Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

I recently tried to find my "limit" when it comes to horror. So I googled most disturbing horror movies and got a top 10 list. Made it all the way to #2. Martyrs was #3. #2 was "A Serbian Film" got to a specific scene and I instantly deleted it. Found my limit...

Yeah. Serbian Film was a no go for me too. I love horror, but I still classify it as entertainment. While i can appreciate pushing boundaries, I have no interest in something that isn't fun. Depraved and fun I am all for. Depraved, bleak, and intentionally cruel is not my jam.

What was #1?

15 minutes ago, Tank said:

Yeah. Serbian Film was a no go for me too. I love horror, but I still classify it as entertainment. While i can appreciate pushing boundaries, I have no interest in something that isn't fun. Depraved and fun I am all for. Depraved, bleak, and intentionally cruel is not my jam.

What was #1?

On the list I was following Salo was #1, AntiChrist was #4, Cannibal Holocaust #5

Serbian Film is WAY more upsetting than all of those. Salo is jacked up, but it’s so stilted and theatrical it’s hard to take literally. Cannibal Holocaust is hokey and Antichrist is booooooring!

I heard of that movie, no desire to see it after I read the synopsis on wikipedia.

When it comes to horror, I can go up to levels like Hostel or Saw, but that is about it.  While not as gory and is way low budget (and just a bad film), psychologically, the movie Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, really disturbed me for some reason.  Probably because like Tank mentions, it is mean-spirited, and there is no fantasy element to it.  It seems to glorify serial killing, and is almost like the film maker was living some fantasy while making the movie.

Henry was also shot on such a low budget that it feels insanely real. I appreciate it., and am glad I saw it once, but once was enough.

Nekromantik 1 and 2, Tetsuo: Iron Man, and Emperor Tomato Ketchup are the movies that have disturbed me most. 

17 hours ago, Tank said:

Henry was also shot on such a low budget that it feels insanely real. I appreciate it., and am glad I saw it once, but once was enough.

In the sense that the film's low budget does make it feel real, I agree, and it was effective.  Not sure if that was intentional, or just coincidence, but that is also the thing that disturbs me about the film: the real feel of it.  It seems like almost a confessional or diary of the film maker, on his desires to be a serial killer.  I can see why it has a cult status for some, but for me, it is a bit too "real" in that I almost feel like it was intended to be a how to for being a successful serial killer, where someone sick enough might actual take it as advice.  It is a real bummer of a film. 

Just read the wiki entry for A Serbian Film, and that's a big hard nope. I can't even figure out which part Shockey noped out at, because it's all so nope-worthy. I also wiki'ed Henry... that one's a maybe if I ever come across it, but I'm not about to seek it out.

Honestly, I read so many wiki entries before I see films that I have yet to encounter anything that's stuck with me that hard... because I screen them all out first. 

The Skeleton Key. Um. I'd love to see someone like Jordan Peele make a horror movie about Hoodoo. A white dude from England? Maaaaaaybe not your wheelhouse, my dude.

It’s funny how we were sucked in to reading by people saying how bad it was.

Why can’t I learn from others? Why must I fail on my own?

I feel like this should be a tik tok challenge - film yourself reading the plot synopsis from Wikipedia. Don’t even have to watch the movie, just read the wiki.

Paranormal Activity 4. I am watching these all the hell out of order.

Okay, who tf was Robbie, then?

2 hours ago, Iceheart said:

I feel like this should be a tik tok challenge - film yourself reading the plot synopsis from Wikipedia. Don’t even have to watch the movie, just read the wiki.

Paranormal Activity 4. I am watching these all the hell out of order.

Okay, who tf was Robbie, then?

Honestly, I don’t think the order matters at all. I watched them all in order but I didn’t give a damn about the story. Was there even a continuing story? I think there was, but it’s a found footage jump scare fest. I couldn’t tell you a single characters name and couldn’t have told you during the movie. But I did enjoy them. They know what they are and they do it well.

You jerks. There’s totally an order.

1 and 2 happen simultaneously, each focusing on one of the two sisters. 3 is a prequel about the sisters as kids. Ghost Dimension and Marked Ones are stand alone stories that take place after 1 and 2. Ghost Dimension connects to the first 3 in its final bits and is revealed to connect to the end of 2.

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

You jerks. There’s totally an order.

1 and 2 happen simultaneously, each focusing on one of the two sisters. 3 is a prequel about the sisters as kids. Ghost Dimension and Marked Ones are stand alone stories that take place after 1 and 2. Ghost Dimension connects to the first 3 in its final bits and is revealed to connect to the end of 2.

I didn’t say there wasn’t an order, just that I don’t think it matters. But my nephew is obsessed with the mythology, and he’s seen them all on opening night. 

I just don’t care about the story, but I’m also not a huge fan of the particular genre. Found footage is a great idea for a low budget, but my personal preference for horror will always be slasher films. But I also spent my early years in haunted houses (real ones) so the haunting movies are never as scary as what I actually saw as a kid.

7 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I didn’t say there wasn’t an order, just that I don’t think it matters. But my nephew is obsessed with the mythology, and he’s seen them all on opening night. 

I just don’t care about the story, but I’m also not a huge fan of the particular genre. Found footage is a great idea for a low budget, but my personal preference for horror will always be slasher films. But I also spent my early years in haunted houses (real ones) so the haunting movies are never as scary as what I actually saw as a kid.

I currently live in a haunted house, and I’m the exact opposite. I’ve only met a couple of ghosts who were genuinely scary. Most are just... there. I’m so used to them I just don’t get spooked. That’s why I like haunted house movies... they’re nothing like the real deal.

3 hours ago, Iceheart said:

I currently live in a haunted house, and I’m the exact opposite. I’ve only met a couple of ghosts who were genuinely scary. Most are just... there. I’m so used to them I just don’t get spooked. That’s why I like haunted house movies... they’re nothing like the real deal.

Among other things, I saw a drawer full of silverware fly across the room at my sister’s head.

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Among other things, I saw a drawer full of silverware fly across the room at my sister’s head.

That's a demon, not a ghost. And I'm surprised your parents didn't call a priest.

Poltergeist types and demons are warded against at my house, and if they get through we kick their asses. 

31 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

That's a demon, not a ghost. And I'm surprised your parents didn't call a priest.

Poltergeist types and demons are warded against at my house, and if they get through we kick their asses. 

They did call a priest, but this was the 80s during a time where most of the priests were too enlightened to believe in stuff like that.

The Catholic Church was really weird in the 70s and 80s, along with all of the abuse stuff. Fortunately most of them are dead or super old now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.