COVID and School

There has been such a whipping back and forth between information provided by local schools, the state board of education, and even among Texas's state administrators, that I have no clue what our local plans are. The biggest local school district's webpage is a mess, too, but it looks like classes are starting in person in the middle of this month. I am sure I would know more if I had kids, though.

I'm very stressed about returning to teaching my college classes in person, though. Fortunately, both of my classes are small (22 for an undergrad class and just 7 for a grad class), right next door to each other, and are back to back, so I should have minimal face to face interactions and will only be on campus for the shortest amount of time possible. I have masks and I am told that I am being provided with a face shield, too, so I should be good to go on the PPE front, too. It's just nerve wracking. Because we have to be able to provide instructional materials online for any students who either get sick or must quarantine because of exposure, it makes more sense to be essentially making the classes fairly online-centric anyway with face-to-face supplementation. I have ideas for how to handle all of this, but haven't yet been able to sit down and actually figure it all out. I need to do this soon, especially for the class I coordinate, but I also have a bunch of research papers I am trying to finish up before all this starts. As we get closer to things starting, my anxiety has definitely been acting up a lot more.

Yeah, I'm totally freaking out. And in traditional patterns of leadership we are pushing the start of school back to August 17. That's one week later than we were planning to start on Monday. LOL.

And for the freakout some mores I present the first day of school somewhere in GA.

sp44ts8rize51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Yeah, Spam. Those hallways look horrible. I forgot how crowded high. school hallways are in general, but they look especially terrible now. I have gotten to the point that even seeing crowds in tv shows and movies set in modern times makes me feel squirmy.

Yeah, I'm totally freaking out. And in traditional patterns of leadership we are pushing the start of school back to August 17. That's one week later than we were planning to start on Monday. LOL.

And for the freakout some mores I present the first day of school somewhere in GA.

sp44ts8rize51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Anyone wanna play a game called "Who is not voting for Trump".

The sad thing is this is like if I am hit by a drunk driver I am more likely to live if HE is wearing a seat-belt.

The principal of my son's high school resigned today after people lost their minds about a post on his personal FB.

He said:

"When I studied the Holocaust in School I remember thinking to myself: How did Hitler get over 6 million people to follow along and not fight back? Then I realized Im watching my fellow Americans take the same path."

Then, in a funny because he's a disciplinarian sort of way, he added OBEDIENCE IS NOT A VIRTUE.

So the Liberal parents got mad because they saw it is an anti-mask statement. The Trump parents got mad thinking he was calling Trump a fascist, and somehow a petition got circled saying that he was a holocaust denier.

He stepped down of his own accord to avoid the shit show.

Thats crazy. I had to read the text a few times to ensure that I understood it, because theres nothing especially horrible there.

Yeah, or at the very least you have a fake account for actual family/friends. Its been years since I was on Facebook, but back when I was, my cousin who was a principal had a fake name and profile picture so he could post without being caught. In addition to his real account.

My local district contacted parents and said if anyone needs devices then they should call, so we did, and the district is delivering three Chromebooks to my three at home kiddos. Thats a relief. I have already told the kids, once this starts tho, its not like summer vacation with just some school work, there will be scheduled times to sit and focus, and that those Chromebooks arent their personal social media and gaming platforms. My youngest did deflate, but I think even he already knew because other than that visible resignation there wasnt any clap backing.

Bringing up the holocaust NEVER works out!

TRUTH.

Honestly, though, aren't we all about 10 seconds from making a no-regrets social media post that forces us to resign and not have to deal with our jobs? I know I am.

Well, that's what Hitler and the Nazis did to the Jews.

The principal of my son's high school resigned today after people lost their minds about a post on his personal FB.

He said:

"When I studied the Holocaust in School I remember thinking to myself: How did Hitler get over 6 million people to follow along and not fight back? Then I realized Im watching my fellow Americans take the same path."

Then, in a funny because he's a disciplinarian sort of way, he added OBEDIENCE IS NOT A VIRTUE.

So the Liberal parents got mad because they saw it is an anti-mask statement. The Trump parents got mad thinking he was calling Trump a fascist, and somehow a petition got circled saying that he was a holocaust denier.

He stepped down of his own accord to avoid the **** show.

This is EXACTLY why I don't post anything political on any social media. It's cats, dumb pics and stuff about my family. I make a statement occasionally or troll on NPR or the local papers social media but that's about it. I also have been careful to never have my students friended. I have hurt a few students feelings by not accepting their friend requests but it's for the best for me and them and career wise because I also have friends like Tommy and a few others who I love to talk to who say things and I may reply to that can open up a huge can of worms if my schools parents wanted to look deeper and read way into something more than necessary. I don't want to mess with fake accounts. It's too much work with all those damn passwords.

Bringing up the holocaust NEVER works out!

TRUTH.

Honestly, though, aren't we all about 10 seconds from making a no-regrets social media post that forces us to resign and not have to deal with our jobs? I know I am.

I have. That's the beauty of not having "real" jobs. I don't have to worry about that kind of backlash.

It looks like the student was initially suspended that shared those pictures.

Here is what the law looks like regarding this...students DO NOT lose their constitutional right for freedom of speech in school HOWEVER students can be suspended if they cause a substantial disruption to the learning environment.

With that said, this is 100% NOT A SUSPENSION. Idiots like this are what give school administrators a bad name....but they were idiots to begin with to have such poor structures set up and THEY are getting the business.

Disrupting the learning environment is like, I suspended a kid for wearing a topless woman on it and he refused to change shirts so I had his mom pick him up.

I read about that - apparently the school has rules about social media use in school, and publishing photos of minors without their consent. But the girl who shared those photos said that they punish on a strike system, she had never once been disciplined by the school before, and they're treating her like a two-strike student.

It definitely stinks of "snitches get stitches" to me. The article I saw also said that mask use is not mandatory inside the school anywhere, which is why so few students are wearing one in those pictures. This is going to go great.

I believe thats the same district where the superintendent said it would be impossible to enforce a mask mandate.

So apparently its easier to enforce control over social media than a dress code.

Or has ever had to stand up to do the fingertip test for her short/skirt. Or the guys who wore Marilyn Manson shirts to school when I was in high school.

Seriously, I graduated in 99 and in the few weeks after Columbine they banned Marilyn Manson shirts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.