Icy Watches Horror To Manage Her Anxiety

Iceheart

What if they just hired a black actor?

I also refuse to believe anything in 2020 will have any impact after 2020. Im not even convinced there will be an after.

It could be worth a whole thread, tbh. If we really want to have a good bitch session about this. Not like you'd want to re-write everything you deleted out here, I'm sure.

We Summon The Darkness. They get all the awards for plot twists. Like, the first one is obvious, but the rest I genuinely did not see coming (especially thanks to not seeing any of the promo art before watching the movie). Good for them!

Honestly, I am too mentally exhausted these days for a good debate. I made a point based on my opinion, but I don't want to turn this into a lyceum thread, which is why I retracted it.

Besides, this is about horror, and I don't want to derail things.

Book of Blood, aka Dark Academia: The Movie.

That... actually really succinctly sums up my thoughts and feelings about this movie. And it makes me wonder why the TikTok and Tumblr kids haven't seemed to discover academic horror yet. They're all stuck on stuff like The Secret History, which I gave up on maybe a quarter of the way through because it was so unlike my actual experience as a Classics major. They could be watching a guy turn into an book, but noooooo.

This is making me want to join TikTok and auntie the kids even more.

The Devil and Father Amorth - interesting. Although not filming the follow-up in the church makes me "pics or it didn't happen" their story.

Abattior - the idea, and the visuals of the house itself were good. Those stray rooms in the woods would make a really cool haunted woods walk feature. The writing and acting were horrible.

Ladronas de Almas. Two different kinds of horror here - zombies, and slasher-style murders. The zombie scenes were incredibly tame, gore-wise, mostly because the slasher scenes ate up all the budget with the buckets upon buckets of blood. It moves a bit slowly at first, but once it kicks into gear it's fun to watch the girls go completely mental on the intruders.

I started watching Midsommar a little while ago after realizing it is on Prime. I turned it off very early on, though, because my anxiety flaring in large part due to me already being on edge about so many things. It seems like watching horror has the opposite effect on me from Katrina.

Poltergeist. The false ending and then everything going completely bonkers is definitely what makes the movie. Also, the dog bringing his toy to play with the ghosts. SUCH a golden retriever move, although I have never met a dog who likes ghosts.

I took a cemetery tour in New Orleans, and our tour guide said that kind of stuff would happen pretty frequently IRL in the early days, before they figured out that living below sea level makes above ground internment a necessity. I'd say I'm talking about the bodies popping up in the rain and when people dig swimming pools (two things the tour guide specifically mentioned), and not the hauntings, but, well, its New Orleans, I took a ghost tour, too.

The Ritual. Vague teaser descriptions piss me off, and Netflix is the king of vague teaser descriptions. It's a monster movie, and not a bad one. My observations: it took me 15 minutes to figure out that was Thomas the evil second butler from Downton Abbey. That cabin they stay in is like the Full House house of cabins. There is no way there could be multiple rooms in that tiny loft space. I want to go hiking in that forest! Even with all the dead trees, there is SO MUCH LICHEN and I would be in heaven. And since the monster is one of Loki's sons, and it's obsessed with making people kneel, does that make this a Marvel movie?

Also, I feel sorry for the Sami people of Sweden. They already have to deal with so much racism, and now there's two new horror movies out there of made-up indigenous Swedes who are all about gruesome human sacrifice. That can't help. Unless they can somehow leverage it into a "still want to fuck with us, ***holes?" kind of thing.

Book of Blood, aka Dark Academia: The Movie.

That... actually really succinctly sums up my thoughts and feelings about this movie. And it makes me wonder why the TikTok and Tumblr kids haven't seemed to discover academic horror yet. They're all stuck on stuff like The Secret History, which I gave up on maybe a quarter of the way through because it was so unlike my actual experience as a Classics major. They could be watching a guy turn into an book, but noooooo.

This is making me want to join TikTok and auntie the kids even more.

OH YEAH one of my college professors asked me to give a presentation to current students about all the things I've learned about adulting (I may have to use that word multiple times just to piss the Gen Z kids off) since I graduated. Which was 2009, so basically they want me to speak to strength and resilience in the face of adversity. But I'm actually throwing in mini-workshops on stuff like how to build a professional wardrobe cheaply, and how to do customer service well. I may even give them a tutorial on building credit.

This presentation would be given mostly to Classics students. You know, the quintessential Dark Academics. Should there be a mini horror workshop y/n?

The other night, I finally got around to watching The Lighthouse. Man, that was a crazy trip!

So, it's good? I've been curious about that one.

I thought so. It's more a thriller and journey into madness with an unreliable narrator approach than a straight up horror film, but also has elements of the supernatural (or is it?) and murder (or does it?). It is black and white, rude and crude, too.

The other thing I liked about The Lighthouse is the cinematography. Being monochrome really highlights the island, sea, and the lighthouse itself. The aspect ratio is 4:3 (black bars on the sides) and at first, I thought something was wrong, because who uses that ratio anymore, but it is intentional, and given the movie is centered around isolation and madness, it works.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.