You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

4 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Well I have a cold so I think I'm going to die. And I know it's just a cold because of my free Joe Biden test kits. THANKS OBAMA.

Those tests are a little more complicated. You actually tested negative for not having COVOD.

• 1 month later...

Finally tested positive. So far only have a little bit of a head cold, stuffy nose and lethargy. The only reason I suspected it could be COVID was lots of people at work had gone down with it. Can't believe it took two years or more for me to finally come down with it, despite working and serving the public the whole time. Crazy 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:58 AM, Odine said:

Finally tested positive. So far only have a little bit of a head cold, stuffy nose and lethargy. The only reason I suspected it could be COVID was lots of people at work had gone down with it. Can't believe it took two years or more for me to finally come down with it, despite working and serving the public the whole time. Crazy 

HA about that part about two years. When the whole house got upper respiratory infections including the cats I was like we finally got covid. OMG. I made us all get tested (even the cats) and we were cleared but it felt really bad for those two weeks we were sick. I can only imagine for you. Hope you're on the mend. I guess you won't have to have a second booster now as you'll have the anti-bodies for a while.

Sooo I read that the Spanish Flu is what we currently experience as a mutation of the flus we get now. The things we forget. HA!

So our local Girl Scout council has dropped all requirements for masking, social distancing, gathering sizes, etc. We are going camping in June with all the other local troops at our local camp. Great. My entire troop is vaccinated. Also great. I missed a meeting tonight and someone was telling me that we should make our entire troop submit an at-home test prior to attending the camping trip. I am done. I am tired of enforcing rules. I have some hot mess parents who will forget and I will have to be the bad guy who sends someone home, or lose my mind with 500 reminders up until the day of. I know this is a silly thing to put my foot down about, but I'm not enforcing some requirement that isn't a real requirement, just someone making up a rule to add more CYA.

12 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

So our local Girl Scout council has dropped all requirements for masking, social distancing, gathering sizes, etc. We are going camping in June with all the other local troops at our local camp. Great. My entire troop is vaccinated. Also great. I missed a meeting tonight and someone was telling me that we should make our entire troop submit an at-home test prior to attending the camping trip. I am done. I am tired of enforcing rules. I have some hot mess parents who will forget and I will have to be the bad guy who sends someone home, or lose my mind with 500 reminders up until the day of. I know this is a silly thing to put my foot down about, but I'm not enforcing some requirement that isn't a real requirement, just someone making up a rule to add more CYA.

That is right.  I think that is my whole frustration.  All of a sudden we had to do contact tracing, temperature/symptom checks, etc.  It is easy to say--just do these things...but actually doing them is so challenging. 

I just don't like how this sets me up to be the bad guy. Not the people making the rules, but me. I am the one who has to send the crying kid and pissed off parent home. Not the couple of women who think this should be a rule when it's not an actual rule.

Also as an engineer, if something is not a requirement, then it's extra baggage that I don't need.

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I just don't like how this sets me up to be the bad guy. Not the people making the rules, but me. I am the one who has to send the crying kid and pissed off parent home. Not the couple of women who think this should be a rule when it's not an actual rule.

Also as an engineer, if something is not a requirement, then it's extra baggage that I don't need.

Hopefully you can just politely tell them to eff off. Or not politely.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:45 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

They are supposed to get me wording to send to the parents. Haven't seen it yet. When I get it, I plan on asking council about it. Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Is the local girl scout council professionals or just some borderline volunteers?  Because this sounds like a group of PTA moms (no offense) making up some rules for me to enforce and I am like, "you just make up a bunch of rules because you think they are a good idea".  

The people coming up with these ideas are volunteer. However, council is poorly paid employees whose number one priority is CYA,  which is why we had such strict rules for so long and they are finally gone, so if they don't care, why should we enforce extra rules. To show how CYA they normally are, I had to fill out a ridiculous form to take my troop horseback riding.  There is an actual horseback riding BADGE at this level. The wording I got from PTA moms was that they were asking us to have COVID tests within 24 hours of arriving at camp. There is zero officialness. Asking isn't a requirement. I'm gonna sit on this one for a bit.

Today council realized I don't have a co-leader. I have a cookie mom, though. So that's 2 volunteers on the books who are at everything and are properly background checked. They are actually threatening to shut my troop down if a parent doesn't step up. Have fun with that. Maybe I won't have to be a leader next year anyway!

9 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

The people coming up with these ideas are volunteer. However, council is poorly paid employees whose number one priority is CYA,  which is why we had such strict rules for so long and they are finally gone, so if they don't care, why should we enforce extra rules. To show how CYA they normally are, I had to fill out a ridiculous form to take my troop horseback riding.  There is an actual horseback riding BADGE at this level. The wording I got from PTA moms was that they were asking us to have COVID tests within 24 hours of arriving at camp. There is zero officialness. Asking isn't a requirement. I'm gonna sit on this one for a bit.

Today council realized I don't have a co-leader. I have a cookie mom, though. So that's 2 volunteers on the books who are at everything and are properly background checked. They are actually threatening to shut my troop down if a parent doesn't step up. Have fun with that. Maybe I won't have to be a leader next year anyway!

I know Girl Scouts isn't public education, but if it is too CYA they may be opening themselves up to a  lawsuit by inadvertently denying access guaranteed through ADA or a variety of other civil rights legislation.    CYA policies are an epidemic and frequently used to intentionally and unintentionally exclude children belonging to certain demographics including religions, non-English speakers, sexual orientation, race, social economic status, students with disabilities, etc. 

What sends me over the top, is these busybodies have no skin in the game.  They tell and don't do--at least help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well my son tested positive today. It started off as some sniffles this weekend and then he got stuffy last night and kept coming in our room to bug us. We tested him this morning and I have never seen one of those at-home tests light up with the T line right away like it did. Yikes. By noon he had a full-blown fever and is generally miserable.

Honestly, I think we are all going to get it. He is the hardest one to quarantine and we were around him all weekend. I have a feeling this variant is also a lot more contagious and vaccine resistant.

Oh wow. Poor E. It's pretty contagious now so I am making sure we still wash hands and wear masks. It's testing week and it's critical that we get as many as we can for standardized testing and three of my students are out with covid. 

Last night was pretty bad, his fever spiked to over 103 and he was exhausted/slightly delirious. I really thought we might have to take him to the ER last night because we gave him Tylenol and then ibuprofen and it didn't kick in for at least 2 hours. It was close, that's for sure. In good news, I think his fever has broken or is at least significantly lower without medication. Next step is to give him an expectorant because his coughing is not very productive.

I really need Q to not get this. Soccer tryouts are next week and last time it affected her fitness and she had brain fog for weeks. It already blew one tryout for her, I need that to not happen to her again.

• 2 months later...

I've caught Covid for the second time. It was around August of last year, that I'd first had Covid and was pretty much out of it for 10 days.  I had visited family back home last week and my Niece told her parents (Tuesday?) that she wasn't feeling good and was in contact with someone that had tested positive a week before. I flew home on Wednesday, felt fine on Thursday and felt a little tired on Friday evening, so I took a short nap. I got up and was feeling somewhat better. That was until I went to sleep and had fever ridden nightmares and a stuffed up nose that kept me tossing and turning all night. Today is the 1st day where I was able to stay awake for more than 3 hours. I could probably take a nap right now, but my sleep schedule would be all jacked up. I'm feeling a lot better than I did yesterday, so that's a plus.

Am I the only person here who has fallen into the internet rabbit hole of taking various over the counter supplements to augment my immune system (i.e. black seed oil)? Somehow I've managed to not get covid despite close calls with superspreader events. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.