Final Fantasy VII Remake

Zerimar Nyliram

Is anyone excited for this game? Personally, this is one of the happiest times of my life (sadly). The original Final Fantasy VII was such a special game for me, and is the de facto reason why several friendships were formed. I got the game back in 1998, a year after its debut, when my older friend had gone to college and sold me his Playstation with all his games for $50. FF7 was among them.

At first, I didn't like the game. It was my first JRPG and my first time experiencing a turn-based combat system, so I really had trouble with the enemies and did not get very far. I tossed it aside for a while, until one day I saw the strategy guide at EB Games and thought, what the hell. I have it another chance, learning how to play the game properly, and I fell in love.

While the next installment, FF8, would come to be cemented as my favorite entry, FF7 is a close second and holds a special place in my heart. It got me into the series (though I've not gotten into any of the modern games), let me to a message board, and that is where I made several friends, including my best friend, whom I still talk to every day. She and I are ecstatic about the remake!

I played the demo twice. It's amazing! All of my fears about Square-Enix mucking it up have been eased. I just can't believe it's here, it's real, and it's good. It's great to have something to obsess about now that I'm no longer excited about Star Wars.

Anyone else looking forward to this game?

I never played the original but I'm keen to give this one a shot if it's close to living the original. I remember having arguments with my best friend back when it came out, which was the better game, Ocarina of Time or FF7? Neither of us had played the other game but would still have intensely heated arguments over it.

He has had a chance to play a remastered OoT, but I've never had a chance to play a remastered FF7, so I want to be able to play this just to resume the argument.

I'll still argue to my death though that Ocarina of Time is the greatest game of all time.

EDIT: to answer your question though, I'm excited for this game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played the demo and really enjoying it - I was going to pick it up after finally finishing Red Dead Redemption. However recently read that it isn't the full game that's been remade and it ends after half way or two thirds of the original? It sounds like they're intending on releasing another or more parts in the future. . .so I might hold off until then.

That said with quarantine I'll probably be bored enough next week to just grab it.

That's right - it is being released in stages so this first one is only covering Midgar (very much the opening chapters of the original - part way through disk 1 of 3 from the original), but they have expanded it greatly so it's a game in it's own right (as in 40 hours plus). No idea when the next part get's released.

The original was also a highlight for me back in the day. I was a big SNES fan and had enjoyed playing VI so much - what an epic that game was, still my favourite storyline of all the FF games. I got a Playstation purely for VII coming onto it after Square ditched Nintendo.

I can't tell you how many hours I put into the original VII - too many! I loved it and got everything collected or beaten. This remake... I don't know what to make of it. I have yet to get it - I am holding fire to see when the other parts get released. There is a strong chance that I will cave and get it though! :yes:

Hope you all enjoy it! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rogue, you might be waiting quite a while, as in five to eight years. They've said that they have no idea how many parts the project will encompass, though I am hoping it's only three. Four at the most, but a trilogy would be perfect. You can only stretch the games out so much before it just becomes milking. But yes, I sank countless hours into the original when it came out, and that game can be credited for the formation of many friendships, including my best friend.

That said, I finished the game tonight. Oh boy, let me tell you: I loved it! It was not what I was expecting at all! I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say that there's an underlying implication that inspires an "Ohhhhhhhh!" moment.

Wader: After experiencing the ending, I strongly encourage you to play the original first. I originally thought it would be fine for someone uninitiated, and honestly it is, but if you're unfamiliar with the original story you will miss out on that grand epiphany that I had (and apparently everyone else had, as YouTube can attest to). I don't think I can get any more specific without ruining it. You can get the original on Steam or PlayStation Store.

Ah good to hear that you loved it Zerimar! I reckon it won't be long before I cave and buy it - I've read lots of reviews and good to see the high marks it has been getting, but that seals it getting a positive note above from someone who enjoyed the original as much as I did! Happy days!

Another option for those wanting to play (or replay) the original is a 2 game box set on Nintendo Switch for VII and VIII if you fancy it. Handy having the option to play on big screen as well as on the handheld - both games on cartridge rather than download via Amazon. Tempted to get that as well!!!

If only this lockdown situation was occuring in my single and child free days - I would be blitzing through my games!!

• 2 months later...

Oh, dude, there's a whole other layer to the story and characters that's just impossible for you to get without having played the original! Seriously, if you play the original, then watch the movie Advent Children (not the best, but still worth it), once you go back to the remake, there will come a point at which you'll have this grandiose revelations and be like, "Whoa! Awesome!" It blew me away when I realized it, as it did so many other people on the Internet. It's something that's implied through dialogue and character interactions.

• 4 weeks later...

Zerimar.... man this game is superb! Finally started it earlier this week and as of late last night was up to mid way through chapter 5. Taking my time to explore and am really loving this game! Looks amazing and the way they have expanded what was in the original for this first part is really nice!

It's mainly real time battles (set up shortcut buttons for your favourite attacks (physical, magic or item usage), you defend or dodge (roll away) out of enemy attacks and so forth), but with an element of the old turn based style still retained in terms of a slow down of time if you go into the ability menu to find a specific attack you want to do for the main character or the rest of your current team. I like the use of the "stagger" bar also to drop your foes for a period of time.

The equipment setting is very similar to the original (at least how I remember it all those years back!) in terms of each of the 4 playable characters having a specific weapon type (sword, gloves, gun and staff) and you will find new models as the story progresses.

Materia equipped to these weapons (giving you spells and abilities) as well as to the 1 piece of armour per person, which will level up when equipped in battles. Limit breaks and summons still feature.

I like it to be honest - good solid challenge on Normal level that I am playing through at the mo, bosses with serious HP to take down! Hard mode unlocks after a play through I have read, along with a "Choose your Chapter" style extra to mop up trophy achievements with all your equipment and level status retained after you completed the game first time out.

Zerimar - as of last night, I am up to boss battle at the end of Chapter 12 (at least I presume it's the end based on my memories of the storyline and how it's fitting into this remake structure!). Really enjoying it - characters superbly done and the sub quests are great fun in those "in town" chapters! Looking forward to that ending you mention!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just in case you hadn't seen it, the PS5 version of this game is released on June 10th.   Enhanced features and new content with the introduction of Yuffie during the events of Part 1 (she is a character that doesn't join Cloud's team proper until we get to Part 2, and was an optional character in the original game, so it's nice to have her character beefed up in this remake) - trailer below plus a link to the details of the announcement

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-ps5-release-date-preorder

To sumarise, if you have it on PS4, you get a free upgrade to the enhanced PS5 version, but you don't get the extra Yuffie mission content for free (which I guess is fair enough as the game is quite cheap at present).   

FF VII Remake was a superb game I thoroughly enjoyed last year and I would highly recommend if you are a fan of the series, and I think those who are not would still enjoy this brilliant new version.

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled upon this the other day - Part 2 of the remake, officially titled “Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth”, has a release date of winter 2023.

Info on news article link below which also has a trailer on the page:

https://www.techradar.com/news/final-fantasy-7-remake-part-2

Very much looking forward to this! But as that’s a while off, we have something else to tide us over that’s released in December this year.
It’s a remake of the prequel to FF7 called Crisis Core, and the makers have said this is very much in the a compliment to the FF7 remake trilogy!

Article and trailer in link below. Already pre-ordered this! 

https://www.polygon.com/23351297/crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-reunion-remake-remaster-release-date-announced

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.