Work stress

It's pretty obvious that my boss doesn't like me. I mean, glaringly obvious. I hit all of my metrics, sometimes tripling the number of files closed per week over the goal. My other metrics stay within the acceptable range even if I'm rarely hitting exceptional, but she's micromanaging me in a way that nobody else gets. Like she'll call me about an issue, IM me, put a note in the file, and email me. All about something that she told me to do and then doesn't understand why I would do it.

Now I'm getting automated messages saying that she's setting up a Performance Improvement Plan for me. In short, it seems like she's trying to fire me even though my work is objectively acceptable. And if anyone else reviews my work, I do get 100%.

I'm now stressed enough that it is effecting my work, which sucks. I'm really in a shitty mood and hope the union is on my side.

Get the union involved now, don't wait. Someone with acceptable performance by the numbers should not be on a PIP. It sounds like she's trying to create some false documentation that she has had to guide you and micromanage you to make your numbers be acceptable.

My husband had something similar happen to him early in his career so that he couldn't move on past a terrible manager who needed him to save his bacon, and he is a top performer and highly regarded in his skill set. Manager ended up getting fired later for something unethical.

I talked to the union and they basically said to document everything, that a PIP isnt something they can get involved in, but keep every email, summarize every phone call, and track everything.

Middle management is ALWAYS threatened by one of their workers when it becomes obvious said worker could do their job better. I think she sees you as somebody they would replace her with, so she's doing her best to note/sabotage your standing.

The fact that I was 3 weeks experience short from getting a supervisor position a couple years ago supports that theory.

Meanwhile my work stress is I have too much of it. I mean school is over but my other job is declaring us to have mandatory overtime. So I want to work less than 25 hours a week but my schedule was 43 hours for this week. I'm exhausted and I'm making mistakes and or don't actually care. I laughed at a guy who said he signed up to do the survey after the call and I need to treat him nice and give him what he wants. I probably deserve a PIP because of that but commmmmme on dude.

I would save all the documentation that is being sent to you. I hate micromanagers.

Yeah, I am saving it. Im also going to start recording conversations so I can transcribe them. They could maybe say Im not allowed to record, but as far as they would know Id be transcribing it in real-time.

But theres nothing in writing about recording conversations, and they pretty much to list all the reasons for discipline.

And Ohio law says only one party has to be aware of it.

If they're going to fire you, definitely let that happen and don't resign. Not only will you be eligible for unemployment compensation (assuming you've been at this job for long enough) but then you'll be able to pursue legal action. I'd definitely lawyer up.

But hopefully you'll get off your PIP and continue working there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.