George Floyd and the protests.

Ms. Spam

Anyone got an opinion?

We have a person organizing a rally in San Antonio today at Travis Park. There will be armed counter protestors at the Alamo claiming that they're protecting our Civil War monument the Cenotaph from being destroyed. Some small part of me wants to really go out to Travis Park but I'm going to stay home. So much feelings and being raw and after being pent up for two months in a house makes me think this will end badly.

The problem with the protests are that they hey ignored when fools use them as a cover to loot and destroy stuff. I feel for those actually trying to say something.

We see this in Seattle often. People not associated with movements show up to rallies like May Day or Black Lives Matter (and our own protests this weekend) with the intent to destroy. I'm not sure if they are an actual organized group or if they are anarchists or just a bunch of ***holes. They dont care about the actual cause at all.

It's no wonder this happened. When you take 4 days to arrest the officer that is the most guilty in the murder, you are going to have a riot on your hands.

The problem with the protests are that they hey ignored when fools use them as a cover to loot and destroy stuff. I feel for those actually trying to say something.

We see this in Seattle often. People not associated with movements show up to rallies like May Day or Black Lives Matter (and our own protests this weekend) with the intent to destroy. I'm not sure if they are an actual organized group or if they are anarchists or just a bunch of ***holes. They dont care about the actual cause at all.

Agreed. Most of the looters and rioters don't have any skin in the game. It's just an excuse for criminal activity.

It's no wonder this happened. When you take 4 days to arrest the officer that is the most guilty in the murder, you are going to have a riot on your hands.

I see what you are saying, and there is truth to it, but still, no excuse for rioting and innocent people getting hurt.

Also, the reason I think it took so long to make an arrest is because it was already a high profile case, and the police and DA want to make sure all the facts were in, so that the criminal cop didn't get off on a technicality. Especially in a case where a police officer is the one who committed a crime, cases like that have to be handled especially carefully.

Agreed. Most of the looters and rioters don't have any skin in the game. It's just an excuse for criminal activity.

I see what you are saying, and there is truth to it, but still, no excuse for rioting and innocent people getting hurt.

Also, the reason I think it took so long to make an arrest is because it was already a high profile case, and the police and DA want to make sure all the facts were in, so that the criminal cop didn't get off on a technicality. Especially in a case where a police officer is the one who committed a crime, cases like that have to be handled especially carefully.

I think they are being very cautious but I think manslaughter will be easy to prove. I know a lot of people are losing their minds about only being charged with 3rd degree murder (looks like MN is one of the few states that has that degree, which may be why people are losing their minds). They do need to be cautious because they can't let him get off, so I think 3rd degree is fine. From what I read, I think 2nd degree is risky.

I think its going to be hard period, because its unfortunately a political issue and were a polarized nation. Hell, finding a jury that can actually listen to the evidence and decide is going to be difficult.

There's a big protest about 2 miles from my house, maybe less. It was peaceful. Now there's tear gas and rubber bullets.

The protest was in part George Floyd, and part because a black guy was arrested at a trolley station here while waiting for a friend to come get him. I've spent hours at trolley stations waiting for a ride. Never once been even approached by an officer. There's video of this where the cop arrests him saying the guy swung at him. Never happened.

**** the police. All cops are bastards.

I'm all for a riot, I was in (but not an active participant) the London riots in 2010, but I can never understand burning down and trashing your own neighborhood. Sure, smash up some H&M stores or your Aldo's or your large corporate chains.. but setting fire to your local corner shop is a dick move.

LOL. Someone(s) left downtown, traveled over to my side of town about 6 miles away and set the parole office on fire near me. A set of sprinklers kicked in and only one office in the building was damaged but damn people. Otherwise just some windows and public art were defaced with graffiti or broken and a few planter pots overturned. Tear gas drove a lot of left over protestors home.

I saw that a police horse got a broken nose from a brick in another city.

People were out in force without being asked downtown to come and clean up. They met in the same park where protestors gathered yesterday with garbage bags, brooms and rags and paint remover and buckets and everything is slowly being cleaned up on a cool humid Sunday morning. They then broke up and went all over downtown SA to pick up the shambles left behind by some really bad decisions people. It's sad because a lot of small businesses already struggling with the virus and no tourists will now have to make insurance claims to get doors and windows replaced and stolen product replaced - if they even had insurance.

Our cops were super well trained. They took some verbal abuse but no one was truly harmed. We had the mayor on at midnight asking us to be good and going over some curfew things. They just were calm and actually helped block off streets so the protestors marching could walk in the streets. My ex's partner went and filmed it.

I've heard Michael Brown referenced five times this morning. THIS is why nothing ever gets accomplished. Bringing up Michael Brown tells me you're not serious. The Eric Garner outage must not have been big enough for these kids to remember. Here was the first I can't breath.

For us in our news they've brought up that guy who asked this woman to leash her dog in NYC, Floyd and a guy, Mike Ramos, in Austin who was shot with his arms raised. Maybe once Trayvon Martin was brought up. My parents are seeing a lot of people bring up Ahmad though and it went worse for them in Atlanta. San Antonio has one of the largest Martin Luther King Jr parades in the US and I think because we're a blue collar military city people didn't want to risk jobs or lives as much as some cities populations wanted to just so they could act out.

When you marginalize a specific segment of the population for hundreds of years, this is what happens. People see this as a reflection of the individual rioters, but this should be seen as a reflection of our society.

It is amazing that we know so much about how poverty is cyclical (for example, how poverty effects the brain through developmental years) and yet we still not only view providing social nets to help the poor as wealth redistribution or punishing the rich, but actively promote systems and structures that prevent people from escaping poverty.

After two straight nights of the worst (and possibly first) riots in my lifetime in our normally quiet downtown, Indianapolis will have its first ultra-strict curfew tonight.

My workplace downtown had its windows busted out, which is arguably minor since it's a skyscraper, but it sucks to see the damage photos.

The same (proportionately worse) happened to my local comic shop, as if they needed more headaches on top of their last three months' COVID hardships. Ditto for dozens of downtown restaurants. The CVS across the corner was set afire. I did see footage of three protestors hurriedly putting out some would-be arson at the breakfast joint down the block before it could really flare up, so that was a heartening glimmer of encouragement in an otherwise nightmarish Midwest weekend.

But at least we cured police brutality and millions of non-racists have pledged to go to police academy to replace the monsters who'll need to be weeded out, so that's pretty magical.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.