You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

We attended a soccer tournament this weekend, about an hour's drive away, so somewhat urban but more rural than where we live. A few girls on the soccer team went back to wearing masks during games. (Personally I'm not concerned with outdoors, but I'll respect their decision to play it safe.) We still wear masks indoors and feel like we are a rarity. I'm a little bothered by the lack of masking I see on young kids. They obviously aren't vaccinated, so what the hell, parents.

Our governor announced that masks will be required for K-12 in the fall. Personally, I'm glad. My daughter hates it but follows rules. My son has just accepted it, and while sometimes I can't tell what's going on in that little brain of his, he does occasionally bring up that coronavirus is very dangerous and that we need to wear masks. I'll give his teacher most of the credit on that one.

I dropped out of both of my indoor soccer teams. I feel bad because they both need me, but I don't feel safe playing indoors right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the newsletter I sent to families last week...

So far...only ONE family send me hate mail as opposed to like 30 families saying THANK YOU.  The crazies are the loudest.  Honestly, I want to thank my time on nightly for teaching me how to write an email to minimize dumb-ass responses.  Try to argue with, "I don't want your kid to die or you go broke if we have to quarantine". 

Nice that you can do lunch outdoors.

Our governor took the decision out of everyone's hands. Mask mandate for schools, and now mask mandate for all indoor public places. Mandatory vaccines for educators, with some medical and religious exemptions allowed (I'm a little annoyed by that). No religious or medical exemption to masks.

I fully expect a few of my daughter's teachers to play the religious exemption card.

Damn, Philip, that is an awesome letter you put together there.

I am so jealous of all of you who live in states where masks and/or vaccinations are either mandated statewide in schools or schools are allowed to choose to implement such mandates.  The situation here is just terrible.  I had 10% of my undergraduate class contract covid between arriving on campus and the start of the semester.  I can only imagine how bad its going to get here.  In that class, though, at least I saw over half of the class wearing masks yesterday.  That seems to be an outlier, though, it seems.  My wife's classes in the afternoon had almost no masks and I have heard similar tales from other faculty, too.

Of course, it is very possible that at least many of the students are vaccinated.  I suspect that's the case in my graduate class, most of whom were not masking but were at least spread out throughout the room, but its still incredibly worrying.

I went back to wearing a kn95 to teach in.  I actually found it less bothersome than I remembered it being when I wore it last year and all of the students said they could hear me clearly, including those attending remotely.  At the moment, I'm not so concerned for my own safety given the precautions I take (and am looking forward to getting the planned third booster shot as soon as I can in October) and the constant incoming stream of data that suggests that the Moderna vaccine is still highly effective against delta and I am quite confident in my ability to pivot back to an online format at basically a moment's notice, but our hospitals here are already crowded with cases even prior to classes starting at both the schools and universities in town.

A teacher (unvaxxed) at Luke's old school died this morning from covid. The entire neighborhood is in apparently "deep mourning" over it, but they still won't send their kids to school in a mask. 

I'm absolutely dumbfounded at the utter lack of logic in all of this. 

Their trusted sources have lied to them for over a year about masks not working or being unhealthy. They’re idiots, but they’re also victims of a scam.

17 hours ago, Cerina said:

A teacher (unvaxxed) at Luke's old school died this morning from covid. The entire neighborhood is in apparently "deep mourning" over it, but they still won't send their kids to school in a mask. 

I'm absolutely dumbfounded at the utter lack of logic in all of this. 

I read a pretty good book on all of this called The Righteous Mind: Why good people disagree on religion and politics and the tl:dr is people act from their values not logic. For example, a lot of woman that are anti-feminisim may agree women make less then men or domestic violence in marriages is bad, but their value is the christian, traditional family--so they are against equal pay and think a woman should stay in an abusive marriage.  Even though I disagree, I understand where they are coming from. 

With that said...these anti-vaxers are fucking retarded. 

The Anchorage School District is requiring masks, the mayor is not and in fact has said no mandates should exist. The Matsu School District, which is the closest district to Anchorage, has no mask mandate at all. Matsu has 40+ schools and 15k+ students. The Anchorage School District has had individual cases since school started this year. The Matsu School District has had outbreaks at nine schools, including the bus drivers for those schools… because they don’t require the drivers to wear a mask either.

So far this school season it’s like someone is running an experiment with a control group and a test group.

In regards to the religious, and for lack of a less callous sounding emotion, I have been amused seeing a large swath of the religious suddenly wrestle with the directions about sickness which are in Leviticus. Major credit to the Tweeterer that started that trending.

My school district started requiring anyone who works for them have the vaccination as in fully vaccinated. And now the governor is suing them. I can think of about ten million other ways to spend that money. Masks are required.

There's no mask mandate in areas where I consider San Antonio to be more affluent. For instance in Boerne and Northside ISD on the NW side of town masks aren't required and students are actually told if they have a positive diagnoses and have a doctors note and show no symptoms they need to come to school. 

Meanwhile people can't get treated because there's no beds or enough nurses to assist with the treatment because people don't want to wear masks or quarantine themselves. My neighbor got his arm broken in a fight over a divorcee in the neighborhood and it's been broken for 3 days because the ER was so full he couldn't get in and had to wait for an actual appointment with an orthopedist. Maybe we'll get it right AFTER this rise n cases? Like it's "Try again America."  Wear a damn mask, stop being dumb about getting vaccinated and be a better human being. And to our Governor and Ted "the idiot" Cruz - it's not migrants who are spreading the disease it's your idiotic leadership that panders to the voter you court the most.  

Confession:

I wish I could be properly fully amused by or fully sympathetic about all of these staunch anti-vaxxers getting covid and dying. Instead I'm stuck in this in between that's making my head spin. I want to laugh. I want to weep. I want a vaccine for my youngest kiddo so I feel at least my family is safe. 

The news reports out of Houston concerning the virus are scary. This guy died because of a gall stone because he could not get treated in time at Houston County Hospital, I think, and they're holding patients in ambulances hoping for room but that can only go on so long. And 700 nurses were sent in to help but it's not enough. 

I have a friend in Arkansas who lives in a city that hosts the second biggest biker rally after the one at Sturgis and the hospital actual wrote a note the organizers asking that they please cancel the rally this year for the love of god, our nurses can't deal with this on top of covid. 

22 hours ago, Cerina said:

Confession:

I wish I could be properly fully amused by or fully sympathetic about all of these staunch anti-vaxxers getting covid and dying. Instead I'm stuck in this in between that's making my head spin. I want to laugh. I want to weep. I want a vaccine for my youngest kiddo so I feel at least my family is safe. 

We are a blip of hardcore blue surrounded by a sea of red.  They aren't vaccinating or masking and outright assaulting people that do.  Yet they get COVID and are overcrowding our hospital (we have the only major facility in all of SW CO) preventing vaccinated people with non-COVID illnesses can't get in.  Fuck them.

I just read a news story about a veteran who died of gall stones because none of the hospitals around here could get him a bed for treatment. Something completely treatable (almost routine I'd imagine), and he died because covidiots are filling up the ICUs. Houston has one of the largest medical centers in the world, and we can't treat people right now because of these fucking morons who have decided to politicize a global pandemic. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-us-hospital-icu-bed-shortage-veteran-dies-treatable-illness/

I have a friend who is a nurse practitioner, and so is his wife. Neither work in hospitals, but the wife’s sister is a nurse at a hospital and is on the verge of quitting because of the conditions they’ve been working in. And the more that quit, the worse it gets, but there are limits for everyone. 

Sadly, we’re already in a place where it doesn’t matter how many beds you have, we don’t have people to handle them all, and it’s going to get worse. In Ohio, we’re definitely behind Texas and Florida, but we’re moving up, we just crossed 5000+ per day, and that number shows no signs of decreasing. Basically the legislature made it illegal for any health department to do anything. So we’re dependent on people willingly doing the right thing, and the only people willing to do so are the people who are already vaccinated.

The Anchorage School District has now cancelled a school bus route apparently due to the driver getting COVID, and the bus company not having a driver available… because of COVID. 1,200 Approx new cases in Alaska split over the last two days. Meanwhile the State Fair is on, concerts, all sorts. The Foo Fighters were up here and required vax cards or recent negative tests to enter the concert. However also recently in Alaska, Customs seized 3,000 fake vax cards. So yay for people. Be all you can be, I guess, that being the shittiest person you can be, I guess.

Oh man, we're hurting for school bus drivers. Quite a few here thought not wearing a mask was a good idea and now contract tracing shows it goes back to the bus and it's practices that spread Covid. My "favorite" story about school right now making the rounds is there's a librarian doing a story reading without a mask to first graders and now ALL the families of these kids have Covid from her as unvaccinated kids were right there with her close up not wearing masks. 

"favorite" is not quite the word I am looking for but Jesus help these dumb ppl.

There's a meme going around about the Walking Dead where it was how did the population get so small for the first seasons of the Dead. And now we know. It was idiots just walking up to the zombies and asking for it. I agree with Delta airlines. Charge the unvaccinated $200 more for their insurance premium. 

Yup, so many think life is just back to normal.  It is crazy.  I feel, not bad, but odd, going to karate classes again/still, but we at least mask up there and are vaccinated, so should still have some protection.  It s just such an important outlet for exercise, stress, anger, and energy for me, though. I guess it’s just a risk that we’re willing to take at the moment.

So many other people don’t seem to understand the idea of risk mitigation, though.  You either are living life completely the same way as in 2019 or you’re locked down in your house not doing anything, so if you have to go out at all, you might as well be doing the former.

There’s a group that we’re part of that I’m ready to leave over COVID. It’s a Catholic group and originally most of the people were taking COVID seriously. Now, we’re the only ones masking, which undermines our parenting because all of the other parents are letting kids go mask-free. So we seem like we’re just being mean. Today I went ahead and said, in front of others, that our family is going to do what the CDC says, even if everyone else is just going to be selfish. I expect to get a call from someone about it, but I’m done pretending people aren’t being selfish by refusing to wear masks or get vaccinated.

16 hours ago, zambingo said:

In regards to kids and masks, I might be lucky because I have kids that absolutely adore ninja so I have had to explain they don’t need their masks in our own home.

It was a perfect storm yesterday. They wear masks at school, but the place we were meeting didn’t have air conditioning, so my kids were suffering more than any other kid. We should have left, but we didn’t.

Some parents in our Class of 20xx group announced they had bought their kids some mesh masks on etsy and they are soooo comfortable. Fml these kids better not be in my daughter's class.

Unfortunately, the N95 style masks I got for my kids fit me, not them, despite them being child sized. My kids and I both have small features. Fortunately, the KN94 duck bill style ones seem like they will fit my daughter if I tie the ear straps a bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.