Best action movies.

Metropolis

A lot more television watching going on. Watching True Lies right now. One of Arnold's best. Bill Paxton's small role was pure gold. Great action, funny, typically bad continuity that didn't matter because the movie is so good. Maybe James Cameron should go back to basics like this one.

How could I forget Jamie Lee Curtis? :D

• Terminator 2

Also agree with True Lies, hard to go wrong when Cameron does action

• Mission Impossible series

Still struggle to care for the characters but each movie has gotten better and better

• The 90's Cage action trilogy Con Air / Face/Off / The Rock

The Rock in particular has just some of the most quotable Connery lines of all time

• Mad Max: Fury Road

Quite possibly the best of the bunch.

• The Bourne series

Car chase in Supremacy through Russia is one of the best car chases I've seen

• Die Hard

Duh

• Indiana Jones

Classify it more as adventure, but the first three still have some of the best action scenes - Desert chase, tank in Last Crusade, the Bridge in Temple)

Probably forgetting a bunch.

In no particular order, here are some of my go-to's that haven't already been mentioned and excluding superhero movies:

1. Any Sean Connery James Bond

2. The Rock (just imagine it as James Bond)

3. Tombstone

4. RoboCop (original)

5. The Fugitive

6. Mad Max 1 and The Road Warrior (you HAVE to see them together)

7. Aliens

8. Young Guns/Young Guns II

9. Enter the Dragon

10. Predator

There were tons of swashbuckling movies ahead of Hitch, a lot of westerns and serials too that were all action.

I will co-sign on True Lies and the last few MI movies too.

I can't help but love a lot of over the top 90s/early 2000s action films like Matrix, Speed, and Crank.

Contemporary:

yer John Wicks (2014, 2017, 2019)

The two sequels to Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), but not that movie in and of itself, are the absolute pinnacle of the modern movie business' particular melange of blockbuster action & nerd-franchise worship. Those'd be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017). In fact, that latter one is kind of a proper filuhm, it's, I don't know, it's the Wrath of Khan (1982) of the monkey movies.

Stone cold classics:

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1973)

[Edit : I thought I'd be able to list, like, a dozen unnamed movies for each of these two categories without hesitation but my mind is blanking. Do I not actually like action movies? Am I just frazzled because I checked the updated Ontario covid-19 list and yesterday we had 150 new cases and by today we have 209 new cases and it doesn't take, like, a prophetic genius to see that's a bad sign? I don't know.]

Bad Boys 2. Ridiculously over the top, but Will Smith and Martin Lawrence give it enough humor, humanity, and charm to make it great.

In no particular order, here are some of my go-to's that haven't already been mentioned and excluding superhero movies:

1. Any Sean Connery James Bond

2. The Rock (just imagine it as James Bond)

3. Tombstone

4. RoboCop (original)

5. The Fugitive

6. Mad Max 1 and The Road Warrior (you HAVE to see them together)

7. Aliens

8. Young Guns/Young Guns II

9. Enter the Dragon

10. Predator

Young Guns 1 was great. Young Guns 2 took it to the next level. I watched that movie so much as a kid the tape broke (the only other movie to do that was TMNT---which I still believe is the best superhero movie ever made).

Young Guns 2 is ****ing epic. Alan Silvestri's Brushy Bill is my post listened to song on Spotify, Blaze of Glory is Bon Jovi's best song. Historically, it actually isn't terribly inaccurate----Billy the Kid wasn't near as bad as people make him out to be...but whatever. When Christian Slater stabs Lou Diamond Phillips in the arm and the Phillips asks him, "do you want your knife back" when the knife is stuck through Phillip's arm...oh man that's bad ass. That old man bounty hunter is so cool..."let's dance" or when Jane gets naked as the brothel burns and she rides off on horseback.

Oh shit those movies are the best.

I always struggled with the second one as a kid with the recasting of Pat Garrett and the fact that no one from the original gang survived to write "pals" on Billy's Grave.

Yeah the recast was a bit jarring for me, too. But since I rewatched it so many times over the years, I just came to accept it, and it doesn't bother me at all, anymore.

I actually prefer the actor from Young Guns II over the one who played Garrett in the original. Makes you wonder what the continuity would have been like had they known how popular the original would turn out to be. No one at the time figured they would be making a sequel. Kind of like trying to make a Tombstone II. I grew up in the Southwest and we had read and heard so much history about these people that watching these films was almost like a rite of passage to my friends and I.

As for other action films, almost all my picks have already been mentioned. T2 and The Fugitive have been listed but I would throw in The Terminator and US Marshalls on there as well. Adding The Mask of Zorro too.

I actually prefer the actor from Young Guns II over the one who played Garrett in the original. Makes you wonder what the continuity would have been like had they known how popular the original would turn out to be. No one at the time figured they would be making a sequel. Kind of like trying to make a Tombstone II. I grew up in the Southwest and we had read and heard so much history about these people that watching these films was almost like a rite of passage to my friends and I.

As for other action films, almost all my picks have already been mentioned. T2 and The Fugitive have been listed but I would throw in The Terminator and US Marshalls on there as well. Adding The Mask of Zorro too.

US Marshalls is a pretty decent sequel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.