Snyder cut is happening

Zathras

7 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Met, Chubra, Tank, Krawlie, PLEASE diagnose me.  I legit want to be cured.

What is wrong with me?

No really...what is wrong with me?

I am not trying to be ironic on contrarian.  This isn't some cultist thing, like The Big Lebowski, where certain people with a certain specific sense of humor just "get it". 

I am a nerd.  I went to conventions before it was cool to go to conventions.  I played DnD as a kid in the 80s before it was romanticized to be a nerdy kid in the 80s playing DnD.  I was a member of both the computer club and AV club.  I used to skip school to go to the fucking library.  Does this look like the kid that was spitting mad game at the ladies????

TCKempLa0OBz1UoRTmNk-_YtKirXPpBuMpmUJYbh7LDVcgOK1GAOIYIheKk97mEEKbnXbGh4t5lfCh-bGUqSzoh851rS6jaAldO-rws_xmCoKZZxu_kTlfyLplpE0QD0s4RlHRFJctQ

I think the very best Marvel movie, Infinity War, is mediocre AT BEST.  Even End Game, was bad.  I was bored through all of the MCU movies, and I have seen almost all of the multiple times.  I should be the one that is mad for Avengers being the number 1 movie of all time....because I was there man...I was there. 

But here we are...here we fucking are with this universally agreed upon dog shit DC universe by both nerds and the general population alike and the Marvel Universe which is beloved by everyone...

But here I am...I LOVE THIS FUCKING MOVIE---both the cuts (ZS is better)!  This is superior to Marvel in EVERY WAY.  Marvel is, on average, shit.  On average, it is on par with George Clooney's Batman and Robin.

So what is wrong with me?  Where, in my OG nerdom, did I go wrong??

I say a person likes what they like.  Personal preference. Nothing wrong with that.  No one thinks you are being contrarian. No need to explain yourself, either.  My geek things are 1960s to 1990s sci fi, fantasy, and sword/sorcery (I played AD&D too, back in the day), which is too geek for a lot of modern nerds.  Honestly, when it comes to a lot of stuff, I am stuck in the 1980s and feel modern sci fi and fantasy is missing the "magic" of the 1980s era sci fi and fantasy. So I think I understand how you feel being in the minority in liking JL. 

I have yet to see the Snyder Cut, so I can't comment on that, but the Josstice cut I have seen most of it, in multiple sittings. I have not yet seen it all the way through, though.  I have seen BVS, and by far, the directors cut is much better than the theatrical, but here is my problem.  I feel like Zach Snyder has a bit of a JJ Abrams syndrome going on.  He is great at making a beautiful looking film, but he seems kinda all over the place with his story telling....for me. 

As for your  your assessment of the MCU, I have seen most of it.  Most IS formulaic.  I like the MCU, but I am not IN LOVE with it, either.  I find most of the MCU hard to re-watch, and I think phases 1 and 2 are the stronger films.  When it comes to the individual superhero films, I find the first movies to be the strongest entries (EG Iron Man 1, Antman 1, Thor 1) compared to their sequels.  The other issue I have is after Endgame, I just don't care about the stuff that has come after. 

13 hours ago, Tank said:

So the Whedon version is considered WORSE than this 4:3 shitpile? It must have recalled AOTC.

This is beyond awful.

WTF?  What did Snyder do, just upscale an assembly cut, then?  What would possess someone to go with 4:3?  I mean it worked for Lighthouse, but what was Snyder thinking?  Most people will watch this on thier LCD TVs, not their iPads!

7 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Met, Chubra, Tank, Krawlie, PLEASE diagnose me.  I legit want to be cured.

What is wrong with me?

No really...what is wrong with me?

I am not trying to be ironic on contrarian.  This isn't some cultist thing, like The Big Lebowski, where certain people with a certain specific sense of humor just "get it". 

I am a nerd.  I went to conventions before it was cool to go to conventions.  I played DnD as a kid in the 80s before it was romanticized to be a nerdy kid in the 80s playing DnD.  I was a member of both the computer club and AV club.  I used to skip school to go to the fucking library.  Does this look like the kid that was spitting mad game at the ladies????

TCKempLa0OBz1UoRTmNk-_YtKirXPpBuMpmUJYbh7LDVcgOK1GAOIYIheKk97mEEKbnXbGh4t5lfCh-bGUqSzoh851rS6jaAldO-rws_xmCoKZZxu_kTlfyLplpE0QD0s4RlHRFJctQ

I think the very best Marvel movie, Infinity War, is mediocre AT BEST.  Even End Game, was bad.  I was bored through all of the MCU movies, and I have seen almost all of the multiple times.  I should be the one that is mad for Avengers being the number 1 movie of all time....because I was there man...I was there. 

But here we are...here we fucking are with this universally agreed upon dog shit DC universe by both nerds and the general population alike and the Marvel Universe which is beloved by everyone...

But here I am...I LOVE THIS FUCKING MOVIE---both the cuts (ZS is better)!  This is superior to Marvel in EVERY WAY.  Marvel is, on average, shit.  On average, it is on par with George Clooney's Batman and Robin.

So what is wrong with me?  Where, in my OG nerdom, did I go wrong??

You admittedly love crap beer and food, so it all fits. But seriously, you do just have different tastes. And that’s fine. Obviously a lot of people love these DC movies. It’s not like you’re alone - they’re huge blockbusters. I have friends who hate superhero movies entirely, so if I just listened to them I would think I have crappy taste. 

Each franchise has it’s killer issues.

Such as...

I think the solution to Marvel’s Endgame is dumb because it creates more problems than it fixes. Such as, resnap return everyone is where they were according to WandaVision. So people just appeared on top of other people if someone was sitting, laying whatever wherever that person had been pre-snap. Also like... what about air travelers? Just returned in the air? With plane? Without a plane? Also food, housing, infrastructure after half pop for five years and then boom back? That’s all complete and utter chaos. The classic time travel fix was the only logical solution with the price being Tony’s life to accomplish it.

Then, of course, with DC the problem is these Snyder films exist.

That said, I find Spock’s Brain entertaining so salt grain and all that. Like what you like, don’t what you don’t. Rant about what you want, if you so want. Life is too short to worry about why you like something but other people don’t.

3 hours ago, Metropolis said:

The crop is because i believe he shot it in 1.43 for IMAX. That's pretty close to the old standard for television.

The IMAX thing doesn’t make any sense though. There are plenty of blockbuster movies that have scenes shot with IMAX cameras and none of them are 4:3 - and this definitely wasn’t shot using IMAX cameras. Maybe they crop it for home release - but that makes this even more ridiculous.

It’s only a recent choice he has made. Which is baffling when this is a streaming movie. I mean it doesn’t even have any IMAX screenings now or coming either, so what’s the point. 

10 hours ago, Metropolis said:

Personal preference. Nothing wrong with that. 

I liked the Snyder Cut. Part of that is because it did a lot of things that I want to see. Sadly i don't ever think we'll see most of them. It is a movie because of its length I'm not sure I'll watch again outside of a 4K blu ray release with commentary. 

While i like the MCU a lot, a lot of the movies don't resonate with me on repeat viewings. Black Panther, both Ant-Man movies to name a few. 

The DCEU should have never tried to play catch-up. Jumping straight to the Justice League when you only had one movie to set up the characters in it was a mistake. 

I think Met nailed it here. I’ve been a Marvel mark since I was 9 years old. Sure, I was a big Batman fan, but beyond that, DC just never resonated with me the way Marvel did.

Even as a kid I felt like Marvel books were about normal people with powers, which was far more fantasy full-filling than DCs gods among men approach.

Add in the multi-verse stuff that ends up being required knowledge, and I was just out.

I had hoped to at least appreciate the DC films, but if I am being honest, outside of 80s Batman comics, and Batman TAS,  the peak of DC for me was the Superfriends. And I don’t think I ever wanted a gritty, r-rated, Superfriends movie with a gun toting murdery Batman and a Superman you have to keep tied up until the final battle because you only know how to derive drama from action, and he’s an action non-starter. But that’s Snyder.

I am also a pretty big Snyder hater. I think he’s from the same school as Abrams, Bay, and Ratner where it’s all style over substance. In fact, I’d say my biggest complaint about this thing is that it’s about Snyder, and not the Justice League.

But if, as a DC fan this movie is a gift for anyone, they can totally have that.

The biggest problem, is that much like Star Wars, when it comes to the DC films the worst fan voices happen to be the loudest.

19 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I find it nearly impossible to believe Snyder could make a movie I'd enjoy. 

I’ve seen enough from him that I’ll never willingly watch one of his movies. 

But for those who enjoy them, go for it!

Ugh, my husband is a big Snyder fan, but I don't think he actually realizes it. He also enjoys the DC movies more than I have. I still think Wonder Woman was the best part of BvS, and I did enjoy most of the first WW movie. Still haven't seen the 2nd tho. I can't bring myself to watch Aquaman even though the idea of a dripping wet Jason Momoa seems like something I wouldn't be able to pass on. 

He did also finally rope me into watching Suicide Squad last week. That was...special. Actually Birds of Prey looked better. Has anyone seen that yet? I think I'd rather watch Birds of Prey. 

All that to say, I'm sure I'm going to have to watch this soon. And you guys aren't making me look forward to it in the least. Is there sufficient dripping wet Momoa? I'm cool with a little objectification from time to time. 

WW fell under too high of expectations for me. When you keep hearing how great something is, it’s hard to live up to the hype. It was good, but it definitely wasn’t the best superhero movie, which I heard from too many people.

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Aquaman was worth a watch. Great compared to the rest, but Shazam is by far the shining star of the DCEU.

Shazam is probably the most MCU of the DCEU. First off it's fairly short and sweet. Secondly it manages to to give a cliff notes explanation of the character without taking up the first half of the movie. Third the movie doesn't take itself too seriously. 

I'm kind of baffled at what people (the ones who like this) are actually feeling when they watch it. Like, what emotions is this film invoking in you? It's a McGuffin hunt. The stakes are obtuse. There's one actually-sort-of-sympathetic character in the Flash. Everyone else just sleepwalks through the movie as they stack and check boxes on their way to fisticuffs with the final boss. It's thematically hamfisted: all our characters have parental issues and now they must rise above them and work as a team... yay. Except there isn't any kind of clever emotional payoff to this "theme", or really any addressing of it AT ALL in the final act.
It's not a soul-sucking void the way that Rise of Skywalker is, but holy hell is it dry, dour, visually flat and self-important. It's certainly a "vision", I'll give Snyder that, but then again, Neil Breen and Ed Wood also have/had an artistic "vision". 

The only thing I was really impressed with was the fact that Zach Snyder had the balls to try to make his own Lord of the Rings. It's like that, except without the Hobbits... or a Gandalf... or a Gimli... or the immaculate, emotional, atmospheric, slow-burn buildup to set-pieces that are earned from tightly scripted, beautiful character moments that create audience investment in a plot that's arguably less "complicated" than Justice League. 

This whole experiment just feels like we've reached a point culturally where basic tonal and visual consistency (something simply NOT being a studio-bastardized, Frankenstein's monster that actively assaults the audience) is now cause for celebration.

4 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Why the Snyder hate?  

300?  Watchmen?  Dawn of the Dead?

I get they are not for everyone and I get that Snyder prioritized style over substance...but he isn't the first director with these priorities.  

They’re all terrible? Like, if someone said that I had to watch one of his movies or I could never watch another movie, I would give up movies forever.

I legit love Dawn of the Dead.

300 was cool at the time it came out, but it's style has been aped so much, it's tired now.

Watchmen is decent if you're familiar with the source material.

Sucker Punch looks cool, but is a soulless green screen movie and it shows. Man of Steel is... okay? BvsS is stupid. 

He's a truly average director with more misses than hits, and yet he found his way into being the top guy for DC's movie universe and that rubs people the wrong way-- especially given how he thinks that universe should be tonally.

Never in my life would I think I needed to see a Superman movie with f-bombs. His Batman is a straight up killer. He shows a deeply flawed understanding of DC characters, so for some people, no matter what he does, it's not going to spark joy.

It doesn't help that the voices who demanded the Snyder Cut are mostly from the same ilk of toxic fandom that made so much noise about The Last Jedi.

I never saw an toxic fandom in regards to the Snyder cut.  Just people knocking the whedon cut, which is universal, and calling on Snyders version. I don't know if it's fair to compare that to toxic SW fandom, who are the absolute worst of the worst and a stain on the brand they pretend to love. 

6 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Interesting.   Similar people yet the argument for Last Jedi versus JL  seem to be at odds with one another.  Do any of these douche bags realize how hypocritical that is?

No. Nor do they care.

I do not hate Zack Snyder. I envy him! He seems so happy! He's just a big ol' golden retriever of a guy; his brain got imprinted on a viewing of John Boorman's Excalibur (1981) and a handful of Métal Hurlant comics at an early age and he's just going to keep pumping out his stuff until he dies or everyone else dies first.

I don't think he experiences doubt, I think he has silenced that part of his brain permanently, and so what we see when we see his films are the work of a true artiste. Brett compared him to Neil Breen and Ed Wood, that's fair. They could (or will? Breen is still alive, still working) produce works of equal beauty and flair if they were given the budgets he has and the array of collaborators at his disposal.

My ZS ranking :

rWUNlv4.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.