You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

4 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I don't get how it feels like every state is opening up to every adult and we just got started on grocery store workers. Did we get screwed on doses or does no one want them in other states?

To me, it seems like people think since there are vaccines being distributed (whether or not they had a shot themselves) that they have decided to just ignore the CDC.  Particularly red states, with GOP governors declaring the lock down effectively over.  That is how it is in AZ at least.

Personally, even after I get my second shot, I am still masking up and observing the 6 ft spacing until at least the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

To me, it seems like people think since there are vaccines being distributed (whether or not they had a shot themselves) that they have decided to just ignore the CDC.  Particularly red states, with GOP governors declaring the lock down effectively over.  That is how it is in AZ at least.

Personally, even after I get my second shot, I am still masking up and observing the 6 ft spacing until at least the end of the year. 

That's at least a big part of it.  In big states, though, (and likely other states, too, but amplified in these cases) there is a huge divide within the state with different locations ready to advance eligibility at different times.  In various parts of West Texas, for instance, there have been regions ready to expand eligibility far faster than the more urban areas of the state.  Of course, a lot of that comes down to politics in multiple ways.  Unfortunately, there is a smaller proportion of the public here that want to get vaccinated than in the other parts of the state likely due to the political divide over covid. 

While it would seemingly make sense, then, after getting the high priority folks vaccinated, to send more doses to areas with higher demand, the state seems unwilling to do that since their voting base is the more rural areas.  Even if people don't want the doses, it would be poor optics for them to cut back on dose availability to their voters.  The only option, then, is to open eligibility to more people so as to not waste the vaccines.  This, of course, further aggravates the people in the more urban areas who can't even get appointments prior to the progression of eligibility.

There's also the political aspect of deciding who is eligible at different stages.  From the beginning, Texas's plan has definitely been focused on freeing up hospital space and lowering deaths, which I completely agree with.  However, after that, they didn't seem to want to have jobs play a role in eligibility at all.  They only expanded to teachers and childcare workers because the Biden administration basically forced them to do so.  If you don't want to go the job-based route, once you get past the 50+ age range, it is hard to justify age-based roll outs since risks are fairly similar across the lower age ranges.  If those two routes are removed and you've already vaccinated the most at-risk populations, the only real sensible route is to open it up to everyone since now we re at the point of just needing to get doses into as many people's arms as possible.

It also gives them the optics of opening it up to everyone even before Biden's mandated May 1 timeline.  Plus, with that deadline in place, there's only about one month difference between opening it up now and waiting a month.

Now, with all that said, I hate that we didn't open it up to people in the critical infrastructure and basic functioning job sector in-between.  Those people have worked their asses off in dangerous conditions for the whole year and should get some priority as a result.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, Odine said:

Those drive through centers look like something out of world war z or 28 days later 

I got my first dose of Pfizer Wednesday at the city's convention center, and very much felt like I was an extra in a disaster movie. They really moved us through quickly, though, I got there a little after 2pm, and was done with observation by 2:45.

I'll be fully 5G compatible and Satan's lackey by the end of April, go me!

A friend of mine just posted a screenshot of the news reporting the dramatic drop in flu cases this season. Apparently he and his other friends don't believe it. They literally don't believe that virus prevention measures actually prevent viruses. And these are college educated people. 

I seriously need to delete my Facebook. 

Background - I'm the afternoon receptionist, and there's a morning receptionist. Today she tells me that she's pretty sure she and her daughter both had Covid starting two weeks ago now. Both of them lost their taste and smell. 

Not only did she not bother getting tested, she also never bothered self-isolating, and came in to work every day. Oh, and we share a workstation.

If I get Covid and it delays my surgery plans even further... not to mention I could have gotten SEVERELY sick getting the vaccine if I had an active infection.

I cannot with this office. 

That's the biggest thing with how it gets into schools. We count on parents to screen and have no screening process like they do at my second job (I have to take my temp in front of a security guard and have a mask on). So basically we're counting on the same ppl who can barely feed their own children and wash their clothes to also make sure they're not sick when they get off the bus and come in and touch eleventy billion surfaces because asking a kid to not touch something is like an open invitation to, you know, touch stuff. I work at school now and now I'm paranoid that I forgot to wipe a surface down or did I just touch my face to push my glasses up and WHY haven't allergens stop pollinating!? HAHAHA. I am ded. 

Texas is now fully open for vaccination. Hopefully I will get my Faucci Ouchi soon.

At the very least, she should leave some poop in a bag on their porch.

I don't want to jump the line... but I'm about to jump the line. I'm hearing about leftover shots at the end of shifts and tons of appointment availability that isn't being filled or no-shows because everyone is on 3 lists and doesn't cancel their appointments. State is not "requiring" the eligibility questionnaire in 2 days. Our county says only 17% of the population is fully vaccinated. That is shameful.

I think we've gone the wrong way with equity and state and local government isn't able or willing to pivot to accomodate because it's more work to truly be equitable. Mass-vaccination sites in downtown Seattle mean people in the northern part of the county can't get there easily. We really need to distribute on a smaller level to more local clinics that are more accessible like pharmacies, grocery stores, and fire departments (one local fire department offered their space and was turned down because all of the vaccines went to downtown Seattle). So they're going to quietly do away with the eligibility questionnaire and turn a blind eye and pretend we are all still following the rules.

Very few pharmacies. When I look at our county health vaccine finder, it only lists some Walgreens, and someone told me they got theirs at Safeway. Basically 90% is either county health department or a few major hospital networks like Kaiser Permanente. Our local Healthcare conglomerate that I would call one of the major Healthcare providers in the county told us they don't have any, despite requests.

Found an appointment for Moderna on Friday at a pediatric office of all places lol.  There is so much supply that they are giving them out mid-day to anyone at major vaccine sites because they have friends in the know. Literally 2 coworkers today posted vaccine selfies, I'm over it. Biden also said 90% of Americans should be able to get it by 4/19, so I'm just doing it. 

Didn't get an appointment for my husband yet, he didn't pick up the phone when I called him to ask him, and then all the slots were gone. We will try next week when we're on "spring break".

As expected, everyone in the state is posting vaccine selfies today because the eligibility tool went away today, even though several of the pharmacy partners have not updated their websites to allow people entering the new phase eligibility (ages 60-65, people with 2+ medical conditions, and grocery/restaurant/construction/manufacturing) to sign up for all the open spots they claim they have (Rite Aid and Kroger, I'm looking at you). Spent 30 minutes on the phone waiting for a place to tell me their next available was 4/21. I took it for my husband, but I will keep looking to see if I can get him in sooner. I also lost a spot at Walgreens because he didn't have an account and the time I took to open an account, it was gone.

What I am finding is that many of the appointments are only open to current customers of the various medical practices. One of my friends got her vaccine this weekend and she has Kaiser insurance, and she distinctly overheard them saying not to pull out more vaccines because they didn't have enough people registered for the day. But then when I tried to get an appointment, they said it was only for Kaiser patients. So practices are hoarding vaccines for their customers and preventing other, likely smaller practices from being able to get them. What a shitshow.

I got Trevor an appointment for his first shot tomorrow. I still haven't been contacted from the waitlist. I signed us up at the same time, so I don't know what the difference is. But at least he's getting one which is good since he's still partially working and definitely sees more people than I do. 

37 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

As someone who has worked in insurance for a long time, eff Kaiser. Big business pretending to be healthcare.

I've heard some pretty terrible things about them as well. Sent my best friend to an unqualified doctor to do surgery on her, and then when the doctor botched the job, balked at paying for her revision surgery. So I just generally assume they are dicks.

Governor announced this afternoon that everyone is eligible 4/15. They need shots in arms ASAP to avoid a 4th wave. I did manage to get my husband a shot at a mass vaccination site tomorrow, thank God. So now I have to endure a terrible wait time to cancel his on 4/21

Today's update is that they've been hanging out in the same priority phase (65+, and then finally added teachers a month ago) for 3 months is because 27% of our over 65 population is still completely unvaccinated. So are we failing to help the elderly get the vaccines, or do they do not want them?

They've been going so large scale, I think the key may have been using smaller, community based vaccination sites (schools on weekends, senior centers, churches, etc). I dont want lines of grandmas around the block, but the technological component has supposedly been an issue. I ran into a bit yesterday when I lost that spot at Walgreens because I had to register for an account. For awhile I heard they were using Sign-up genius at many sites and that was frustrating for many people who aren't familiar with the site and didn't pre-emptively make an account with information that could be filled out again and again.

I am really hoping that this is not an issue of mistrust of vaccine development, but I think that is at least partially responsible (hoping it is more like 5% but worried the number may be closer to 20%).

My husband got his vaccine today. His card is tiny! I think they are trying to save paper at this point haha. Its not even on cardstock.

Weirdly all the hospitals here in my city don't give out the vaccine. You either get lucky with a CVS or HEB pharmacy and drive way out of your county to get it, wait at major vaccination sites or hope that your work can arrange something like my school district. I may get mine now that it's opened fully to everyone except children. 

Tina has been turned down by the kidney foundation for getting the shot because she's living with just one person and is under 50 but hopefully it will change.

I think the biggest issues is that it's been a good luck with it, no clear way to get this done, messaging that sucks. Every other vaccine you just call your doctors office or show up at a pharmacy and bam, you got your tet, flu and what ever else shot. But not the big vaccine everyone should get now. It's check this site, or call this number or do this or that. UGH.

7 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

So Tina can't get it because they don't think its a good idea?

That's what they told her. They had people in dialysis turning it down and she said she'd take the shot before it gets wasted. Sounds like dumb to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.