Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

Okay, I finally watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Which was appropriate, because retrograde Saturn moved into Capricorn today.

I can see why you wanted your homage to be an art house horror movie, Tank, because that's exactly what the original was.

I feel like my first time with this movie should have been in a theater with a good audience. It's good watching it with your cat, but this seems like it's more of an experience movie.

I also feel like there's a thesis paper in this movie's universe on how the Sawyers are gruesome but important primitive artists.

Leatherface has a surprising amount of speed and stamina for such a big dude, hauling around a heavy chainsaw. I fully expected Sally to just outrun him during the woods chase scene.

Sally running into the gas station and thinking she's safe, only to find the Proprietor is in on it and hauls her right back into danger? That's basically how 2020 has been treating me.

Anyway, I can see why it still inspires such passion, what, 40-some years later? That was a very well-crafted movie.

It really is one of the best horror films ever-- and gets such a bad rap and often is misrepresented. There's hardly any gore in it at all! I did my best to dovetail my story to it-- I was over-ridden in some spots because it was work for hire, but I'm proud.

The original Halloween is also worth a watch.

Your movie is tomorrow night, I have to turn in early tonight or I'd double feature.

You're right - I can see why it would turn heads in a simpler time, but compared to what's standard today TCM's gore was tame. I appreciated that, it would have been far less effective if they had tried to mock up some cheesy fake gore during the butchering scenes.

Halloween I feel I should wait until, y'know, Halloween ;)

Is it bad that now Im thinking about barbecue and how awesome a smoked brisket tastes?

I see from google that both the house and the gas station have been restored and turned into restaurants, which may be the funniest thing ever. Reese, we must eat there.

It really is one of the best horror films ever-- and gets such a bad rap and often is misrepresented. There's hardly any gore in it at all! I did my best to dovetail my story to it-- I was over-ridden in some spots because it was work for hire, but I'm proud.

The original Halloween is also worth a watch.

I was beyond unnerved throughout the back half or so of TCM. It really was amazing work.

Candyman is one of my all time favorites and I can't wait for the remake.

Same here! Do you know if Tony Todd is still Candyman or will the role be recast?

I also heard there is a remake of Hellraiser in the works, too.

Well to answer my own question, Tony Todd is in it. Awesome! Seems it is a direct sequel to the original film, ignoring the 2 sequels that came after. Also, I just watched a preview, and it has the guy who plays Strand, Coleman Domingo, from Fear the Walking Dead. The preview looked good.

Oof, in theaters in September? Probably a better release date for a horror movie... in a normal year...

Okay, I just finished Setherface.

Bud and Jackson are precious, and I would gladly foster both of them and do my best to give them good lives.

That being said, I 100% thought Bud was Leatherface from the get-go, which I'm sure was intended. I guess a steady diet of man sausage causes quite the growth spurt, Jackson's pretty scrawny compared to the guy last night. Yes, I phrased that that way on purpose once I figured out where that was going.

Regarding that scene that I know you had nothing to do with, Seth, I really hope that "corpse" was covered with cherry gel candy or something, because that scene was asking a lot of that poor girl.

I also thought this cleaned up something that bothered me about the original being an allegory about the ravages of capitalism and the fear of automation... normal, hardworking people born and raised in a slaughterhouse town with their jobs made redundant by robots would sell the homestead and find work in a city somewhere. Sad, but that's life for you. They wouldn't open up a roadside BBQ joint where the feature is human rump roast they lure in from the highway. Saying they would is pretty classist.

... unless they were already murderous nutjobs who had no interest in changing their way of life, and decided instead to monetize it. That's pretty damn clever and resourceful on their part, actually.

Anyway, you done good, Seth.

Hey thanks.

Yeah, Bud was always meant to be a ringer. And Jackson, I always tell people, if you think somebody can't gain a hundred pounds in a decade you've never been to a high school reunion. That said, I'd have cast somebody taller.

Those kids were all great though, especially the girl.

And I don't think I interfered with the allegory of the original. The said the downsizing had started with Grandpa, so I figured the had time.

Mine was all about identity.

Naw, you didnt interfere with the allegory, you made it better.

The guy who played Jackson did a good job at being a tender person stuck in far too many horrific situations, so I guess I cant fault him for being a little smaller than the guy who originated the role.

Turns out horror is good for migraines, too. My pain tolerance is so high that migraines for me manifest in feeling super overwhelmed for no apparent reason, and then later discovering that my head has been in a vice this whole time and my body decided that overwhelm signals were just better than pain signals. Now, this was the 3rd, so I tried to watch Hamilton like this, and you just can't follow a speed-rapped story in that state. So, burn it off with a scare. I went with Insidious, because I saw someone (Zathras?) mention it's one of the best of Hollywood's recent offerings.

Boy is that Mommy Horror. Honestly, the CONSTANTLY crying baby was the scariest part of this movie to me. If I found out that it was a ghost making the kid cry like that, that ghost would have been cuntpunched straight to hell.

Having some actual experience with the topics of the movie, I played "what would I do in this situation?" and it was not what was done in this movie.

I think I figured out why all of a sudden I can do horror. I'm medicated as hell. When I was a kid and going to a scary movie on Halloween was an expected rite of passage, I didn't even have a diagnosis yet. My brain was always in fight-or-flight mode. Jump scares got me too easily, and they really threw me off balance for a while. Nowadays, you have to work to get me with a jump scare. This movie actually did. Kudos to them.

Got another migraine on the 5th, and today is the first day I feel almost normal. So, Assassination Nation on the 5th, and yesterday was Cam and Ju-On: Origins.

The first two weren't really horror movies, but this is my thread, damnit.

I went with Assassination Nation over The Purge for festive holiday violence. One, I liked this movie quite a bit. Two, it's pretty clear that this is how you start a civil war in this country. I'm glad the Boogaloo Bois are white supremacist idiots and think it'll be a race war.

Cam was interesting in that it was a fictional behind the scenes look into sex work, but it bothered me that the ending was a small win, not an ultimate victory. Alice and all the other cam girls can still get their accounts jacked by whoever the deepfaker is. And did the deepfaker kill Baby? Was Alice in mortal danger, not just financial? So it had an unsatisfying ending even though they tried to pawn it off as a successful ending for the MC.

Ju-On: Origins. I spent a solid month after doing a research project in college that involved this movie certain that Kayako Seiki was going to insist on crawling into bed or the shower with me. This show does not have that effect. No jump scares. No ghosts showering with anyone. There's THE house and a black cat and a lot of domestic violence and that's about the only similarities to the movies. What you do get - a brutal rape scene. Extreme violence and gore. Especially against pregnant women. A lot of confusion as to what is going on. And a ghost that looks like it was cribbed from the Dark Crystal set for some reason. It's absorbing, and moves very quickly. I liked it? But I can't say I enjoyed the experience of watching it.

OH BY THE WAY in horror movie news that I'm sure everyone else has seen already, Candyman has been pushed out to October, and the two Halloween movies have been pushed to 2021/2022, respectively. October... may still be sooner than I want to sit in a theater. Heh, this may be the first time going to a horror movie could cause you to actually die.

Paranormal Activity. I watched the 2nd one a couple of months back, I can't remember if it's before I started this thread or not. You can definitely watch these out of order and not miss anything.

Micah is the WORST. He is the biggest asshole. He is a huge Kevin. I was rooting for the demon. It took until the very last moment of the movie, but damn it, at least they did the right thing at the end. And did he have to find the most Satanic Ouija board ever? :lol:

That house was decorated just like my cousin's circa 2006, same TJ Maxx wall hangings and everything. That was pretty hilarious.

I argue that you can watch them out of order. 3 is technically a prequel (and the best), but 1 and 2 happen concurrently, and it makes sense to watch them in that order. I was up for writing 4, but didn't get the job-- but the director was who I teamed with on Hell Fest.

Lords of Chaos. Which only got labeled horror because there's a lot of violence and gore, and the nightmare sequences are unsettling and have a few jump scares. But, I mean, it's a true story about a band, it's not going to be a typical horror movie.

Norwegian Black Metal has never been my thing - the music was definitely not the point for them, and being someone who likes music, I could tell. But I know one guy who goes by Euronymous (and so do you), and one who goes by Death (he's off-boards) both in honor of the people who inspired the characters in this movie, so this seems like a story I should be familiar with.

Honestly, the best part of this movie for me was the guy who played the guy from Burzum. He was just the perfect whiny kid trying to be a badass (we all knew them in HS), and apparently the real guy is pissed that the actor is Jewish, and that's brilliant, because **** Nazis. Not being a fan, I can't speak to how authentic and accurate the movie is, but if you're okay with the camera staying focused on the violence and gore while it's happening, it's not a bad movie.

Also, the first church they burned? I have never once seen that church before this movie, but I swear I dreamed it once. Weird.

Keeping up with the metal theme, House of 1000 Corpses.

This is one of those movies that when it came out (17 years ago now) I noped it immediately after seeing the trailer ahead of another movie as being far to intense for me. Imagine my surprise last night when I saw who was in it and realized it was a comedy.

I mean... kind of a comedy? More of an overt homage to the genre done in a music video style? It reminded me of stuff like Repo! The Genetic Opera, and the art films Malice Mizer did back in the day. Both things I watched just fine 10-15 years ago.

I'm trying to figure out if I think Bill Moseley is actually an attractive man, or if it's because he looks like The Witcher here, and I've been conditioned.

Sheri Moon would have made a great Harley Quinn 20 years ago.

As for Captain Spaulding, this is what would happen if he were a real person: My dad would meet him at a gun and knife show. They'd become friends. He'd end up being Uncle Captain, and I'd get texts like "hey, can you come run the tours this Saturday afternoon? I'll pay you with chicken and weed." And I'd do it, because I'm not doing anything else so why not? Yes, there are a few Captain Spauldings in my life already.

Not the kind of horror that does what I'm looking for it to do, but I'll probably watch a few more of Rob's movies when I'm in the mood.

Rob Zombie is basically horror's Quentin Tarrantino. His movies work as a pastiche of homages to other films. His track record is not as good as QT's though. House of 1000 Corpses is super fun, and the sequel Devil's Rejects is probably his best.

The rest of his movies are not so great, sadly. I just watched 3 From Hell, the third movie in the Firefly trilogy and it was awful. I kind of like his Halloween remake, but most horror fans don't. You may dig Lords of Salem... H2 and 31 are straight up unwatchable.

He's a super nice guy though. And a vegan, which always makes me laugh. I can introduce you to Bill Mosley if you want... much like QT Zombie he also casts people from the movies he's borrowing from. Mosley's Rufus is across between Mandon and Choptop, the character he played in TCM2.

The lady who owns the thrift store I volunteered at said she just watched 3 From Hell, too, but I think she liked it better than you.

I mean, I am planning on a trip to San Diego in like... 2-5 years or whenever it's safe to travel again, it's not like LA is that far away, I could schmooze with you and a horror legend or two while I'm in the neighborhood.

I am actually not surprised about the vegan thing. I know a fair amount of people who look like they live hard as fuck lifestyles who are actually hardcore vegans.

Forgot my morning meds yesterday, so, a long walk and The Autopsy of Jane Doe until today's dose kicked in.

That bitch has a kink, is all I have to say about that.

Also, some cutesy pop band I listened to in the 90's covered that "Let The Sunshine In" song, so you just can't creep me out with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.