What do you miss?

Are you holed up at home, either by government order or voluntarily? If so, what do you miss? I miss the freedom to just go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I'm considered high risk, so I have to avoid as much contact as possible, and my trip to Lowe's the other day was the end for me, unless I do curb-side pickup. No more going inside stores. Fortunately my wife is safer, so she can do some stuff, but even that has to be cut dramatically. Fortunately all of our friends are being smart and are locked down as well.

I also missing going to Church. First they made Mass optional, and strongly suggested that people like me not go. Then they declared no public Masses. but our priests can still celebrate and live stream it, and then they closed down the churches entirely to the public. You can't even go inside to pray. Fortunately the priests are still allowed, so we're going to watch the Mass at home today via YouTube, but it's not the same.

Also, I miss board games. Can't get together with people, so you can't easily play anything and my wife isn't too into it.

Not going to Church today was hard. They've been some of my biggest supporters as I go through stuff with my Mom. Mostly because they're older and know what should be done for people who are about to die and have given me great advice concerning my Mom from the retired nurses to realtors. I feel like I am too young to learn what to do with your first parent death. Singing and helping with communion was something I did regularly. Our Church is working on keeping our Little Free Pantry stocked but we are super poor and barely meet salary for our pastor. This is going to kill our Church.

Also I would like to go to the gatdamned store and buy eggs without having to call and ask if the truck is in and then when they say the dairy truck arrived I get there and they've sold the hell out.

At my second job we're business as usual except now we sit every other cubicle apart and there is a sign in the cafeteria that says stay three feet away. But people still touch me as they walk up and down our aisle. I would like to see some social distancing at that ****ing job. Jesus christ don't touch me. Our cubicles are not the standard cubicle ones you see in like office places but long lines of desks with full sized carols that surround the three feet of desk I get and the aisles are like an airplanes aisle. If you push back on your desk you will bounce off the person sitting behind you. We can't do work from home because of the nature of work I do. We handle customers routing and account numbers and social security and birthdates. There is no way they can guarantee that that won't be stolen at home.

I miss my kid. Between me being high risk and safer alone, and the fact that if people lose their minds and I live the second most populated city in the union which is known for rioting, I'd prefer he was in the suburbs, the former Mrs Tank and I agreed he was better off with her.

Not enough of my life has changed tbh. I mean, I guess I miss being able to order whatever I want/need on Amazon. They failed me for the first time ever this week when I tried to order a cheapish webcam. But seriously, I get to avoid people! I can do most of my jobs remotely, and it takes just about as much time as it did before (but with no human contact!). We don't have to get up early to send Luke to school on the bus. I don't have to wear a bra or pants. We've had one trip to the grocery store and were able to get nearly everything we needed/wanted. My constantly-in-our-business grandparents have quarantined themselves in their country home 3.5 hours away. I'm happy.

Okay, you win.

How is all of this stuff affecting your career?

We're completely shut down.

Technically reps are still working, I have stuff being read, and I'm still casting my movie via skype and email. But, Everything is a huge question mark. No one is going to be buying new content because they can't project a return since we don't know how long we're down for.

Even projects with secured funding, like mine, are held hostage because my cast and crew are dependent on schedules, and no one can make one right now. If the industry returns to life in May, do people pick up with the last job before the freeze, or do the job they were scheduled to do in May? No one knows.

The streamers will bounce back because they are the ones making a ton off this, but theaters are going to take a huge hit. This may be the end for smaller chains. This may also kill peak TV and all the new platforms may not happen if their content can't get made.

Then there's the fact that all the below the line workers, only a fraction of whom have a union, and are ALL freelance, probably don't make enough to have the savings to weather this. They are screwed if this lasts past April.

Me personally, I am above the line and in the WGA, and worked up through the end of last year-- which means I am vested health insurance wise until 2021, and I have enough in savings that I could live without working until the end of the year-- but I would then be totally wiped out and broke. I need to be working by June at the latest, or I'm screwed.

Hopefully that works out. We've unofficially be given a timeline of July at the earliest for return to work, but I'm sure the private sector will be back sooner, and Ohio has been taking steps much earlier than California to slow this thing down. So hopefully you burn through and can get back to work.

For any parents who don't know about it, look up Mo Willems Lunch doodles. My kids love it and my son has improved exponentially in his drawing.

We love the Elephant and Piggie books. For a while I was making my son read to me every night and we went through the entire series. Now he's able to read by himself a lot better so we've cut back on him reading to me, although I still read to the kids regularly.

Elephant and Piggie books are great, Lyra loves them too. At this point they're too easy for her now. She's been doing great with her homeschooling so far, though granted she's only been doing it for a week. She's always loved school so she's diving right in, with only a little push back. For some reason she always clashes with Katie when my wife tries to show her a better way to do something or explain why something is incorrect. She doesn't do it with me, and honestly, Katie is nicer than I am. We haven't been able to figure it out--she's always been that way, not just with school stuff. But mostly, so far so good on that front.

Eli is a mix of homebody and manic crazy too much energy to possibly get out in one day. The trampoline and tree swing we have have been lifesavers, but the rain we've been getting have made them less useful. With us really relaxing rules on TV times and bed times and rules in general, he's been, for the most part, really good as well. Very needy of attention, which has made working a little difficult, but I've only had one day of work from home so far. We'll see how it goes later this week, but I'm not too worried, despite my complaints of needing space earlier. I always come across more complainy than I really am. I wish I didn't, but it's an aspect of my personality I've come to accept.

As for me, today through Wednesday I'm on PTO. We were originally meeting some friends in a cabin in Big Bear, which obviously isn't happening. I'm going to use the time to really work on my story, which I haven't been very productive on the last 2-3 weeks. I can't deny I've been struggling with depression since this whole COVID thing really took off two weeks-ish ago. I haven't been working out regularly, been eating junk food and way too many carbs, and have to convince myself that just because I'll be home tomorrow doesn't mean I get to drink every night. Still keeping that to once a week, at least. Not off to a super great start with the PTO writing today, though. Bad wake up. Stupid cat. But I know how lucky I am to be able to work from home. We're not likely to be in any jeopardy financially despite all this going on, which is something not many can say. This makes the melancholy feel very selfish, which, of course, makes me feel it even more. Really lame how that works.

Katie's doing great. She's great. I don't deserve her.

It's a super good idea to keep schedules going so the transition back to regular life doesn't impact as much. I just got done with my first online lesson from home. It was crazy weird. I go back and do another lesson online in about 20 minutes.

I still need eggs. GAWDDAMNIT.

Basically, the whole world got on my level just as I was about to level up.

I havent been doing much of anything because of my health for the past year or so, my evenings and weekends have been spent mostly in bed. So, nothing really has changed for me.

Well, our diocese hasn't closed our churches, but the bishop has put severe restrictions on us. We are to have no more than five people in church at a time, including the priest, the cantors, and an altar server or two; we are to set up live streaming services for the people (which my church is working on, but many churches already do this); we are not to celebrate the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts until further notice, which is my favorite Lenten service; and Confession is by appointment only. For the most part, the people are compliant, but we're still not sure what to do about the few who still insist on showing up, whether we can (or should) kick them out or not. As a result, we had fifteen people on Friday and twelve on Sunday. The church was still eerily empty, though.

I just hate that this had to hit during Lent, which is my favorite time of year, mostly because of the increased amount of services which are penitential in nature. I especially dread what will happen if this isn't solved by Holy Week and Pascha (Easter) next month.

Other than that, I'm unemployed right now anyway, so not a huge difference. I can't go to the gym. My meeting with my mental health therapist was supposed to be for tonight, but it will take place by phone instead. The insurance companies are waving the copays right now, so that's a nice silver lining.

Nothing. I'm not missing a thing yet. We were told to work from home last Monday and I did for 4 days but my internet was down today so i had to come in.

But outside of my work locale, literally nothing has changed for me. I'm going about my own tiny life as I have been the past 4 years. I still haven't found toilet paper and I haven't seen my cat's food in the last 2 store trips but I have enough of both to get me through this week. It'll all be over by then RITE? (sarcasm)

I see more bonuses; my neighborhood is mostly very quiet now-fewer sirens and lighter construction. Almost no traffic in our parking lots. When I do have to go shopping, much fewer shoppers, although most everything is taking longer to transact there and at my bank. It's socially acceptable to stay at home now. more drive-thrus and delivery options are appreciated. I'm spending less on gas. I can do laundry as I work. I'm getting more work-everyone needs a COVID-19 script or two on their phones and in their ads.

NO PANTS FOR DAYS.

I may be able to finish my life living this way

I miss soccer, skiing, and the gym, I feel guilty because I am actually making out for the better (currently). Our nanny is only working half-days (she asked....we offered to keep her on fulltime) so we are saving a lot of money and I am buying a franchise and the SBA loan rates are almost free right now and will likely only be getting better.

I miss soccer, skiing, and the gym, I feel guilty because I am actually making out for the better (currently). Our nanny is only working half-days (she asked....we offered to keep her on fulltime) so we are saving a lot of money and I am buying a franchise and the SBA loan rates are almost free right now and will likely only be getting better.

Speaking of...when you need books...ya know...I know someone. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.