Donald Glover as Lando

Darth Krawlie

I think the prospect of him taking time away from Atlanta (that first season was incredibly good and my hopes are relatively high that it'll match or exceed that level of quality again in the semi-plausible future) and/or from doing anything new to once again just do an impression of a guy from a forty year old movie is disappointing.

I get what RC is saying. Glover's own work is good and this may keep us from getting something original and good. But I also read that he's a giant geek, and a second-generation geek at that, so he may just be freaking stoked he gets to Star War for a living.

* I saw most of the second season! Yeah, it was iffy (why do stories about how weird it is to be rich and famous? who can relate to that? Go back to doing the stories about things which have an instantly graspable universal appeal but that also end w/a guy being run over by an invisible car!) but I still think there can be a return to form.

* I actually don't even think this is happening for real because the site where it was first quote unquote leaked is one of those teensy tinsy nerd outlets. Everyone else just jumped on the clickbait train because this is the sort of thing lots of people want to believe is coming down the pipeline.

* who will play Lobot is there going to be a season long arc revealing Lobot or are they going to be smart and just shove Lobot there in the first episode; are we going to find out the origins of Ice Cream Maker Man or what

Atlanta was cancelled, Glover burned the bridge on his way out. And while his Lando was the best thing about Solo, it's not that I can't see the brilliant mind behind Atlanta doing another mainstream nerd show (it's hard to see him underused on Community), it's that I don't see Childish Gambino doing a career reversal after This Is America.

This is good news, but I was actually kind of hoping for a Lando film trilogy, or at least a duology. I think with the Skywalker Saga ended, having Lando with Glover would work better in the theater, and would leave the door open for Han and Chewie cameos.

I liked Solo and Glover as Lando was one of the best things in it. Having said that I just don't love the idea that they are essentially just choosing characters and building shows around them. An "Obi Wan" show, a "Cassian Andor" show, a "Lando" show. Even the Mandalorian is essentially a Boba Fett show. I understand why they are doing it. It's safe and the shows will probably all be pretty good. I just feel it's too safe, its boring in a way.

I agree with you on Obi Wan and Lando. I want to see more of Glover as Lando, and Ewan as Obi Wan, but I think less is more, and those two characters would work best in films. TV series is a bit much. That is not to say if they were in a miniseries, or even a short series (EG 2 seasons), it couldn't work. But I guess I've been conditioned to believe these characters are meant for the big screen.

But a Cassian Andor series could work just fine, as long as it doesn't go too long. Maybe 2-3 seasons, sort of like the Marvel shows on Netflix.

But you are right, risk aversion dictates safe and established characters to build shows around, and if poorly executed, or dragged out too long, it can water down those characters.

What they need to do is pull a Next Generation, like Trek did. Just jump ahead a hundred, or hell, a thousand years. Get far and away from any continuity, really push the PT/OT/ST era to the distant past. They have all the trappings of SW, and non of the continuity roadblocks.

Atlanta was cancelled, Glover burned the bridge on his way out. And while his Lando was the best thing about Solo, it's not that I can't see the brilliant mind behind Atlanta doing another mainstream nerd show (it's hard to see him underused on Community), it's that I don't see Childish Gambino doing a career reversal after This Is America.

Qué? Entertainment Weekly says that the President of the Network says the third and fourth season (to be shot simultaneously) would be airing in 2021. That was pre-covid, though, back in January so I assume the schedule has changed since ... but cancelled outright? Oh well.

My guess is that any Lando story they tell would take place before "Solo" so that Lando can have the Falcon.

Yeah, that makes sense!

What they need to do is pull a Next Generation, like Trek did. Just jump ahead a hundred, or hell, a thousand years. Get far and away from any continuity, really push the PT/OT/ST era to the distant past. They have all the trappings of SW, and non of the continuity roadblocks.

See, if they were going to use "The Child" like Mando did, that would have been a more appropriate time. I have trouble reconciling The Child in what is supposed to be the Skywalker Saga era.

I have to be honest, The Child makes no sense in a post ROTJ - Pre TFA world. But would make sense 1000 years ABY.

Qué? Entertainment Weekly says that the President of the Network says the third and fourth season (to be shot simultaneously) would be airing in 2021. That was pre-covid, though, back in January so I assume the schedule has changed since ... but cancelled outright? Oh well.

My guess is that any Lando story they tell would take place before "Solo" so that Lando can have the Falcon.

Yeah, that makes sense!

The burning of the bridge had Glover talking hard about it being racially biased, so maybe they avoided drama by coming back to him?

I get the feeling Disney are trying too hard to tell Star Wars stories, and not tell a good story that happens to be in the Star Wars universe. Which leads to less than compelling stuff.

For some reason I want to see a cop show, like True Detective, but it's set on Nar Shadaa or Corusanct or a (combination of a few planets) where some cops/feds/agents (whatever) are trying to solve some grizzly crimes that then turn out to be affiliated with dark side cultists or Sith worshippers or some shit. But all the Jedi/with force stuff is totally periphery, and the focus is the character story of these space cops.

I think Jedi, the force, all that has been done to death..it's not special anymore. I feel like some mystery needs to be brought back to it(the force/Jedi/sith), and having force users appearances happening in sparse punctuated moments rather than being a central focus to a show could be helpful.

I think Jedi, the force, all that has been done to death..it's not special anymore. I feel like some mystery needs to be brought back to it(the force/Jedi/sith), and having force users appearances happening in sparse punctuated moments rather than being a central focus to a show could be helpful.

I think this is why Rogue One was so good. The Force stuff was treated like an old cult being kept alive by a funny monk and his protector/friend, and the focus was far more on the human stories behind the Rebellion. It's partly why I'm really hoping we'll see more SW content that doesn't include the Jedi. I will always hope for a Band of Brothers style series following Rebel or Imperial during the Civil War, something like what they did in the first Battlefront book, Twilight Company.

fuck yeah, a band of brothers following an Imperial unit doing their thing would be great. Especially if they made the characters sympathetic, that we LIKE the people underneath the trooper masks who are carrying out orders for what they believe to be the greater good. (Insert contemporary US military allegory/parallels here)

Or go back a few thousand years. Do a theatrical adaptation inspired by, but not necessarily an exact interpretation, of the Old Republic era. We don't need origin stories of the Jedi or Sith, I just want to see armies of sith and jedi fighting infinity war style.

I think that's what they're trying to do with the new High Republic stuff that's coming, seeing the Jedi and the Republic at their golden height, facing what's been described as Space Vikings. I'd be very surprised if they don't throw some Sith in there though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.