Playstation 5 Reveal

Zerimar Nyliram

What are your thoughts on the PS5? Personally, I like the design. I will definitely get the version with the disk drive because I like owning physical copies of games and I love the feeling of popping the disk in (I'm old school like that). One thing is for certain: they'd better provide us with an adequate hard drive this time around. I've had to upgrade both my PS3 and PS4 with 2TB SSDs.

PS5 will more than likely be the system I get but I think Microsoft won the design competition against Sony this gen - this design is just a bit tacky in my eyes.

Yeah, first word that came to mind is hideous. I don't like the asymmetry. I think minimalism and clean black matte is the way to go. I'd want a console to blend in with my audio system and 4K TV, not be an eyesore, highlighted with blue lights.

The graphics look amazing, though. Too bad I don't game much anymore, but if the upcoming Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance III AND a true D20-style RPG (not a MMORPG, just RPG) spiritual sequel to The Knights of the Old Republic hits PS5, I might consider it.

I was hoping for a Mass Effect remaster/remake/5 drop, but they aren't ps exclusive, so I was prob dumb.

Half the games looked amazing, but I have learned that these sort of announcements are always rendered footage and not gameplay, and they will never come out on time.

I have an Xbox One and PS4 and (pandemic boredom aside) I'm only getting truly invested in a few games a year. I'm always looking for games to play and not being impressed.

The box itself is hideous. Xbox def beats them on console design... but the reverse is true of controllers. I hate the CXbox controller, it's like a toy. The PS5 controller looks super cool,

Have Xbox redesigned their controller for the new one as well? I always preferred the Xbox controllers over the PS ones and loved that Nintendo unashamedly ripped it off for the Pro controller on Switch. . . which out of all the current gen controllers, looks the cheapest but feels the most premium. Just feels more comfortable than the PS controllers (for me at least)

I was hoping for a Mass Effect remaster/remake/5 drop, but they aren't ps exclusive, so I was prob dumb.

Half the games looked amazing, but I have learned that these sort of announcements are always rendered footage and not gameplay, and they will never come out on time.

I have an Xbox One and PS4 and (pandemic boredom aside) I'm only getting truly invested in a few games a year. I'm always looking for games to play and not being impressed.

The box itself is hideous. Xbox def beats them on console design... but the reverse is true of controllers. I hate the CXbox controller, it's like a toy. The PS5 controller looks super cool,

Yeah a Mass Effect game on PS5 would definitely get my attention too. PS almost always releases a 1.5 version, to maybe PS5 will get a redesign at some point.

PS almost always releases a 1.5 version, to maybe PS5 will get a redesign at some point.

Good point, might actually hold out until they release that. . .not that I dislike the design enough in hopes it'll get a drastic relook, but good to wait for some proper gen games to come out for it.

Yeah, I play Mass Effect on PC, so I wouldn't be interested in a remaster on consoles, unless that remaster also comes to PC. In fact, I always prefer a PC release, unless it is exclusive to a certain console; and the fact that almost all Xbox titles are released for PC anyway is part of the reason why I prefer Playstation.

PS almost always releases a 1.5 version, to maybe PS5 will get a redesign at some point.

Good point, might actually hold out until they release that. . .not that I dislike the design enough in hopes it'll get a drastic relook, but good to wait for some proper gen games to come out for it.

I'll get a PS5, but I'll get the HD only version and hide it behind something so I don't have to look at it.

The more I look at it.. just... UGH. It looks so cheap and easily breakable. The host of that vid is roght it DOES look like a 90s era Alienware tower... and that's not a good thing. Maybe I'm too much of an apple snob and like minimalist design-- but yeeesh.

I'll get a PS5, but I'll get the HD only version and hide it behind something so I don't have to look at it.

The more I look at it.. just... UGH. It looks so cheap and easily breakable. The host of that vid is roght it DOES look like a 90s era Alienware tower... and that's not a good thing. Maybe I'm too much of an apple snob and like minimalist design-- but yeeesh.

I am not a fan of blinging out gaming PCs with LEDs and plexiglas, and I always hated the Alienware look. Just way tacky. It's pretty sad when the PS2 looks way better than the PS5.

Yeah, I play Mass Effect on PC, so I wouldn't be interested in a remaster on consoles, unless that remaster also comes to PC. In fact, I always prefer a PC release, unless it is exclusive to a certain console; and the fact that almost all Xbox titles are released for PC anyway is part of the reason why I prefer Playstation.

I'm with you on that. I haven't bought a console in forever. The most recent console I owned is an Xbox360. I just saw no benefit to buying consoles when I don't game much anymore. Gaming horsepower has shifted more to the graphics card. So you don't need the newest PC, if you have a good graphics card. I have a PC connected to my 4kTV, so I don't really need a console.

Can those PC graphics cards power a BIG TV? Like a 72"? The primary reason I have stayed a console guy (on addition to being an Apple guy) is that I love my TV/sound system for games. Big and Loud.

My son recently built his own gaming tower, and is a PC gamer. He's telling me it's better... but it I dunno....

Can those PC graphics cards power a BIG TV? Like a 72"? The primary reason I have stayed a console guy (on addition to being an Apple guy) is that I love my TV/sound system for games. Big and Loud.

My son recently built his own gaming tower, and is a PC gamer. He's telling me it's better... but it I dunno....

Yeah they can - I mean, I did that exact thing when Skyrim came out. At the time I'd just built a high end PC and had one of the Windows Xbox controllers and hooked it up to the TV. It played far and away better than the PS3 and Xbox versions of the game at the time and looked significantly better. To be fair it wasn't a 72" but a 40", but considering this was nearly 10 years ago I'd be really surprised if a PC graphics card couldn't handle 72".

The only issue is dealing with gaming on the PC again - I've also become an Apple guy over the last 10 or so years and got sick of dealing with compatibility issues etc so just settled with consoles. It's nowhere near as cumbersome now as it was, but it's still not as convenient as just playing from the console.

Though since Nintendo released the Switch, I'm finding traditional consoles a bit more restrictive. Love being able to play a game on the TV, take it to bed with me or even while I'm taking a dump. No lag in performance when you swap from docked to handheld and the "instant resume" feature is something I really hope Sony & MS learn from.

My custom-built PC is hooked up to a 52" 4K monitor and a Bose sounds system with subwoofer. I put about $8,000 total into the whole project back in 2016. That was back when I had money.

Certainly. Especially if you have a good 4K TV and a decent PC with a decent video card. I have an older card now, but I can run even modern games, on mid settings. I mean you really should have at least an 4th gen i5 Intel processor (or AMD equivalent), and an SSD or M.2 for a boot drive for gaming. Consoles are more specialized and you are guaranteed a certain level of performance. But there are graphics out there that exceed consoles pretty easily. You can even link video cards together for additional performance. Just comes down to preference and how you game. PC gamers like to customize not just the PC, but in many cases, they are also programmers and mod the games they play, adding new details, types of characters, or even new levels that the game didn't come with. Console gamers are more for the convenience of getting down to playing the game.

The analogy I would make is you can either buy a new Dodge Challenger RT or build a 1969 Camaro hot rod. Either way, it gets you the performance you want.

PC master race here so, not super interested in the PS5. Not a fan of the design either.

Gaming is waaaaay better on PC tank, your kid knows his shit.

There is going to be a bunch of new tech (GPUs and CPUs) being launched towards the end of this year so I'm deffo going to be in the market for an upgrade to my rig early/mid next year

i think there was a part of me that was feeling like PC gaming was limited to a mouse and a desktop sized screen, even though I know that isn't true. My son plays that way. He buys a new $100 mouse every 4-5 months he abuses them so hard.

I mean, I play at my desk with a 27" curved screen with a mouse and keyboard because that's how I like to play. But you can totally set one up with a controller and hooked up to as big a screen as you like.

The main thing with playing on a TV versus a monitor is the screen refresh rate on most TVs isn't nearly as good as mid/high end monitors. Meaning on a 4K TV or even a 1440 TV your unlikely to get frame rates much more than 30 fps. But with a decent enough GPU (not available on current gen consoles) and a mid tier monitor you can easily get a stable 60fps if not a lot higher depending on how much money you spend. Which makes for much smoother gameplay. Once you've had 60fps you can't go back.

That all said, you can still totally set a PC up to play like a console, sitting in a sofa or cushy chair.

• 3 weeks later...

If I could go back in time, tell myself to wait two years and not buy the PS3: SE that they paraded as a new system, I would have held out and just gone with the One S and bought the PS4 when an exclusive came along. In six years, I think I've only finished three or four games on the PS4 whereas, thanks to the revolutionary Game Pass Ultimate (the best streaming service available IMO), I've probably played three times that on the One S in 8 months. The DS4 also is extremely uncomfortable and the Xbox controller is flawless and fits in my hand like a glove. I love the fact that the controllers will be forward compatible and Microsoft doesn't need to correct perfection - I've never heard a valid complaint against it that didn't sound like juvenile fanboyism.

Xbox Series X just didn't give a fuck about design; they went more practical. PS5 just looks like an oversized router dressed in EVE's skin. The only in Sony has with me over the next decade is FF7R-2 and that's going to be three years at the least; I don't see the hype with Sony and it's exclusives except Uncharted and that's done. Spider-Man was really just redressed Arkham.

Xbox Games Pass is probably going to be what puts Microsoft back to the forefront. That really is a killer service - I think Microsoft pretty much killed off Google Stadia with it. I think one of Sony's selling points is their exclusives but even then they're not the position of Nintendo who own that regard, and they probably have the worst online service & marketplace than any gaming company.

Technically, Uncharted is done but Naughty Dog are focused on the Last of Us games which are bigger now than Uncharted was at its peak - but you make a good point about exclusives. Aside from Spider-man, have they announced anything yet that's specific to the next generation? As it seems like all the big releases are coming out on both Xbox and PS on both generations.

• 2 months later...

So, Microsoft have blinked first and revealed their pricing - Sony should be announcing shortly you would think so the pre-orders can commence!

I am a PS chap. Had my NES, SNES and N64 and then moved to PS1 (due to the FF games relocating there) and all the way through. Looking forward to the new model - my PS4 was one of the early ones, so like others I have space issue and rather than go the easy option of buying extra space, just uninstall games to load up the new one. I don't switch around too much - play one to completion and then move on! May come back to them, but won't be for a while.

Aside from the Switch, haven't bought a console since the PS4 came out. Pleased with the backwards compatibility - wish it covered PS3 also as I had the infamous "Yellow light of death" on mine sadly, so a number of classics I can't replay there.

I also prefer having the physical copy of the game, so will opt for that version of the console. Old school! :yes:

It'll be interesting to see what Sony do with the price, because it'll be hard for them to match the cheaper Xbox model.

I'm actually thinking of getting both for the first time - Xbox mostly just for their game subscription service since I don't have a PC anymore, and a PS5 later down the track once more exclusives are out.

I have had both consoles for the last couple gens, but now that I have a PC gaming rig that will get any Xbox exclusives, I doubt I'll get one ever again.

That said, the graphics upgrade I'm now experienced my keep my off the PS5 too-- unless they truly lure me in with exclusives, but that could take YEARS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.