Matching music to an activity

Are there any activities that require a certain type of music for you? Im grilling right now and it absolutely requires a beer and country music, typically from the 80s and 90s.

Playing first person shooters benefits greatly from metal.

Drinking liquor always benefits from Frank Sinatra.

Driving to and from the beach requires the poppiest of pop music. Lady Gaga is my usual go-to.

Grilling, for me, is more of a classic rock or blues thing. The beer is pretty much essential.

Long baths always go best with a doob and some introspective folk music.

Driving to Las Vegas or making Italian food with a good red wine....Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

Driving in heavy rush hour traffic....classical music or soundtracks (except Conan the Barbarian's soundtrack! Don't drive angry with a battle ax!)

+1 on classic rock & classic blues and grilling and/or kicking back and drinking brew! 1980s pop music is good for this, too.

Going to a locally-owned steak house....I can tolerate live country music for a bit, covering classics like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, or Garth Brooks and the like (most of the time I do not like country music, though). It's more about the atmosphere I guess.

Work out or hiking music....metal, punk, or industrial.

Studying for school or reading.....instrumental guitarist like Joe Satriani, Spanish acoustic guitar, or 1980s synth pop/post punk/goth

Sunny day music including BBQs (you call that grilling I think) for me is 70s and 80s dub/reggae music. Lee Scratch Perry, Prince Far I, Black Uhuru, The Congo's, Augustus Pablo.

Other sunny day music is Turkish Psychedelic rock and dance music. Atlin Gun is a good start point.

Gym is mid paced death metal, faster doom or heavy rock music.

Chilling at home with my wife drinking wine is usually some acoustic guitar folk/blues/neo-folk or very chilled dance music. From Davey Graham, pentancle, nature and organisation, Death in June, Cate LeBon, to Luuk Van Dyk

I literally have never ever been to a pool party. Do those things exist?

It's a strange phenomenon that is unique to North America. :)

A lot of people in the states have pools in their back yard. A pool party is just one where somebody has a pool and invites all their friends over to swim, drink, and later pee in said pool, while denying they ever pee in a pool.

I literally have never ever been to a pool party. Do those things exist?

It's a strange phenomenon that is unique to North America. :)

A lot of people in the states have pools in their back yard. A pool party is just one where somebody has a pool and invites all their friends over to swim, drink, and later pee in said pool, while denying they ever pee in a pool.

I mean, I get it I just always thought they were more of a thing that happens in movies.

I suppose growing up in New Zealand we all did that but at a public beach instead of poolside. And actually, people do that here in the UK too. Go to beach, bring food and music and friends, get drunk, pee in the ocean.

I suppose growing up in New Zealand we all did that but at a public beach instead of poolside. And actually, people do that here in the UK too. Go to beach, bring food and music and friends, get drunk, pee in the ocean.

To be fair, in Australia and New Zealand every form of party is pretty much classified as a BBQ.

well, for the sex, it depends on the occasion. Long weekend away gets a couple hours of tunes, starting with some jazzy sax shit and ramps up to some pop. Let's just do it sex is AC/DC, Zeppelin and the Strokes-no pun intended.

Deep housecleaning is always reggae.

Pool music-far too varied to nail. Runs from Beach boys to Bear Hands, Fitz and the Tantrum to Hank Williams, First Class to the Commodores

Sometimes when I'm taking notes I'll listen to movie soundtracks : John Carpenter, Max Richter, Ryuichi Sakomoto. Some videogame music too : Yuzo Koshiro, mostly.

Exercising tends to be podcasts, not music. Same w/laundry or whatever.

I wouldn't say any of these activities actually require music, though. Sometimes they make them easier but sometimes they make them ... harder? Whooo can fathom the mysteries of the mind, yeah.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.