COVID and School

I'm both not really a teacher and yet a teacher of everything. I do actually "teach" a once-a-week grammar/writing class for 4-6th graders. I even get paid a bit for it. That's gotta count for something.

Other subjects I guess we could say I teach to my class of 1:

7th grade(ish):

• persuasive writing
  • cartography/geography
  • Latin
  • grammar
  • poetry
  • eastern philosophy
  • American economics/government (focus is on federal elections...like literally every other homeschooler in the US right now)
  • spelling
  • research (this semester it's science)
  • analogies

Preschool/Pre-K/Kindergarten (this kid is all over the place):

• beginning phonics
  • whatever the older child is researching in science this week
  • memory work n stuff

Both grades:

• math
  • reading skills
  • handwriting (I'm failing miserably at this btw)
  • art/music appreciation

All teachers and staff,

Even to the teachers which write sillily worded directions, as perhaps that is just a sign of the struggle you are under amid a lack of appreciation, a lack of funding, and these particularly stressful times.

Thank you, educators, for your dedication to service. Thank you for your dedications to logic, to compassion, and our futures. Thank you for being there in this way to help me raise my children. You are invaluable members of my life.

• 3 weeks later...

So this just happened and I am so upset I can't think straight....no notice...nothing.  Mandatory attendance from the district for all school leaders.  Please consider this before you go to your school and and complain...   Every department is sending out some "mandatory safety meeting" today because we have students returning soon. 

suck.thumb.JPG.411ca8e271e60cc5ef80d33589d256d2.JPG

So applied to a new job earlier this week....

Watching this video brings me to a HUGE PET PEEVE that I have notices lately....people saying shit like, "I appreciate your patience/flexibility/grace" rather than taking responsibility and saying, "I'm sorry". 

8 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Is the issue that there’s a mandatory meeting and they only gave you two hours notice, or am I missing something?

1 hour notice and I have to watch a 20 minute video and during this time I am in other meetings with my teachers and other district meetings on student safety next week. 

That sucks. My job is pretty bad about that, or they’ll suddenly cancel a meeting ten minutes after it was supposed to start, and act like you’re an idiot for not knowing.

Well, less my job than my boss, but same thing.

Interesting that it never happened in the private sector, though.

That's inconsiderate, for sure. I mean, hell, I finally figured out how to set up Microsoft Teams tonight and decided to stick with Zoom for our Girl Scout meeting tomorrow because 18 HOURS is not enough notice for these folks.

We've been having a lot of technology challenges. My son's poor teacher is having a hard time so I do give her a lot of grace. Yesterday, though, I may have not been super gracious when I tried to join a meeting and the password didn't work. She was texting me and finally I said look I've been trying for 10 minutes and I have a meeting, sorry but I give up. I know she felt bad, but it was like look its time to fold 'em. The district is being nuts about attendance (the librarian took attendance to read them a freaking story) but I think she is showing us a lot of grace when it comes to stuff like this. Then this morning it took us 20 minutes to troubleshoot another Zoom login problem. I just texted her to let her know and then told her the solution in case other families were struggling with jt. I can tell she is a good teacher and she is trying super hard. I hope she sleeps in this weekend and has some wine, she deserves it.

We are apparently preparing for starting some in-person learning. Special Education and ELL students are priority before even K-2. My son is doing better than I thought he would (the structure is helpful), but he would do better in-person. I am a little concerned with how little academics I see so far. I get that SEL is huge and that behavior is a major component of his class, but deep down I worry that this is just keeping SpEd kids occupied. I really think my son would do better in a gifted program, but right now he would be too disruptive. I have to get him out of SpEd by the end of the year. Right now they are just watching Go Noodle videos and learning how to take turns and follow directions. Its like preschool for 1st and 2nd grade. I get it, this is what he and his classmates struggle with, but its also getting super repetitive in terms of content. Most of the kids in his class have autism, so its probably comforting to them, but my son is BORED. He keeps yelling out answers anytime they ask a question he knows (most of them), but usually he is muted.

One consequence of all of this is I think kids are going to struggle with no mute button in the classroom environment. I already see how bad this is for my son with very little impulse control. He is going to be yelling out the answer constantly in the classroom. Sorry in advance, teacher.

20 hours ago, Darth Ender said:

Watching this video brings me to a HUGE PET PEEVE that I have notices lately....people saying shit like, "I appreciate your patience/flexibility/grace" rather than taking responsibility and saying, "I'm sorry". 

That’s corporate speak that grew out of the whole “Girl Boss” feminism thing, and if you’re in any “woman in business” space you’ll get hit over the head with it. I’ve found it somewhat useful for dealing with Karens, but there are times that definitely call for a real apology and this is one of them.

Also, I despise corporate speak.

23 hours ago, Darth Ender said:

1 hour notice and I have to watch a 20 minute video and during this time I am in other meetings with my teachers and other district meetings on student safety next week. 

Exactly. At the time you noted in your original post I would be on my way to teaching a class through the schools program online at the same time I am teaching six in person kids in my classroom. This is what causes issues with teachers losing it. It's like the people in charge of making dumb decisions have never taught before or understand what's happening. Just do it. LOL. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.