Massive roster cuts

Darth Krawlie

I have a junk theory - with no real backing behind it - but, is it possible that all these releases, and subsequent re-emerging in AEW is the beginning of a long-con by Vince? 

Is it possible he's bought - or is going to buy - AEW? And we get the real invasion at some point down the track?

Or am I just clutching at straws and thinking AEW is bigger than it actually is?

AEW's roster is certainly big--bloated as hell. It seems Tony Khan is trying really hard to be the Good Boss and hire everyone, even without enough time to use everyone. I can't imagine the Khans would be interested in selling to Vince, though.

A theory I heard, which I don't agree with either but I think is far more likely, is Vince is dumping talent to shed costs as he prepares to SELL, rather than buy. Again, I don't buy it. But it's the sort of things companies do.

Huh - seems odd he'd want to cash out - considering how wealthy he already is. And given the family nature of the business. I have a harder time buying into him selling WWE vs. buying AEW.

Welp - that's probably it from me in here. See you in another decade. Be well.

Granted, it's hard to know what's going on behind the scenes, but Bronson Reed's release is a real head scratcher.
Him dropping the belt so quickly kinda raised a red flag, but I think most people just assumed he was going to the main roster, not getting fired.

I hate trying to rationalize certain cuts because these are people who are suddenly without a job. He we go anyways. While I'm shocked they released Bronson Reed, it's not a total surprise. I like Reed, but could never picture him in the main roster. He's short for his "monster" gimmick. He's kinda like a Polynesian Otis. Where would he have fit in? It Keith Lee is struggling Reed had NO chance. 

I guess that just doesn't bode well for chunky wrestlers in general then. Dunno. I think Keith has had a string of personal issues and injuries. I'm not sure how much him being slow and beefy really factors in.
I'm not sure what they would have done with Bronson either, but there are plenty of other wrestlers who I don't "get" that end up getting promoted.

• 2 months later...

Back at the beginning of the summer Jim Cornette responded to a question on his podcast. He said that a big reason for the choppiness of WWE's storytelling was that they had too many wrestlers. Last month he says if WWE wasn't going to use a wrestler then let them go. 

I don't even think WWE cares about AEW signing these guys anymore. Dynamite's ratings have regressed back to pre Punk-Bryan levels. The same people are watching wrestling. The sport isn't growing.

18 hours ago, Metropolis said:

Back at the beginning of the summer Jim Cornette responded to a question on his podcast. He said that a big reason for the choppiness of WWE's storytelling was that they had too many wrestlers. Last month he says if WWE wasn't going to use a wrestler then let them go. 

I don't even think WWE cares about AEW signing these guys anymore. Dynamite's ratings have regressed back to pre Punk-Bryan levels. The same people are watching wrestling. The sport isn't growing.

I think Cornette has a point. Every week it’s, where is so-and-so and why wasn’t this or that person on the pay-per-view? There are only so many feuds and matches you can have on any given week and especially on a pay-per-view. Having talent stay home because they have nothing for them works against not just the talent, but against creative. 

• 2 weeks later...

FUCKING MORE NAMES

John Morrison
Top Dolla
Ashante Adonis
Isaiah Swerve Scott
Tegan Nox
Drake Maverick
Shane Thorne
Jaxon Ryker

Only the last two names are understandable. But fuck this fucking company. I swear to god I wish Triple H would bail out and form his own company, since it's clear Vince and Nick Khan are shitting all over everything he did in NXT.

I think when the next round of releases come out, I'll finally be at the point of rejoicing. Letting those workers go free. Cuz you know it's gonna be guys like Samoa Joe, Tommaso Ciampa, Finn Balor, etc. It's coming. It's gonna happen. And that's not counting guys whose contracts are about the expire. Who the fuck would re-sign at this point?

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.