every time I went to the ATM.

Grand Royal was also a big influence when I wanted to write comedy. I can think of a couple pieces I fully ripped off to make funny Lando posts at one point.

They were legit nerd core, punk rock, and hip hop. Their star never fell either, once they hit, they were huge right up until MCA died.

If the Beastie Boys did it, it was cool. End of story.

In HS I was one of my few friends who had a car to drive to school in. I had a 6 CD changer in the trunk. 4 of those sports contained "License to Ill", "Paul's Boutique", "Check Ya Head" and "Ill Communication."

It was only $4.99 for a month, which is what it would have cost to rent from another platform, so I went with it. IMO, totally worth it.

Yeah, that's what I did. I got it for a month then cancelled but binged Morning Show, Mythic Quest, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, and this doc. All very worth it. Have to say, Apple+'s offerings are pretty great.

The new Amazing Stories was just okay, and I wanted it to be... well... amazing.

I really wanted to watch For All Mankind, but since I just made Katie sit through From the Earth to the Moon AND First Man not long before, I couldn't convince her, especially considering there was a show with Jason Momoa that she was, for obvious reasons, much more interested in. I don't think she ended up watching that either though.

I was pretty little when license to ill came out. I was 5 in '89. When I used to get upset about having to go to school (I hated it) my stepdad used to get out his records and blast No Sleep Till Brooklyn to fire me up to go to school. He usually followed that with holidays in the sun by the sex pistols and then I'd be all hyper and ready to get in the car and go.

Oh man, thats so hard. I feel like I could answer now and have a completely different answer in an hour.

As of right now, Sabotage.

Favorite from each album:

License to Ill: Paul Revere

Pauls Boutique: Egg Raid on Mojo

Check Your Head: So Whatcha Want?

Ill Communication: Sabotage

Hello Nasty: Song For The Man

To The 5 Boroughs:Ch-Check It Out

Alive is also great.

Ignoring the instrumental albums because I need to listen to them again.

What's everyone's favorite song?

Really hard to say.

Sabotage is definitely peak Beastie. They had just started playing instruments again and were verging on funk and punk/ but still doing beats and bars. And the video is a classic. Like I said, all their videos were amazing, but Sabotage was the one that set a particular tone and style that they stuck with.

No Sleep Till Brooklyn

Body Movin

Gratitude

Make Some Noise

Check-Check It Out

Jimmy James

She's Crafty

Say It

Paul Revere

Really hard to pick a fav...

I don't care for Brass Monkey. I know that's sacrilege.

My favorite part of all their videos is when they start hitting each other.

The best part was that in their music, their videos, and their live show, they were having fun (except the License to Ill tour). They were three best friends that let everyone else in on the joke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.