Actually [1] the best:

the Tartakovsky ones
the Jar Jar episodes
"Clone Cadets"
the one where Ahsoka learns a lesson from the old Jedi guy
the one w/Tarkin and the Jedi prison and the neat-o droids
the General Krell arc
the ones w/the Wookiee padawan, the Wookieewan

[1] Caveats : all art is intersubjective, all informed opinion equally valid, we're all entitled to our own thoughts, life is a rich tapestry, go w/God, etcetera etcetera.

Fully agreed about the Tartakovsky series. As for Filoni's series, I'm really not sure because I've only watched the entire series once so far, so my memory is a little hazy. I will say, however, that I was not as much of a fan of it as most people are. What really stood out were the clone episodes, which I thought were the best. Other than that, it seemed very hit-and-miss, with mostly misses. I haven't seen the current season but I do intend to binge-watch it once it wraps up.

For the Clone Wars era, only one of the novels really stood out, that being Matthew Stover's Shatterpoint. The rest were meh. Where this era really shines, and what immediately comes to mind when I think of the era, was the comic series from Dark Horse Comics. That's probably why I didn't think the Filoni series was anything to write home about, to be honest, having experienced such great stories previously. The video game Republic Commando was also great, but the other video games from that era were so-so.

• 4 months later...

Absolutely loved watching this earlier in the year when Disney+ arrived in the UK in late March. I had seen bits and pieces over the years, but I went through the whole lot from the start and loved it - especially that Mortis Arc and the final 4 episodes, but seriously loads more to enjoy there. Even the less action orientated ones were interesting as they usually were aspects of Palps gaining more and more control over all aspects (banks etc).

Very enjoyable and took away the nasty taste in the mouth that was left by TROS.

• 7 months later...

I started watching this series recently after holding out for some reason. I don't really know why cause I like Rebels. Im about halfway through season 3. In fact just finished the Mortis episodes. Its funny though cause I had heard so often how great this was and really they may be my 3 least favorite episodes so far. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I didn't like some of the stuff Filoni did in Rebels with The Force, like the Bendu. And even in Mando I didn't like the whole like mountain that can broadcast the Force or whatever it was, although overall that episode was great. Really though overall big thumbs up from me on the series overall. 

Mortis stuff seems to be very love it or hate it. Personally I’m not really a big fan of it at all and thought it was too silly even for Star Wars, but it gets more attention than it deserves from both sides. I don’t get the intensity around what were pretty average episodes in a cartoon. 

I was glad they didn’t end up going there in Episode 9 though, but then considering what we got maybe it wouldn’t of been that bad. 

Yeah I mean Im not going to yell and scream about it. Just sometimes I do watch and not paying 100% attention cause its a cartoon. When I realized they were on Mortis I was kinda in that mode but thought "hey this is what so many people love" so I didn't watch right then and waited for a time when I could actually watch it all. Then I watched it and was disappointed. Thats ok though, like I said I like the show overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something I don't get. Maybe Im looking too into it or thinking on it too much but, how is Mandalore neutral? I mean doesn't that essentially just mean they are leaving the Republic but not fighting a war about it? If systems are just allowed to declare neutrality and not help the Republic than why the hell is the Republic fighting this huge war to keep the Seperatists from leaving? It seems like systems are just allowed to leave if they want. Mandalore seemingly has. 

6 hours ago, The Choc said:

Here is something I don't get. Maybe Im looking too into it or thinking on it too much but, how is Mandalore neutral? I mean doesn't that essentially just mean they are leaving the Republic but not fighting a war about it? If systems are just allowed to declare neutrality and not help the Republic than why the hell is the Republic fighting this huge war to keep the Seperatists from leaving? It seems like systems are just allowed to leave if they want. Mandalore seemingly has. 

I agree it is confusing and nonsensical, and I did not like how Mandalore was portrayed in TCW, but I think it is explained something like this.  Mandalore was once a war-like civilization in the distant past (relative to TCW), that conquered other planets, but eventually its empire fell and it brought ruin and almost complete collapse to their civilization.  Sort of like what happened to Germany or Japan.  In order to survive, Mandalore became a pacifist civilization, and when the Clone Wars started, Mandalore adhered to the pacifism philosophy and remained neutral. 

51 minutes ago, Tank said:

I just assumed they were in a part of space that wasn’t part of the republic 

That’s what makes sense. We didn’t fight a war to keep Greenland part of the US because Greenland wasn’t part of the US.

I'm not sure this explanation really holds up. Mandalore is not the only neutral system, there are like a couple thousand. We see several of these systems represented by Senators in the Republic Senate. That Rodian Senator who was friends with Padme. That one Senator who ended up turning bad and trying help Death Watch. There were a few more. So basically if a planet has a Senator in the Republic Senate then obviously it is a part of the Republic. However these systems are essentially allowed to stay neutral which is really no different than leaving the Republic in a time of need. 

13 hours ago, Zathras said:

I agree it is confusing and nonsensical, and I did not like how Mandalore was portrayed in TCW, but I think it is explained something like this.  Mandalore was once a war-like civilization in the distant past (relative to TCW), that conquered other planets, but eventually its empire fell and it brought ruin and almost complete collapse to their civilization.  Sort of like what happened to Germany or Japan.  In order to survive, Mandalore became a pacifist civilization, and when the Clone Wars started, Mandalore adhered to the pacifism philosophy and remained neutral. 

This is was my understanding of it as well, plus they hated Jedi and they were the guardians of the Republic, so they’ve always had some sort of animosity towards the Republic. 

I get that about Mandalore having been warlike and now being pacificist and all that. In fact I like that aspect of the story and really how it all plays and if it is even possible to truly be pacifist when war is all around you.

Im just saying it doesn't quite all fit together. Which is really fine, its cartoon. And I really enjoy it more than I thought. I've gone through it much faster than I thought I would. 

Maybe it’s more about numbers and making sure those who were Republic don’t become Separatist, and if a former Republic planet does become neutral, try to get the numbers from a planet that that was neutral.

Ultimately you’re right though, it doesn’t really piece together. But hey, Star Wars. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:49 PM, The Choc said:

I'm not sure this explanation really holds up. Mandalore is not the only neutral system, there are like a couple thousand. We see several of these systems represented by Senators in the Republic Senate. That Rodian Senator who was friends with Padme. That one Senator who ended up turning bad and trying help Death Watch. There were a few more. So basically if a planet has a Senator in the Republic Senate then obviously it is a part of the Republic. However these systems are essentially allowed to stay neutral which is really no different than leaving the Republic in a time of need. 

In ROTS when Obi Wan tells the guy in charge of Utapau the war had brought him there, the guy responds, “There’s no war here. Unless you brought it with you.” 

I suspect this was the feeling of many systems. They wanted to be a part of the Republic, but that didn’t mean they necessarily wanted to participate in a war over it. 

At the start of the American Civil War, Kentucky declared its neutrality. They did not join the Confederacy but were not going to participate in the North’s war to save the Union either.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.