Snyder cut is happening

Zathras

I think toxic fandom is a bigger issue than Zathras is saying here. For alot of reasons.

The other day being the 15th anniversary of Sith I went into the archives to see my initial posts and reaction, yes quarantine is that boring. I tooled around in there for a bit and the anger and hatred, it was insane. I forgot how bad it was. Its nothing like say what happened here with some of the ST movies that people disagreed on. There were fans here who if you liked those movies, they would be mad at you for liking them. It was the weirdest thing. And without a doubt that kind of behavior would push people away from being fans themselves. Or take people who did like the movies overall and make them dislike them because the hatred just poured into their brains or they just didn't want to deal with the anger so theyd sort of flip sides.

Now that doesn;t really happen on this board so much any more but it does happen online. I found a site the other day which posits that Disney created Rose with the plan of then creating the sexist response to her themselves which they then would blame on older fans because they don't even want the older fans ot be fans. I guess their money isn't green.

You could 100% see some 17 year old kid who was 12 when TFA came out and has become a fan of the Disney movies, then gone back and watched the older movies. A kid whose parents maybe werent fans so he wasnt introduced at a young age. A kid like that who wants to go deeper into it, become more of a fan. So they come online and try to find discussion of it. You can see that kid being like "forget this these people are crazy". Thats a huge problem.

I know we weren't supposed to talk Star Wars but really that is the thing Im the biggest fan of so thus have the most familiarity with. Im sure this kind of stuff happens in other fandoms too.

Whats amazing is that for so many of these huge fans the very reason this stuff matters so much is because when younger they possibly had issues making friends and feeling included and Star Wars or comics or Tolkien or whatever gave them that sense of belonging. It makes it even sadder that so many people then act like the people who bullied them when they were young. These things should be inclusive and fun. Thats not to say you can't dislike parts of it and stll be a fan and come here or elsewhere and complain about it. Hell I've done that with TROS. However I'd never want to chase away someone who does love that movie (if I could find one) and wants to become a bigger fan due to it.

Relax yourselves, I was being intentionally dramatic because Im sick of Star Wars.

I wasnt. The fourth post in this thread was about Star Wars. We have an entire forum thats about how Tank hates the PT and Choc loves it all and if you dont live it all maybe youre just not a fan, except for that one movie.

I think we can keep it in the unlimited number of threads in that forum.

LOL

Okay, but seriously... I feel like the only people who really like the Snyder DC movies are the kind of dudes who put Punisher and Monster energy drink stickers on their trucks.

#generalizationsarefun

I watched all of Man of Steel, some of Batman v Superman, and my friend who loves bad movies said Justice League was so bad he walked out. But, really, Ive honestly never understood Snyders popularity at all. Obviously he has enough fans of his work that he keeps getting to do big movies, but Im just not there.

I watched all of Man of Steel, some of Batman v Superman, and my friend who loves bad movies said Justice League was so bad he walked out. But, really, Ive honestly never understood Snyders popularity at all. Obviously he has enough fans of his work that he keeps getting to do big movies, but Im just not there.

I will say I actually still love his Dawn of the Dead remake. Way better than it deserved to be.

And I know it makes me a bad comic nerd, but I kinda like Watchmen, even though I think if you'd never read the comic it would be a mess... and maybe even if you did.

But yeah, he has had multiple epic swings and misses, but still gets to take more shots. Most people would end up in director jail.

You know what REALLY makes me laugh... when George Miller was going to make a Justice League film and nerd-dom, myself included, lost their minds over how terrible that would be. There were leaked storyboards and script snippets and it just looked too light for us in a post Dark Knight Returns world. THE HAPPY FEET GUY!? WTF NO!

So what does Miller do? Goes and makes Fury Road. I would totally want to see his JL movie now.

And I know it makes me a bad comic nerd, but I kinda like Watchmen, even though I think if you'd never read the comic it would be a mess... and maybe even if you did.

This was actually one of the topics that came up in last month's Zoom chat!

Short summary of my rambling there: it wasn't fantastic, but there're parts where it arguably achieves some deconstruction of the superhero films that preceded it, and its best feature is that its existence allowed Hollywood once and for all to get a Watchmen adaptation out of its system and move on after all those wasted decades.

This was actually one of the topics that came up in last month's Zoom chat!

Short summary of my rambling there: it wasn't fantastic, but there're parts where it arguably achieves some deconstruction of the superhero films that preceded it, and its best feature is that its existence allowed Hollywood once and for all to get a Watchmen adaptation out of its system and move on after all those wasted decades.

Did you ever see the HBO mini-series? I think at our zoom meet last time you said you had not, but wanted to. If this is still accurate, I will give you my HBO information and you will spend all day watching this to prepare.

The reality is the only reason this is happening is because WB needs a hook to get people to buy their streaming service. Disney had it easy not only with all the IP's they own, but they had The Mandalorian to garner all the headlines. The Snyder Cut was the best WB could do.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I want to see it just for the sake of seeing how it was supposed to have been all along. I don't like when franchises change directions right in the middle of their storytelling. And for some reason DC is notorious for this. Richard Donner's Superman superhero epic was changed to Dick Lester's slapstick Monthy Python humor.

One can argue that audiences were not liking the tone or direction of the films and so the changes were necessary. But does that really work? If you change it halfway or even two-thirds of the way through, all you really do is upset everyone. The people who were not liking it originally are not going to go back and start enjoying it all because you made the last film different than the others. And those who did like the films as they were will now be upset because you changed everything up at the last minute. Both the DCEU and the Star Wars ST are perfect examples of this.

The Mandalorian streamed from day one. The Snyder Cut which won't be released until sometime next year was supposed to draw people in? Those new Friends episodes that never got finished was probably a bigger draw. Disney had the draw of it's entire (mostly) animated library.

We subscribe to HBO with cable, so Max is free for us.

The Mandalorian streamed from day one. The Snyder Cut which won't be released until sometime next year was supposed to draw people in? Those new Friends episodes that never got finished was probably a bigger draw. Disney had the draw of it's entire (mostly) animated library.

We subscribe to HBO with cable, so Max is free for us.

You are making my point here. Obviously its going on HBO Max and obviously they hope that its part of their content that people find appealing. But its really not a big enough deal to be some kind of hook for this service.

Except for white people. They already got Friends to cover that.

*white women

Wait HBO Max is free if you have HBO? Did I read that right?

Well from what I can tell its the same price as HBO normally is. So if Max has all of HBO (which the advertising says) and more it wouldn't make much sense for anyone to have HBO rather than HBO Max.

With all the individual platforms it's absolutely about trying to nab viewers. And Fan service is terrifying new way to go about it. It's like market testing on steroids.

That's how you get things like (sorry, but it's a relevant example) TROS feeling like it's story beats were a checklist from Reddit.

Wait HBO Max is free if you have HBO? Did I read that right?

Yeah. There is an option to sign in through your cable provider. Same as the HBO GO and Now apps.

From what Ive read, it depends on your provider. Its not free for all HBO subscribers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.