Next Nightly Video Drinks: 9/6/2020

Iceheart

I posted in the Zoom Drinks thread about this a couple of weeks ago, but nobody noticed, so you're getting a whole new thread about it!

I learned about a site called riot.im recently. It's open source, so it's completely free, no time limits. It has Discord-style chatrooms, Zoom-style video chat, and IM features - it's basically trying to be open source Slack. And it provides end-to-end encryption, and allows you to use your own server for even more privacy, if you want.

Do we want to play around with this and adopt it for our monthly drinks?

I like that there's a chat option. Remember how great the chat room was when we had it? We could do weekly or bi-weekly text chats along with our monthly video chats.

Thoughts?

Im interested. Ive heard that its really great for security freaks and computer nerds, but isnt super user friendly. But I fit into both groups, so Ive been wanting to see how it is. My guess is all of us would fit into the category that could use it, but my mom probably couldnt figure it out.

I really like Jitsi Meet, which is similar but just does videoconferencing, and you can do it in the browser.

Im interested. Ive heard that its really great for security freaks and computer nerds, but isnt super user friendly. But I fit into both groups, so Ive been wanting to see how it is. My guess is all of us would fit into the category that could use it, but my mom probably couldnt figure it out.

Said friend who introduced me to this is both of those things, and they did have to walk me through signing up. But once youre in, its not the prettiest and you have to click around a little to figure it out, but I figured it out, and Im better than a boomer but definitely no computer expert.

I was playing around with riot.im, and created an account and a room (named nightly.net mos eisley cantina), just as a test. I don't know anyone outside of this thread who uses it, so I haven't tried calling anyone yet, so I don't know how well that works. Riot could be overwhelming to folks who don't use messaging apps more complicated than say FB or Zoom. I'm learning this myself, so if anyone wants to meet up on riot before we have the actual monthly video conference, PM me, and maybe we can sort this out before then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.