You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

The problem with people who are vaccinated but still afraid to go maskless is the same as last year and the whole "its just like the flu" crowd. People can't understand small numbers and how one small number can be very much larger than another. Last year you'd hear the "only 1% of people die its like the flu!". Yeah 1% isn't too far off the death rate for this. The flu though is like 0.05% most years. So many people just see 2 small numbers and they can't understand that 1% is actually twenty times worse than 0.05%. 

Its similar here, most people can't understand just how low the chances of getting sick are for a fully vaxxed person. Not the chances of getting it, which are still small, but the chances of actually getting sick. Its incredibly low. The overall reporting of the media hasn't helped. Recently a poll came out asking people what were the chances of needing to be hospitalized if you got COVID. 47% of Democrafts and 27% of Republicans thought it was 50/50. The real answer is under 5%. 

At this point the no masks indoors thing is great, but how can businesses tell teh difference between vaxxed and no vaxxed people? They reasonably can't. We should give a few more weeks to people who want to get vaxxed and are planning on it to get it done. At that point nearly all restrictions need to be lifted and if you decided to not get the shot, then the risk is yours. 

I agree that people have a very hard time understanding the numbers involved.  Part of that is certainly tied to media coverage in both directions of overplaying and underplaying those numbers, but this is part of a larger problem of numerical illiteracy, in general.

It makes sense to be relaxing guidelines as both the number of vaccinated people goes up and increasing amounts of studies are released that show how high effective the vaccines are.  This is an important messaging issue to try to help persuade the vaccine hesitant members of society to get the shots.

Personally, though, it will probably take some time for me to feel comfortable going maskless everywhere.  First, I really don't mind wearing surgical masks, so if I am in an environment with a lot of people, especially if it is in relatively close quarters, I'll trade the slight discomfort of the mask for helping me control my anxiety as we ease back into some sort of return to normalcy.  I already had anxiety issues anyway, though, so this is a type of compromise I am comfortable with making.

On some occasions, I definitely plan to continue wearing a mask even outside because I have found the masks have helped me deal with allergens and irritants in the air, though that isn't directly related to the pandemic.  Likewise, I can see myself wearing a mask in some interactions with students once we return to face to face instruction in the fall since all sorts of other illnesses get spread easily around college campuses.

17 minutes ago, The Choc said:

The problem with people who are vaccinated but still afraid to go maskless is the same as last year and the whole "its just like the flu" crowd. People can't understand small numbers and how one small number can be very much larger than another. Last year you'd hear the "only 1% of people die its like the flu!". Yeah 1% isn't too far off the death rate for this. The flu though is like 0.05% most years. So many people just see 2 small numbers and they can't understand that 1% is actually twenty times worse than 0.05%. 

Its similar here, most people can't understand just how low the chances of getting sick are for a fully vaxxed person. Not the chances of getting it, which are still small, but the chances of actually getting sick. Its incredibly low. The overall reporting of the media hasn't helped. Recently a poll came out asking people what were the chances of needing to be hospitalized if you got COVID. 47% of Democrafts and 27% of Republicans thought it was 50/50. The real answer is under 5%. 

At this point the no masks indoors thing is great, but how can businesses tell teh difference between vaxxed and no vaxxed people? They reasonably can't. We should give a few more weeks to people who want to get vaxxed and are planning on it to get it done. At that point nearly all restrictions need to be lifted and if you decided to not get the shot, then the risk is yours. 

Our mask order ends on June 2, and I’m guessing some businesses will keep it after that. And some local governments will too, at least until a new law starts in July that gives the legislature the ability to end any health orders. 

But if you’re an adult Ohioan you’re in a lottery to win one of five $1,000,000 prizes.

In NY they've made some announcements that make no sense. On May 19 bars and restaurants can open at 100% capacity but have to keep groups 6 feet apart. It just makes no sense, what bar can be anywhere near 100% capacity if groups are seperated by 6 feet? Thats the frustrating thing here, they make announcements on reopenigs that don't do anything. Even when they went to 75% for bars and restaurants but with 6 foot distancing, what bar can even be at 75% keeping groups that far apart? 

Honestly, I'm just so used to wearing a mask now that I just do it even though I hit the 2-week mark tomorrow. But I don't wear it for running or when I'm outside unless it's a highly public place.

I'll use my daughter's soccer team as a case example. We are required to wear masks for my daughter's soccer games regardless of vaccination status, and I wear them at the practice facilities, mostly so they don't get in trouble and lose their practice space. The kids have to wear them full time during practices but can go without for games as long as they are on the field, sidelines need to put them back on. I am hoping that guidance changes soon. The season is over on Saturday, so I figure they are just finishing up the season. But I am also not that concerned about outdoor transmission. We have some families who are extremely fearful, however. My daughter is one of the ones who does not usually wear a mask on the field. But some families have their kids wear them all the time, and I've seen the fully vaccinated adults continue to wear them when they are going for a run with absolutely no one nearby. (Don't get me wrong, they're probably in great shape training like that, but I know it is not for training purposes.) They remind me of Brando's friend. I like them a lot but I think they are overreacting. Our kids are all too young to be vaccinated yet, so it will likely be a few more months of some sort of mask requirement for the kids.

What I am concerned about is we have a couple of anti-vaxx, anti-mask a-hole dads with kids on the team. One has refused for 6 months to let their daughter come to practices or games once they started enforcing masks at all times during the bad winter timeframe. This same dad wants his daughter to play again next year, and tryouts are next week but the mask mandate won't be gone by then. I have no idea how they feel about vaccines. Then we have the obnoxious team manager who loudly announces he "ain't afraid of no virus". He follows the mask rules but has loudly announced he won't get vaccinated because he "never gets sick". This is the kind of idiot I have to worry about spreading the virus to my kids who can't be vaccinated yet.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, Iceheart said:

Michigan reached the vaccine threshold to have all the remote workers return to the office two weeks from now.

I don’t know how I feel about all my coworkers invading my space.

Our company is 'remodeling' and cutting our footprint by 75%. Nobody will get their own desk or studio now, it's all shared space. This is going to be a nightmare.

Our governor is looking at June 3oth or earlier to 'open' our State.

I don't want to go back to the office. I miss seeing my co-workers but the advantages of working from home are just too good-no commute, kitties all the time, I can make breakfast and take a shower as I work. It's my own equipment so I sound better on air. I can light a dozen candles ( which I cannot do at work) I can do laundry. My product is better because I'm happier.

I'm also not down with sharing space until this pandemic is over.

And if I have to move to Florida, I won't be in the studio anyway.

Don't let them make me go back!~

Yeah, I think Washington totally botched the vaccine roll-out. They waited too long to make it available to everyone because they had this mindset of we need to get EVERY old person vaccinated before anyone else can get it. This led to people getting pissed off and frustrated and allowed the anti-vax movement to build momentum. They also did not build an easy-to-use program for old people to sign up. They used things like freaking Signupgenius to register people for appointments. They used mass vaccination sites that required someone to drive to the boonies or use public transportation (which I wouldn't really consider to be safe if you are older) instead of more localized neighborhood sites like fire stations or senior centers or even doctor's offices. So while they did all of this in the name of equity, they didn't actually make it equitable. They just made it easy on their end.

Now they are dangling vaccination levels as the latest "carrot" to open up sooner. If we can hit 70% vaccination rates before June 30th, we can open up sooner. Screw that, those people are willing to wait 6 more weeks. We aren't going to get anywhere near 70% by then.

For Ohio, you could just leave it at “We aren't going to get anywhere near 70%” because it’s never going to happen.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, Iceheart said:

I’m the afternoon receptionist, the morning receptionist texts me this morning about the reopening plans, and she’s going on and on about how she hates wearing masks and refuses to wear one in the office when everyone comes back and she’s just going off... she’s also an anti-vaxxer. If you hate masks that much... get the damn shot like the rest of us so we can get to 70% vaxx status and lift the mask mandate.

I’m kind of glad we work opposite schedules.

Morning receptionist texts me out of the blue this morning - "We are starting to get our freedoms back and people are loving it!"

I texted back "yeah, the vaccine rollout is happening so fast, I didn't think we'd get to this point until fall or winter!"

That stopped the whole convo.

Well Cuomo essentially ended the mask mandate today. Officially its for only fully vaxxed people but realistically no real way to stop un vaxxed people. He even said that businesses can handle it however they want and won't be policed in terms of having to check vax status. 

36 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Well Cuomo essentially ended the mask mandate today. Officially its for only fully vaxxed people but realistically no real way to stop un vaxxed people. He even said that businesses can handle it however they want and won't be policed in terms of having to check vax status. 

It’s hard. The CDC pretty much undercut any attempts at doing anything with the latest guidance, and unvaccinated people at this point are already anti-maskers anyways. 

10 hours ago, The Choc said:

I thought they may give it a few more weeks to allow people who want to get vaccinated but haven't yet a bit more time. Overall its about time though I think. 

I agree. Ohio is dropping masks completely on June 2, and the announcement was intended to get stragglers to get vaccinated. Now it pandemonium and there are different rules different places based on local orders. So for Ohio we were heading there, but this just made it all more confusing.

OMG OMG OMG! The Library is opening up to 15 minute browse sessions for people who schedule ahead. And I have never been more excited. I can't order books for pick up online. I need to see and touch them and read their dust jackets and now I can get a pile of books to read and I've never been happier.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, Cerina said:

I'm 20 hours into my 2nd shot (Moderna). I don't know if it's cold in here or if I'm feeling feverish. Could be either, tbh. 

Noah gets his first shot today. 

It was a fever. I slept all day yesterday. 

We went out to celebrate being fully vaccinated. Ate in a restaurant and went wine tasting. We stopped in a nursery to kill time. My husband put his mask back on because he swore we were being stink eyed by all the old people outdoors wearing masks.

I am far from an anti-masker. I will likely wear mine to the grocery store and other highly public places because its just too easy to lie about being vaccinated and no one will challenge you because they don't want to deal with the drama. Regular indoor restaurant dining will not be a thing until the kids can get vaccinated anyway, likely not until fall. But I'm not going to wear it outdoors when there is plenty of space for social distancing like there was at the nursery. But this is admittedly the issue with dropping mask mandates. No one trusts anyone because we've done such a colossal job of fucking up at every opportunity during this pandemic.

We've both been fully vaccinated for awhile and needed to go to Dallas for something anyway, so we took this opportunity to go on a short vacation.  Since the weather has kind of sucked here for a lot of days, we have ended up going to more indoor locations, mainly museums.  These places have had generally good procedures, like spacing out entry times and strictly enforcing mask-wearing.  We've eaten indoors a few times, too.  In one restaurant, we were literally the only people in there besides the staff, so it wasn't a big deal at all.  We've also eaten in the farmer's market a few times, where we were far from other people and the building seems quite well ventilated.  Last night, though, we went to Medieval Times, so there were definitely plenty of other people around, though we were spaced out pretty well while eating.  Once I finished eating and drinking, I put my mask back on because I was more comfortable that way.

Despite this trip kind of forcing us back into being around other people, I plan on going back more or less to what has been our normal for the past few months with us mainly staying at home or walking around outside with the one exception being going back to karate classes after a year off from it in place of teaching classes since the semester ended. 

I will definitely keep wearing my mask inside.  I don't trust most of the people in our home city to be responsible about any of this.  In the meantime, it feels super nice to have been able to get away for a little bit.

I have a few friends who are fully vaccinated and we’re planning on getting together sometime in June. It’ll be good to see people.

We finally planned our first family vacation in July. My dad and my husband's dad and stepmother and half-brother will meet us in Walla Walla at the end of July. So basically what we do for Christmas every year, but in summer instead. We need to make plans for visiting my husband's mom in Florida, too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.