Indians and Redskins changing names

So the settlers encroached on sovereign lands? Sure history doesn't make the settlers virtuous, but the Indians weren't angels either.

We're getting too detailed here. Getting rid of the team names doesn't change history or facts-nor is it meant to. It's a simple bid to stop the constant reinforcement of institutionalized racism-using these names over and over is a quiet undercurrent of language that became acceptable over time.

OK, after having a couple days to mull it over and calm down, sorry Met. MG's right. I got too far off into the weeds with the historical stuff. This topic is just touchy for me, personally.

My new year's resolution was to try not to do or say things I have to apologize later for. Seems I still have work to do.

I've been a huge baseball and Braves fan since I was a little kid, so I've been following this from their perspective.

I feel like the executives of that team have been really smart to keep an ongoing dialogue with as many representatives of local native nations as they can. From what I've read, they've basically told the team "thanks for asking, we don't mind."

There is some sensitivity about the chop cheer that was originally adopted from FSU, which I totally understand. It is a bit awkward for a giant stadium full of colonial descendants to appropriate something like that. I was a bit annoyed by the idea of getting rid of it at first, but the more I listened and learned, the more I think it should go.

One cool thing that the team is going to do is put a Native American museum in the stadium in time for next year. If they're going to say that the team name is an honorific, I think helping people to learn more about that culture is a big positive step.

Met, you are a smart guy, and that is a shocking statement, assuming you aren't just trolling. Pick up a book Met, and educate yourself.

Here's one to start. https://www.amazon.com/Bury-My-Heart-Wounded-Knee/dp/0805086846/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VT6FAD6XQNE5&dchild=1&keywords=bury+my+heart+at+wounded+knee&qid=1594208885&s=pc&sprefix=bury+my+heart+at+%2Ccomputers%2C217&sr=1-1

On another note, why is the completely obvious so lost on some people? The only answer I can come up with is some sports fans are just simply racist, whether they realize it or not.

Redskins? My take is that is a racial slur. If one can defend that name in 2020, think of this: why not have a team named black skins, brown skins, or yellow skins with a caricature of those ethnicities as mascots? People would riot. So, since that's the case, why is it OK to denigrate Native Americans? Answer: it's NOT OK.

Why can't people see this? It irritates me no end. I'm not the biggest sports fan, but I like to watch the occasional football and baseball game and I have a hometown I like to root for, too.

Thoughts, anyone?

My input, FWIW: the Cleveland Indian logo is racist as hell and needs to go. The name itself needs to go. The name Redskins is a racial slur. The Redskin logo is a case study in cultural appropriation. Calling a Native American an Indian is not only geographically incorrect, but also is an insult Natives have had to endure for over 500 years. It's time to change that. People actually fighting this change to me, are racist, whether they know it or not.

Not directed to any of you here, but for those sports fans who can't see the hypocrisy, I can't do anything for them. I just don't get the mentality of some sports fans. Sports fans need to get the f*** over themselves and their sports fandom and "tradition." Having sports teams in and of itself, is a luxury. It's not the end of the world to change the name or logo of a sports team. Hell, it literally has been done when teams move. Houston Oilers are now the Tennessee Titans. If we can change the name or logo for a syrup company or a brand of rice due to the racial overtones, we can do it for a sports team.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic is pretty close to me personally, and angers me.

I am educated on the matter. I'm even aware of the true nature of the first Thanksgiving. My point was that comparing what the settlers did to the Nazis is a reach.

Snyder should have changed it years ago when it came up again. I get that the brand itself is moneyFor him, but people will get over it. Look at the history of the league. Other than the last set of expansion teams from the Saints-Bucs to the Panthers-Jaguars, I think the Dolphins are the only team that hasn't moved or changed its name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um, Cowboys! There's also the Giants and Bears.

If you went by that, most of the league is an expansion team. Dallas came into the league in 1960, while Miami was 1966.

Really, the league wasn't much of a thing until the late 50's and 60's, but it was the Super Bowl that put the league on the map.

Green Bay is the oldest franchise to never change its name or move,btw.

The 1958 Championship Game is often credited as the start of the NFLs rise in popularity. It was televised nationally and went into sudden death OT, the first football game to ever go into sudden death OT, with the Colts beating the Giants.

Washington Football Team is the greatest team name ever in the history of sports. I think all leagues and all cities should adopt this convention. It fills me with joy. The Washington Sportsters would have been the only thing that could top this..

what's wrong with Kraken, better than the next most common suggestion I saw, the Sockeyes. who wants to be named after a dumbass fish instead of a mythological monster

Did I say I like the Sockeyes? NO I DID NOT. And it is not a dumbass fish, it is a delicious fish! DELICIOUS!!

Kraken is too close to Crack-jokes are already old that call the Arena the Crack House. And we aren't on a dang sea, we're hundreds of miles from a sea. We're on a Sound. And I am already sick to death of the phrase "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" and they haven't even played yet. Seattle Seaborn Invertibates is INFINITELY better than the ****ing Kraken-altough it's going to be tough to beat Washington Football team, tbh

I think I'm gonna buy a Washington Football Team shirt. I'm not and never have been a fan of the team but it's hilarious enough anyway.

I've proudly owned a shirt that says SPORTSBALL! on it for years. I may join you.

Washington Football Team is the greatest team name ever in the history of sports. I think all leagues and all cities should adopt this convention. It fills me with joy. The Washington Sportsters would have been the only thing that could top this..

I think I'm gonna buy a Washington Football Team shirt. I'm not and never have been a fan of the team but it's hilarious enough anyway.

I ****ing love this name....not ironically at all.

Like...legit.

I'm glad they changed the name, and good to vet out team names I suppose and use a temp name, but I think it might work if they name themselves Washington Nationals (but keep their team colors), to go along with the baseball team. Wouldn't be the first time a team name was shared by a football and baseball team.

I'm glad they changed the name, and good to vet out team names I suppose and use a temp name, but I think it might work if they name themselves Washington Nationals (but keep their team colors), to go along with the baseball team. Wouldn't be the first time a team name was shared by a football and baseball team.

Id like to see a bit more creativity. I mean look at some recent team names. The NFL puts a new team in Texas and they are the Texans. The Expos move to the nations capital and they are the Nationals? I mean geez. Im not saying it should be some out there minor league baseballesque name but could try for something a bit different.

Personally I think the name will be "Red..." They will want to be able to keep the "Hail to the Redskins" team song, so it will be a name that can fit into that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.