Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

The Void. Surprisingly good, although drew more than a few comparisons to Hellraiser II toward the end there. I swear every fifth basement in Horror Movie Land is an entrance to Hell.

Romero’s Season of the Witch or possibly Hungry Wives. Very good movie just in general, but I’m not sure why it’s considered a horror movie. Psychological drama more like. And the sheer 70’s-ness of it! How did those people have any liver function left?

My wife decided to watch some horror movies recently.  I finally got her to watch Alien.  She was glad that it wasn't another supernatural horror flick and she thought Ripley was awesome (of course).  She didn't react as viscerally to the chestburster as I thought she would, but I'm glad she liked it well enough.  Now to get her to watch Aliens in spite of or because of the very different genre.

We also watched the new Invisible Man with Elizabeth Moss.  She initially stopped it early because she thought it was just going to be about Cecelia getting over Adrian.  I told her it was going to be a sci-fi horror movie, of a sort, if she would keep watching, so she decided to put it back on.  We both ended up liking it well enough.

Hulu’s Books of Blood, and if you’re wondering why Clive Barker’s name isn’t on this, well, it’s no Clive Barker.

The first one is an Ellen Page movie without Ellen Page. The twist is eh.

The second one is a hyper abridged retelling of the original movie, but it’s very eh.

The third is about a couple of like rare book gangsters who go looking for a Book of Blood. Probably supposed to be a callback to the hit man at the beginning and end of the original. It’s... eh.

Not sure why I finished this, tbh. The twist is, again, eh.

17 hours ago, Tank said:

Season of the Witch is one of my favs. You want good late 70s/early 80s style, try Ghost Story and Don't Look Back.

The Changeling is another good one.  Not too scary by today's standards but a good double feature with Ghost Story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, Iceheart said:

Colour From The Dark, which is one of those movies that would have ended in 10 minutes if those people saw smoke and smelled a foul odor coming from their well, and decided the well was unsafe, boarded it up, and dug a new one.

Color Out of Space, which was an adaption of the same story, and featured Nicholas Cage giving a lecture/demonstration on how to milk an alpaca around 20 minutes in. Arguably a better movie and definitely did a better job of explaining why these people would drink that water, but I have to hand it to Italy for doing the story purely through the actor’s performances. The visuals here were aces, tho, I would have liked to see a bit more of this in the movie adaption of Annihilation.

The Exorcist. Boy, does it take a long time for that kid to get possessed. And then even longer for the priests to get there. Good movie other than being a little slow. Wasn’t this billed as the scariest ever when it was first released? Ha ha, it’s not that.

Thirteen Ghosts. Not my first time seeing it, but the first time in 20 some years. This movie gave me awful nightmares back then.

The dad is the DUMBEST character ever. The son is the second dumbest. Otherwise, I wonder why this movie wasn’t bigger than it was at the time, I thought the effects would be laughable 20 years later, but it all holds up. 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:59 PM, Iceheart said:

The Exorcist. Boy, does it take a long time for that kid to get possessed. And then even longer for the priests to get there. Good movie other than being a little slow. Wasn’t this billed as the scariest ever when it was first released? Ha ha, it’s not that.

Well, one has to remember in 1973, the US public was not as secular as today.  The idea of a teen girl being possessed by the devil, and the graphic nature for its time was pretty shocking because people back then were more religious.

Watching Exorcist now, is like trying to watch a Ray Harryhausen style stop-motion dinosaur movie made in the 1960s, when you've grown up after Jurassic Park was released.

5 hours ago, Zathras said:

Well, one has to remember in 1973, the US public was not as secular as today.  The idea of a teen girl being possessed by the devil, and the graphic nature for its time was pretty shocking because people back then were more religious.

Watching Exorcist now, is like trying to watch a Ray Harryhausen style stop-motion dinosaur movie made in the 1960s, when you've grown up after Jurassic Park was released.

I would concede your point if they hadn't said the same thing about Veronica on Netflix just a couple of years ago. Very similar movie, very similar hype, also just a well-done horror movie that's only scary if you're very easily scared. I think it's marketing, and the power of suggestion from said marketing. And I am saying this as a person who believes in demons and demonic possession myself.

Not to mention, for being practical effects, they were pretty good. The green goop was a little much, but it didn't detract from the overall thing they were doing.

Fun fact about The Exorcist, when it came out my grandma was friends with a bunch of nuns and priests (it sounds like they roll pretty hard, btw). She went with said bunch of nuns and priests to see it. The priests just HAD to see it because they had of course been taught the Rites of Exorcism, and they wanted to know if the movie got it right. My grandma also didn't think the movie was all that scary.

Of course The Exorcist would scare a kid. It would have scared me if my parents had let me watch it. You have to remember I grew up super religious and only saw a handful of horror movies before recently. I don’t have the nostalgia factor for these movies that you guys do. 

20 hours ago, Zathras said:

Nothing wrong with not having nostalgia. I am old, so my tastes in film and movies is different. But for its day, Exorcist was ground breaking, but I can also see not everyone agrees. 

I never said it wasn’t ground breaking. I just said it wasn’t the scariest movie ever. Two vastly different things. Of course it’s a ground breaking movie, that’s undisputed.

But it’s cool if you have different opinions. The only horror movie that ever scared me was Halloween 4, when Michael grabs his niece from under the bed. It’s just a dream, but it was the only part that scared me as a kid. Other than that, no horror movie has scared me. The Exorcist was super scary for the time, but horror has changed. Heck, movies have changed dramatically. It’s almost 50 years old. Our expectations have changed. Watching it today is completely different than even watching the rerelease in 2000.

I would say that The Exorcism of Emily Rose is scarier than The Exorcist, even though I wasn’t scared by either. But the people I was around were more scared by the latter, but even that’s.. 15 or 16 years old probably?

Bad Hair:

I FEEL stories about young talent in the media during a buyout, oof.

I liked how they made it look grainy like it’s a VHS find.

The scariest thing here is colonialism and societal conformity. That being said, I could barely watch the scene where they sew her weave in.

Okay, moss-haired girls were a real thing - white women with hair teased into an Afro (yes, that would make me a “natural freak”). It was a sideshow act. Flipping that and making it literal was actually pretty clever.

Dawson is really making a career for himself playing the Evil Corporate White Guy.

And I need to take screenshots of Anna’s clothes thrifting with me, she had some fire looks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.