TikTok/Byte

Iceheart

Okay, so, put your kids on for this one: should I, as an Elder Millennial, join TikTok (or Byte if Trump decides that Americans can't use Chinese apps anymore)?

Yeah, I know, it sounds nuts. But I was talking with Mrslukeskywalker today, and I said that I haven't signed up for TikTok because I'm an old lady, and the kids need their own place without their annoying auntie coming in. And Mrs countered that my whole thing could be "old cat lady," and I could make videos of Mr. Fat, and the kids would love it.

Anyway, I am still unemployed and rather bored and wouldn't mind a new distraction. I doubt I'd get more than two followers, but it could just be fun to make weird videos of my cat with all this damn time on my hands. And if I did get more than two followers, well, I have been informed that I'm an excellent role model for all the girls who don't want to live the nuclear family life, so there's that.

But, well, uh... how does one TikTok? How would I go about doing this? I understand you have to dance but it's kind of like waving your hand and bopping your head? The whole idea of this makes me feel elderly.

I feel like TikTok is just an opportunity for me to accidentally see the wrong video and go to prison, since it seems like a substantial portion is underage girls dancing. Doesnt seem like a good choice.

Trevor watches a ton of TikTok. It's not quite as overloaded with stupid kid **** as you might think.

But will I end up in prison?

Also, banning TikTok isnt going to happen. Even if Trump tries, the teens girls making millions will sue and win.

I'm mad that a grown man has to be afraid of using one of the most popular social media sites out there because teenagers use it too, and a girl might post a video deemed too salacious and get that man sent to prison if it comes across his feed. I don't get this "all men are pedophiles" view we have as a society. There's a huge, huge, HUGE difference between happening upon teenagers being teenagers while scrolling through a wildly popular social media app, and saving those videos for later private use, sheesh.

The only promotion Ive seen for Tik Tok is girls jiggling their tiddies I mean "dancing". And when I say girls, I mean teenaged girls. It's cool, I don't mind seeing that, but ya know..there are better places to see jiggling tiddies than Tik Tok. And they might be bare elsewhere too. So... What's the point? It's just another platform for voyeuristic narcissism.

I don't like it. Nor do I want to. Social media is poison.

I'm mad that a grown man has to be afraid of using one of the most popular social media sites out there because teenagers use it too, and a girl might post a video deemed too salacious and get that man sent to prison if it comes across his feed. I don't get this "all men are pedophiles" view we have as a society. There's a huge, huge, HUGE difference between happening upon teenagers being teenagers while scrolling through a wildly popular social media app, and saving those videos for later private use, sheesh.

If you're gonna go down that route of thinking I'd take it further argue men who save those videos for later are not necessarily pedophilic. Hebephilic maybe, which is desiring adolescents who have reached sexual maturity, but are still underage, but pedophilia is a whole nother ball park.

You don't send a teenager to a pediatrician, because it refers to a specific age bracket.

Like what?

Nothing too special tbh. Sometimes, from a different room, I can't tell if it's Trevor watching TikTok or Noah watching video compilations on YouTube. There's a lot of "fail" type stuff, people just being stupid for the camera, some pretty funny people doing legit funny things, etc. Sarah Cooper's Trump videos are pretty awesome. One of our friends is a Presbyterian pastor and he's done a series of biblical videos using contemporary songs and sound clips that are also pretty funny.

If you're gonna go down that route of thinking I'd take it further argue men who save those videos for later are not necessarily pedophilic. Hebephilic maybe, which is desiring adolescents who have reached sexual maturity, but are still underage, but pedophilia is a whole nother ball park.

You don't send a teenager to a pediatrician, because it refers to a specific age bracket.

Teenagers still see pediatricians, though

Like what?

Nothing too special tbh. Sometimes, from a different room, I can't tell if it's Trevor watching TikTok or Noah watching video compilations on YouTube. There's a lot of "fail" type stuff, people just being stupid for the camera, some pretty funny people doing legit funny things, etc. Sarah Cooper's Trump videos are pretty awesome. One of our friends is a Presbyterian pastor and he's done a series of biblical videos using contemporary songs and sound clips that are also pretty funny.

So basically youtube 2.0 for the younger crowd, with more of a social media aspect.

Teenagers still see pediatricians, though
What really? Not if they're 15 or 16, at least not here anyway.

Yeah, thats what I was worried the most about, and why if I really want to do this I think Ill do it on Byte. I read an article about how alt-Tik-Tok has already moved over there, more for the threat of Tik-Tok being banned, tho. Not like every app ever isnt just a data miner, but still.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG YES. First-learn how to identify people only tolling for followers-the "like for part 2!" scams and blow by them. Watch anything animal related.

You need to make videos of Dory, Lucky and Mr. Fat and put them there

OH AND ALSO the "things I SWAER YUOU DON"T EVER KNOW" about your phone is usually at least worth watching for one of his tips-though so many seem to me to be things you don't really want to do. There are a few 'psychologists' that post often and a few seem to be borderline legit. MANY people dance. Many more than I ever knew. SO MUCH dancing

I like TikTok, I also get the issues others have with it. I understand, or do my best to, I should say anyway, how damaging media like this could be to those suffering from ADHD etc... as time disappears with its use perhaps easier than other things.

When I use TikTok, enjoying the idea of small videos, Vines offspring perhaps, I give a video about ten seconds to keep my attention and then if nothing, Im out. More often it takes much less than ten seconds to realize the video is beyond awkward, sqeezy, maybe will land you on a gov list somewhere, or is just plain not good content. When suck videos happen, the ability to just swipe away the offense can be as enjoyable as enjoying a well put together video. Maybe that speaks to something about me or culture, I dunno.

Swipe, swish, watch what you like and do what you wish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.