Gen Z is turning into Boomers pt. 2. Yeah, I said it.

Iceheart

Two minor pieces of news this week - a Millennial found a TikTok where a bunch of Zoomers were dissing on Millennials in the comments. It went viral, and now Zoomers dissing on Millennials in general is a viral trend. The Harry Potter houses dunk is justified, the rest are just parroting stale old Boomer complaints about Millennials, and mocking internet trends from the early-mid 2010's as not as "cool" as the current trends.

It'll be fun to see them on TikTok in 20 years lamenting how utterly cringe worthy their teenage posts were, and begging for the archives to be obliterated.

And The Atlantic published an article today about how the social justice movements happening now are just as big as those in the 60's, and while they did a bit of lumping, they're mostly pointing to Zoomers as driving the movements, not Millennials.

If those little shits turn into nu-Reagan Republicans in 30 years, I will personally slap each and every one of them in the face. I was holding out hope that they'd be the great social turning point until I saw them parrot the Boomers.

Most of their jokes on millennial I've seen have been pretty great. We deserve it from them. I'll take a zoomer joke over a boomer being a shithead and not understanding how to use a cell phone any day of the week.

I did read that over all zoomers more conservative than millennials, which was a surprise to me.

I remember reading an article about some ancient Roman graffiti complaining about kids wearing their hair long mimicking the style of the Gauls in the north.

I sometimes look at pictures from Woodstock and I wonder what happened to these people? My aunt was a huge hippie and never really left the lifestyle. She is insanely smart. She has a PhD in English Literature specializing in Middle English (she is like an "official" middle English translator and has her own adaption of the Canterbury Tales). She did/does a lot of drugs, never really had gainful employment, and openly brags about living off of government assistance including getting a brand new high rise condo in St.Petersburg, FL right on the water that is Section 8. I am very liberal, but she is one of those people that makes me second guess my beliefs.

I remember reading an article about some ancient Roman graffiti complaining about kids wearing their hair long mimicking the style of the Gauls in the north.

Which we always assumed was written by someone older than the long haired kids, but now we may need to consider was written by someone younger than the long haired kids.

Okay, your aunt makes me mad now. I havent seen an unemployment check yet in 2.5 months, so I checked to see if I qualified for welfare.

Mothers of young children, and people over the age of 65 with a disability are the only people eligible for cash assistance in my state. I qualify for nothing because I dont have children. But she gets to live the bohemian life of my dreams on the government dole because shes a boomer? Ugh.

I dunno.

I feel that if someone is qualified for something they should apply for it and I would hope they get it (and that obviously goes for friends here that have said they need it). Any pride and peer pressure that suggests the aid that is there might not be for that qualified someone feels weird and wrong. This is provided there are, of course, no shenanigans going on by the person that applied for aid. Taking aid which you are not qualified for is both obviously illegal and unethical.

As for generations repeating themselves, that just seems like another part of the never ending battle that our beloved fictions always talk about. I guess we just have to do our parts to remain vigilant, self-analytical, maybe also resist any sense of righteousness (which always seems to cloud rational thought), and then continue to tread forward with logic and compassion. Maybe that is why the world is said to be eventually inherited by the meek.

On a personal note, I also have Aunts and Uncles that were hippies. They were part of the great social movements thru the last half of the 20th century. They were progressive, sexually experimental, drug experimental, now they are inflexible GOP who only trumpet whatever Trumps position is. To be clear I dont think being GOP is the issue, just like being DEM shouldnt be one, its the inflexibility that feels like it is the issue... and again, that inflexibility feels born from the sense of righteousness.

I dunno.

HA! Now you millennial know how us Gen Xers felt! :p

When did Millennials ever engage in widespread mocking of Gen X for sport that got covered by legitimate news sources?

Meanwhile, the Zoomers dubbed you the Karen Generation not long after they coined OK Boomer. And I know this because it was covered by legitimate news sources.

People stagnate. Zoomers are still in the learning and discovery phase of their life. A lot of the dunks Ive seen are pretty clearly kids who have never had to support themselves thinking that people who do have to work full time are boring. People who have to work full time are indeed boring. It doesnt leave much time for that learning and discovery thing that makes teenagers so quote unquote cool, so we fall back on comforting old patterns.

Meanwhile, those Zoomers are still in their learning and discovery phase, and theyre clearly learning from their elders. All the media attention theyre getting for these TikTok antics is just going to keep enforcing this generational warfare. Considering were already such a divided society, do we really need this right now? Everyone speculated that Zoomers will be the compassionate generation. I hope it pans out after they mature a bit more.

When did Millennials ever engage in widespread mocking of Gen X for sport that got covered by legitimate news sources?

Pretty much. I feel like Milennials haven't bothered much with GenX, just hating on Boomers and asking the media not to mistake us for Zoomers.

I'm not worried about zoomers yet because as you said Katrina, they're still in the learning and discovery phase. They don't have any real world experience yet. While we were criticized for not already being millionaire card carrying Republican homeowners the second we're out of high school, I don't have any intention of putting the same blame on them for talking shit when they don't know shit.

And yeah, literally no one cares about Gen X. No one ever has. Seems to fit perfectly with their self-image, so why not keep it going?

I think thats why I feel more burned than I should by this. We Millennials know what its like to be hated by an entire older generation, so weve really gone out of our way to be supportive of the Zoomers, because we didnt want them to go through that. And they thank us by doubling down on Millennial hate.

Yeah, theyll grow out of it, we did. But still.

Pretty much. I feel like Milennials haven't bothered much with GenX, just hating on Boomers and asking the media not to mistake us for Zoomers.

I was saying that in fun, nothing serious. :)

But Gen X has got it from WW2 and Boomer gens as "slackers," Zoomers hate everybody, and maybe not wide spread we did get our ration of crap from millennial too. Everyone might like the 1980s, but hates Gen X. Including other Gen Xers. We're the step children of the step children.

Well, to be fair, pretty sure Boomers hate everyone but themselves, too.

well, SHYEAH. YOU DAMN KIDS. You're loud, you're rude and I never got to talk to my parents that way! You're afraid to WORK for a living and you just want everything handed to you! You think the gat dam world owes you a living, well it doesn't!

AND YOU DRESS FUNNY

did I forget anything?

Anyone more than a couple years older than me is a slacker, loser who looks at their phone too much. Anyone more than a couple years older than me is a lame old fart. Just how it is. Kinda like in a snow storm. Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Anyone going faster is a maniac.

Anyone more than a couple years older than me is a slacker, loser who looks at their phone too much. Anyone more than a couple years older than me is a lame old fart. Just how it is. Kinda like in a snow storm. Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Anyone going faster is a maniac.

I guess that means I'm a maniac old fart. Because back in my day, I walked up hill both ways in the snow 10 miles to school, and I was grateful! I was even more grateful to get a muscle car. :)

BTW, if I was out of line with my posts, I apologize to you, Choc. Sorry for being a dick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.