Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

3 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

Soooo... priests were too “enlightened” to take care of a demonic presence, but the Satanic Panic was in its heyday.

Huh.

The Satanic Panic was mostly the result of Jack Chick, who absolutely hated Catholics. So there wasn’t as much crossover as you would think. 

Im aware of Catholic parishes hosting D&D nights during that time.

Knives flying and priests refusing an exorcism? Man that is crazy Fozzie!  My Mom said when she was a teen, she lived in a haunted house in Pasadena. The house had a couple that died in it.  My mom said she saw the woman a couple times in apparition form.  Her mom said she saw the man's ghost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly some of the most disturbing footage I've seen is on Paranormal Caught on Camera on the Discovery+ app. There are quite a few clips they show that I cannot fathom to explain in pragmatic terms. I'm skeptical of the paranormal and even more doubtful of the spiritual realm. But some of these clips.. really have me questioning my beliefs..

The clip of the little girl in Russia levitating in the woods.. 

I'm the opposite, the caught on camera stuff I never buy because I know how easy it is to fake. I'm way more bothered by things like Brando's post-- somebody I know, who isn't prone to being ridiculous or making shit up, speaking their truth.

Nocturne. Isn't Blumhouse supposed to be horror? This was Black Swan with pianos.

House on Haunted Hill (1999). Okay, that is not a HOUSE. It is an ABANDONED ASYLUM. HUGE difference. And with a façade like that and built into a cliff... how were these people just popping down into the basement and then just popping up into the attic? But this movie was all kinds of fun.  And predicted influencers.

I freaking love House on Haunted Hill. It is peak 90s/early 2000s horror and I just love every absurd minute of it. It's full of nonsense and unbelivable things--but also has really great legit scares. When the chick sees the ghosts on her video camera, but not in the room, and the turn and look at her-- one of my favorite creep-out moments ever.

That happened to me once kind of! I was taking pictures of the Ursuline Convent in NOLA, and there were these lights that I could see zooming around on the camera, but I couldn't see them just with my eyes.  Nothing particularly scary, but kind of cool.

House on Haunted Hill was clearly made for the sheer enjoyment of it, and I dig that.

Ring 0 : Birthday. I read the book ages ago, so I can tell you they followed the book weirdly closely except for the ending.

You Die. Italian Pulse. 

Deadwax. I started this because I didn’t want to stay up hella late, so 20 minute episodes seemed like a great idea until I binged six of them. I am learning a LOT about vinyl.

On 5/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Tank said:

I'm the opposite, the caught on camera stuff I never buy because I know how easy it is to fake. I'm way more bothered by things like Brando's post-- somebody I know, who isn't prone to being ridiculous or making shit up, speaking their truth.

Yeah, I agree.  When you know the person, and you know they don't make up stuff, and tell you in a serious manner they saw something, I find it a hell of a lot more credible (and sometimes more scary) than a re-enactment you see on Travel Channel or a movie. 

Also, we need to resurrect that paranormal thread of yours from a while back! 

17 hours ago, Tank said:

I freaking love House on Haunted Hill. It is peak 90s/early 2000s horror and I just love every absurd minute of it. It's full of nonsense and unbelivable things--but also has really great legit scares. When the chick sees the ghosts on her video camera, but not in the room, and the turn and look at her-- one of my favorite creep-out moments ever.

I like the 90s version too.  It sort of kicked off a bunch of ghost story movies around the same time, too.  Rose Red, and Ghost Ship come to mind.  But I also still have special love for the original with Vincent Price, too. 

On 5/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, Tank said:

Typically I can dismiss or I search and read about a debunk of the videos like the Cork Ireland BS video that was featured. Obvious the students were playing up the October Festival they were hosting. However there is a good amount of vids on the show I simply cannot fathom in pragmatic terms. Maybe I am a fool? But there seems to be some element of unexplained phenomenon...

American Mary. Which is a Canadian movie. And yes, look at me dipping into body horror just 17 days before surgery.  And I enjoyed it! (although I skipped the rape scene.) I figure, what the hell, for some reason the first episode of Lost is on right before I get on a plane and I inevitably watch it through. Might as well do the same here.

The end of Deadwax - part seven reminded me of the note on the back of Procul Harum’s first album, “to be listened to in the spirit in which it was made” aka “this is stoner music, my bros.” That is one psychedelic music experience. Interesting ending although a little confusing in parts.

Kairo. Japanese Pulse. Not my first time through this one. It’s theoretically scary. In the right theater setting, it would be deeply chilling. But knowing what to expect... the scares don’t quite land.

A Haunting in Connecticut. The teenage boy carried the whole movie. The dad looks like Tucker Carlson.

Know Fear. I watched the whole thing even though it’s not great.

A Haunting in Connecticut: Ghosts of Georgia which could just as easily have been called A Haunting in Georgia. Has one of the best depictions of ghost dreams I’ve ever seen.

Caveat. I watched it because I saw a review that said it was like “if David Lynch had made Saw” and ehhhhh... that made me expect a lot of quirky characters going in, and there were zero quirky characters, just one quirky contraption that was more Saw than Lynch, and one quirky doll that they never explain. There’s a lot about this movie that goes by completely unexplained.

Otherwise, it’s basically an Irish ballad about familial madness and murder made into a movie. Not a bad watch, but not as good as that one review gassed it up to be.

Yeah, it’s actually not intended to be a horror film from what I’ve read. It was intended to be a sequel in a different genre, leaning more to sci-fi comedy and less horror comedy.

15 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. I knew it was bad, but damn. I didn’t expect it to be that bad.

I watched it years ago and I don’t remember anything about it other than it was bad, but not bad enough to be good.

I was upset after watching BW2.  I know many don’t care for the original, but it was effective for me.  Maybe that’s partly because I grew up and still lived not that far from Burkittsville, but it also reminded me of shit that freaked me out when camping in similar types of woods in the Boy Scouts.

When the second one came out on video, I had already heard it wasn’t liked as much as the original, though not necessarily that it was bad, but was just shocked at how completely they messed it up.  The idea of tying directly into the popular response of the first movie and dealing with group delusions could have been a nice movie, but they clearly were not cut out for it.

I watched the third one a few years back and I liked it much better. Not saying it didn’t have issues, too, but I enjoyed it.

15 hours ago, Zathras said:

As if the first one needed a sequel, or was good, for that matter.

The first was good for the time and for what it was, and for the use of the internet in marketing in a way that I don't think has been done as successfully before or since. Taken solely as a film, you're right, it's not good - except for the fact that it's super low budget and intentionally made in a style that isn't high quality. But as a cultural landmark, it hits bigger than most movies with 100x the budget.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.