You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

Ha!  All of my family who has it is halfway across the country from me, so this won't affect my ability to see them at all, really.  It's just nice to know they're protected.  My parents were eligible due to age and some conditions and my brother and his wife were able to got it due to their jobs (which their state cares about).  Texas has given us no idea who is next in line, partly because our current phase covers so many people in the state, so we will have to wait and see for my wife, too.

I'll also be thrilled once her parents can get vaccinated, but China's got logistical issues that put everything here to shame.  Things are also much more under control there, so they're already able to behave at least a little more normally.  Masks are also not a problem there, really.  When I visited two years ago at Christmas, it was very common to see people wearing masks anyway, even if just due to pollution. I was masked up most of my time there for that reason.  IT was good practice for now. :p 

My shoulder is sore again, similar to what happened after the first doe, but it isn't too bad.  I felt really tired and pretty lousy earlier.  Nothing terrible, just mainly a sense of just not feeling normal with some nausea mixed in. A tylenol, a nap, and a berry smoothie helped me feel better, though.  Hopefully, nothing else show up over night.

I got hit with some more side effects overnight.  Various muscles started aching along with a little bit of soreness in some joints.  It then took me awhile to get to sleep, though that could have been due to my nap earlier in the day.  In the early morning, I was shivering some, but that was probably also due to it getting super chilly here last night.  I also seem to be running a low fever.

Even with the symptoms that came in overnight, I don’t feel horrible by any means, but it is more just that I don’t feel particularly good.  Fortunately, I could work from home today, even getting in my lecture later this afternoon.

Once you are able to get your vaccines, especially the second dose if you didn’t have Covid beforehand, it would likely be more comfortable for you if you are able to take one day away from work, at least anything too strenuous.  

One last update on the vaccine: the side effects all started to go away almost exactly 36 hours after I got the shot.  As such, they really only lasted about 24 hours for me from start to finish.   They really weren't so bad, just disruptive for a day or so.  Hopefully, my experience with the Moderna vaccine is at least somewhat helpful to even just one of you here.

30 minutes ago, Zathras said:

What do you mean by won't bother?   They can't fire you for having COVID can they?

I mean if they’ll bother going back to the office. My old employer definitely was trying to find a way to fire me, but they’re out of the picture. New job starts on Monday.

1 minute ago, Zathras said:

That is Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! I’m technically unemployed right now. Yesterday was my last day with the old job and Monday is the first day for the new. Waiting for them to contact me about getting technology delivered today or tomorrow.

My company had chilled out for awhile because things were so bad during winter. Now they're starting to talk about return to office again, targeting no earlier than end of 2Q2021. So just in time for all of us to scramble for summer camps. Ugh. They had also been talking about some of us being permanently remote and now they're all like don't move to Idaho, you're going to need to be here 2-4 days a week, which is up from most of you will only be in the office 2 days a week. There goes my dream of moving to the boonies.

Honestly, I don't want to deal with finding summer camp every week. Some weeks fine, or even half days would be nice, but I'm cool with my kids being feral for the summer and taking every other Friday off or whatever.

9 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

My company had chilled out for awhile because things were so bad during winter. Now they're starting to talk about return to office again, targeting no earlier than end of 2Q2021. So just in time for all of us to scramble for summer camps. Ugh. They had also been talking about some of us being permanently remote and now they're all like don't move to Idaho, you're going to need to be here 2-4 days a week, which is up from most of you will only be in the office 2 days a week. There goes my dream of moving to the boonies.

Honestly, I don't want to deal with finding summer camp every week. Some weeks fine, or even half days would be nice, but I'm cool with my kids being feral for the summer and taking every other Friday off or whatever.

ULA just approved full remote for my wife so we could move to Durango.  They are also talking about renting out like Regis offices for individual employees.  ULA doesn’t want people to come back but I think they have to stay in Colorado.  

I was thinking about that the other day and wondering if ULA had approved her to work from Durango. I mean, if she really needed to go in for something important, she could, she would just need some notice. I'm glad they approved that so that you can both live the good life!

Seriously still thinking about asking if we can move back to Florida but report to Titusville a few days a week. Or at least working from there for the summer (but my MIL lives 60 miles away so that would be a haul on those days).

19 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I was thinking about that the other day and wondering if ULA had approved her to work from Durango. I mean, if she really needed to go in for something important, she could, she would just need some notice. I'm glad they approved that so that you can both live the good life!

Seriously still thinking about asking if we can move back to Florida but report to Titusville a few days a week. Or at least working from there for the summer (but my MIL lives 60 miles away so that would be a haul on those days).

Yeah, her request went all the way to the COO.  She kept getting approvals but they were all with the caveat of “let’s check with the next person on the ladder”.  Part of that was they don’t have the paperwork or protocols in place, so I suspect she is among the first, if not the first to go fully remote...at least at the Denver office.  You are right, part of the agreement is that she is willing to come to Denver.  She also has to go to Huntsville and the Cape every so often too.  

Florida...summer...120 mile daily commute...there’s a whole lot going on there...

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Hoping it would only be 2 days a week. But yeah, I did it for my internship for 3 months and did 45 miles one way daily when I lived there. The commute was not sustainable, for me, at least.

And as an intern , I am sure you were eager and willing to deal with that in hopes of getting your foot in the door and making a good impression.  Now you are made...:)

Well, teachers now have priority for vaccines and supposedly all American adults will be vaccinated by the end of May. Not sure whether to jump for joy or be super skeptical. I guess I just feel like too many people are ready to declare victory in advance so it almost doesn't feel real.

A year into this, I'm hoping our company keeps their promises about work-life balance. Right now there are several people in the management ranks who think that you being home all the time means that you are in the office all the time, too. I am looking forward to having that separation again, but it sounds like I will be in the office 2-3 days a week. We are going to try to rotate our days so that one of us will always be home to get our son on/off the bus. (or dropped off at school, since the bus proposal this year had him picked up at 7:15 for a 8:35 school start, no way in hell. Its a 10 minute drive to/from the school.) If there is one thing I've been grateful for in all of this, its that we haven't had to worry about putting him in an after-school program and its a much calmer environment for him.

Our company announced this week that we all need to be back "home" by the end of the month. One of my younger coworkers just moved to Colorado (back home) because his lease was up. He's asking for a remote assignment. If they don't give it to him, I suspect he will find something else. That's too bad, he's a really good engineer. I think they're being a little crazy, there's no way we will be back until at least May. I think they're Sabre rattling. But I also think that we haven't been as productive as of late, and they want to blame it on working remotely instead of the thousands of layoffs they did last year.

4 hours ago, Cerina said:

Monday: Houston now the first city to officially have all known covid variants! 

Tuesday: Governor Abbott decides that means that the pandemic is over and Texas is ready to reopen. Oh and he's removing the mask mandate. 

He has to turn attention away from the recent state-caused disaster. And given the fact that Texas is still a Republican state, it will probably work. It’d probably work here, too.

The dumbness that is Texas' governor opened the state up on March 10. 100% open. No masks required. Just in time for spring breaks. And the school smacks down by saying no spring break. Too much school lost for snow days. And yes, wear your mask. 

I was in HEB the other day and some people that made appointments to get their vaccine in their pharmacy never showed up so they made an announcement over the PA system to come get your free moderna shot. First come first served because they didn't want to waste them. I got there too late and they ran out but now I'm thinking about hanging around HEB tonight. LOL

I would take the Johnson and Johnson shot. I mean being not hospitalized is a good thing and I am hoping ppl keep on washing their hands and being general good clean citizens.

I was hoping against hope before the announcement was made yesterday that the state was announcing expansion of vaccination eligibility rather than this.  Sadly, I knew that wasn't happening, though.  On the surface, at least, if he was going to reduce measures, I can understand expanding the opening of businesses.  I get that there are many financial and economic reasons for the state to want to do that beyond what is recommended by experts.  Removing the mask mandate at the same time is such a recipe for disaster, though.  Even during the opening remarks of his announcement, when he mentioned people being familiar with PPE now, I was still foolishly hoping that he would just open businesses back up without removing the mask mandate.  I had to leave to go teach partway into the announcement, though, and was, of course, horrified (though not shocked) that the mandate came off, too.

It was so nice of him to come all the way out here to make the announcement. :unimpressed:

Our university has been silent so far on what this means for our classes.  I imagine there will be a huge revolt if they suddenly tell us that we can't enforce masks in our classrooms.  My only solace yesterday was that my wife was able to get the first dose of the vaccine yesterday by volunteering at the county clinic.

Good luck with the vaccine, Spam.  I really hope that you can get a dose soon!

What's worse is we have the worst vaccination rate and it's all over the place for policies. University system wasn't even asking the 1a or 1b things and giving vaccinations all willy nilly. Meanwhile my sister was rejected for a shot by the kidney foundation because she lives alone, is 45 and doesn't go out because she doesn't have a car and is low risk as long as she wears a mask. Me, it's just a collective mix of hoping I get one at HEB or not since they're following the Governors stupidity by saying its employees can wear a mask but they won't enforce it on customers or hoping my school comes through because I can't be on the phone all day trying to get a shot.

Texas is a state that had the highest deaths and we're not even at herd immunity. What a joke. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.