George Floyd and the protests.

Ms. Spam

True confession time: I would 100% be partying at the Chaz if I were in Seattle.

We have an art collective here that throws epic parties in abandoned places like this. Its amazing.

The difference is that said collective does their stuff in neutral places in the name of art, and doesnt try to co-opt important causes for the sake of a party.

So, yeah, Im not exactly in support of what theyre doing... but it sure looks like a lot of fun.

I am bothered by all the blame put on Antifa. Every report Ive seen is that no one can verify Antifa has been anywhere present at any BLM protest in any city. But our own government is telling everyone that Antifa is behind all the violence. Another article I read was about how cars driving into crowds of protesters is becoming more common. So, right-wing zealots can make vehicular manslaughter trend, but a group that cant even be proven to be anywhere near the protests are the enemy?

Not to mention that Antifa started as the Nazi Resistance. Our government is demonizing anti-fascism, while giving white supremacists every pass. Theres something really scary about that. I dont think Trump is a dictator, but I can see him setting the stage for a real one to take control in the future.

I mean,most people who march with Antifa are regular type people who just don't like nazi fuckwits which is perfectly reasonable.

The actual management and organisational structure of Antifa is run buy hard-core, hard-left, anarcho-communists who want to disassemble the State entirely and start again in some kind of Marxist utopia. So depending on your own political leanings that may or may not gel. Like the far right, Antifa are not shy of using violence for their own objectives, but because being overtly anti-fascist is virtuous and in line with mainstream consciousness (despite what people think most people do hate fascism) the violence and rhetoric perpetrated by Antifa, until recently, has generally gotten a free pass.

Now are Antifa a terrorist organisation? I dunno. But they are no choir boys/girls. They are quick to throw the fascist tag on individuals/groups/artists with the flimsiest supporting evidence (which is massively destructive and irresponsible). Regularly close shows and ruin the reputations of people oftentimes for no legit reason and bring violence to otherwise peaceful gatherings (like underground metal shows) based on the heresay of potential fascism. That's my main beef with them: they censor, shut down, wage hate campaigns and use violence against artists and fans of artists that are deemed unacceptable in their world view, which is a world view run by people in the hardest of left, ultimately.

In principal everyone should be marching with Antifa. In reality, they do as much harm (if not more) as they do good.

When people asked if George Floyd with less to change I was pessimistic. We all were on board at first, but then the looting and riots started. I thought that would turn people off. Then there was the defund the police movement. That turned more people off. Now you have what happened in Atlanta. I'm sorry but I can't see how you can justify more violence after the Rayshard Brooks video. I have to say that he deserved to get shot, but that was far from what happened to George Floyd. Now people are just going to see blacks as a violent community. Good job guys.

Jesus Tami THERE IS A MULTIQUOTE BUTTON

AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT OKAY.

CHAZ is also now CHOP. Seth's view is accurate. It's actually now becoming a little too gentrified but they say they're sitting there until demands are met. I'm with them.

And this city likes to do 'pop up parks' in which they'll block off streets and throw down some astroturf and stage chairs and tables, effectively doing the exact same thing this protest has but I'm the only person I know who complains about this

When people asked if George Floyd with less to change I was pessimistic. We all were on board at first, but then the looting and riots started. I thought that would turn people off. Then there was the defund the police movement. That turned more people off. Now you have what happened in Atlanta. I'm sorry but I can't see how you can justify more violence after the Rayshard Brooks video. I have to say that he deserved to get shot, but that was far from what happened to George Floyd. Now people are just going to see blacks as a violent community. Good job guys.

and what would YOU do

Jesus Tami THERE IS A MULTIQUOTE BUTTON

AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT OKAY.

CHAZ is also now CHOP. Seth's view is accurate. It's actually now becoming a little too gentrified but they say they're sitting there until demands are met. I'm with them.

And this city likes to do 'pop up parks' in which they'll block off streets and throw down some astroturf and stage chairs and tables, effectively doing the exact same thing this protest has but I'm the only person I know who complains about this

and what would YOU do

What would you do?

If Tami is using the mobile site, theres no multiquote button ;)

So, I made a post on Instagram yesterday after getting some honest and some snarky asks about my non-involvement with the current BLM protests. Its the first time Ive been truly honest about my health in public. I lost a follower. Such compassion.

Mobile is just a skin, even on your phone you can go to the bottom of the main page and click to switch it.

And yeah-- the concept that the left was the politics of compassion has been destroyed fir me.

I think thats a big part of why we see things so differently- you actually believed that there was a side that was objectively good and a side that was objectively bad, and its hard to see those notions fall apart. But I havent believed that since well before I could vote, so for me its just Yeah, theyre still both bad but this side is worse because Im not disillusioned in any way.

The Left and Right have both been more about outrace culture than actual principles for at least my entire lifetime. Its why the abortion fight continues, because both sides benefit from outrage and would lose support without using that issue. Its why the Democrats could never really get a strong stance against Bush and WMDs and waterboarding, because they didnt want results, they wanted outrage that swept Obama into the White House. And then Republicans emerged with outrage about Obama, starting with the boots on the ground Cant call it the WHITE House anymore types all the way up to Trump, who went from ridiculous conspiracy theory racist crackpot to ridiculous conspiracy theory racist crackpot president.

Overall, I have a large, varied group of friends and stay away from echo chambers and read varied news sources, and I can say that theyre both bad, but that doesnt mean theyre equal or anywhere near it.

I've always lived in, and been a part of very liberal groups. My parents were hippies, I went to art school (twice), I work in Hollywood. It's hard not to think of the other side as bad. I've always felt like all politicians were corrupt to some degree, but at least there were people in the Democratic party that seemed to take a stand on things, or challenge the status quo.

It's really taken seeing how they buried Bernie (and I say that as NOT a Bernie Bro) and the level of virtue signalling going on right now for me to see how full of crap the Democratic party is.

• 9 months later...

I have been watching this trial or the updates.  Today, the prosecution entered the 4 body cam videos into evidence, which depicts the whole murder.  We have seen much of it, but this was a whole different animal.  The raw footage, foul language, and watching beginning to end from multiple angles really is a gut punch.  I don't see how a jury can NOT convict on murder 2, now.  Floyd looks absolutely terrified from beginning to end.  It seems to appear the poor man even pissed himself,  while the knees of 3 men were on his neck and back.  Utterly disgusting.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

It’s horrible and it seems like the evidence is insurmountable.

Chauvin will probably be found not guilty.

Of 2nd degree?  Possible.  But I think the reason the prosecution worked to get 3rd degree back in was to cover their bets.  If not on 2nd, definitely on 3rd.  But if it goes down like that, then the jury has to be full of complete morons. 

10 hours ago, Zathras said:

Of 2nd degree?  Possible.  But I think the reason the prosecution worked to get 3rd degree back in was to cover their bets.  If not on 2nd, definitely on 3rd.  But if it goes down like that, then the jury has to be full of complete morons. 

This is America. There’s a good chance he’s going to be found not guilty on all charges.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

This is America. There’s a good chance he’s going to be found not guilty on all charges.

Anything's possible.  Juries are unpredictable.   I think it unlikely they will find him not guilty.  But, could be a hung jury, which effectively is the same thing. 

As long as they all have atleast 1 brain cell, I think he will be convicted of at least murder 3.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.