Thank you Cerina...Nightly Archives!

Darth Ender

Thank you Cerina for bringing back the archives!!!

The weird thing is, they are only visible when I am NOT logged in. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Are these physically backed up?

I know there is a lot of cringe in there. But these I think document a unique time in history before we were all driven to social media. When things were really a community...for better or worse.

The forum I use the most in the UK recently had to close for technical / security reasons (vulnerabilities in the older version of the software we were using) and we started a new one, but all of the members with more than 100 posts were sent emails and asked if they wanted their posts deleted before a read-only archive of the forum was made (which was planned, but never happened)

Although I'm never happy about forums being deleted (I like long form social media and want to preserve the small amount of 2000s internet that is left), I can't insist of having a copy of anyone's stuff if they don't want to me have it

Is there any chance of a compromise where I'm given a few days notice to retrieve my posts before the archives get deleted?

Honestly, while they're kind of fun in a horrifying way, they could be used against people to harass or blackmail them. We had well-known, established members do it to people back in the day to threaten jobs, lifestyle, and even grades in a class. I think most of us have grown a lot in the last 20 years and maybe some of the stuff that was funny then isn't as funny now. Even letting logged in members have access is probably not a good idea. Some of us are jerks.

There's a reason our brains don't remember the past accurately and typically change things to the best possible version of things. I personally don't see any value in looking back at my past from a historically accurate way, and fully understand why people are completely against it. Especially people who posted in Lando. That stuff could legit ruin someone's life.

I don't venture outside the Star Wars forum much, although I've been coming to the cantina a lot more these day (which I see has a different name now). That's probably fortunate for me as I would not have had too many embarrassing posts. Back in the day, my main forum "home" was this Final Fantasy board I belonged to, where all my embarrassing posts existed, and I came to Nightly only for Star Wars talk. Fortunately, the former went offline some years ago.

I dont think wed be willing to just straight up delete them, but password protection might be a good option.

I mean, they're kind of nice to look at. To my surprise, at least one of my own threads is archived. Is there a way that only the heated or embarrassing ones could be inaccessible to the general public? I know that would probably be a long and tedious process, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.