Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

The first was good for the time and for what it was, and for the use of the internet in marketing in a way that I don't think has been done as successfully before or since. Taken solely as a film, you're right, it's not good - except for the fact that it's super low budget and intentionally made in a style that isn't high quality. But as a cultural landmark, it hits bigger than most movies with 100x the budget.

This, 100&. To watch it now, without the hype, it's just okay. If you've seen a bunch of found footage horror, it probably won't float your boat. But at the time it made a huge impact. I remember being all over the internet getting into it about the same time I first came to nightly.

Which makes me 356232345 years old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fear Street 1666 - it was not an evil witch, it was an evil warlock that framed a lesbian. This is why I held out until the last movie.

Uzumaki - I’ve never read any Junji Ito just because I’ve not read much manga. But I’ve seen frames of his work, of course, and I thought it was pretty clever how they made a live action movie look like his distinct style. That being said, the movie drags a little.

And not a movie, but my grandma said she watched a woman in a white nightgown walk around the house the other night. No one who lives here owns a white nightgown.

• 2 months later...

No One Gets Out Alive - a little slow but not bad until they got to the monster… they shouldn’t have shown the monster. It was basically a preying mantis with vagina dentata.

Midnight Mass aka how to twist the Bible to excuse anything! Also, monologues. So many monologues.

In The Earth. I watched exactly an hour and bailed.

nuCraft. Okay, it was heavy-handed… David Duchovny was Toxic Masculinity Personified. And why do kids in movies like these sound like walking social justice Twitter accounts, no one really talks like that, right? But for what it was it was a cute Girl Power kind of movie that I could see young teens watching with their moms, kind of like Moxie. It was fine, I don’t know why so many panties were in a bunch about it last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not!

Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin. You expect something unique from Paranormal Activity movies, and this just didn’t have it.

Saw. Yes, I got a chance to see Saw. I saw Saw, even.  I still don’t understand why Adam was marked for death from the beginning. And how Jigsaw could play that dead for 8 hours. For what reason?

Spiral: From the Book of Saw. I’m guessing the sequels just get more and more stale as they go along, so I skipped to the reboot. Has no one bothered naming the new killer Pigsaw?

The Unholy. Basically Midnight Mass meets Fear Street, wherein a small, very Catholic town is plagued by the ghost of Jumpscares McGee but they think it’s the Virgin Mary. Now, you can’t tell me Jumpscares McGee wasn’t the town’s favorite scary story. The 1850’s isn’t even old for Massachusetts. And, it would be in the community’s best interest to preserve the story if it’s, y’know, true.

The scene where the family is moving out because they didn’t want God anywhere near them was LOL.

Also, between this and Midnight Mass, horror really makes Catholics look bad at their own religion. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Iceheart said:

V/H/S 94, because I had my disability hearing yesterday and needed a good scare.

The mad scientist making cyborg/human hybrids was my favorite, the Michigan militia was my least favorite, but overall it was really good!

Hail Raatma! That one creeped me out, that creature was so freaky looking.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, CoLA said:

Hail Raatma! That one creeped me out, that creature was so freaky looking.

The news desk scene at the end of that one… I could not have deadpanned that, kudos to that actress!

Black Christmas (197…4?). And here I thought Scream was the first to do the “killer is calling from inside the house!” bit.

Grave Encounters… so the last third of the movie or so is actually really good, but getting there was so boring that I was in a doomscroll by the time it got good, and it never quite managed to keep my full attention. I think you need to watch this one in a theater.

Seance. I figured the maintenance guy was the killer from the beginning, but the why was actually pretty clever. I enjoyed this one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.