You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

I just got Karened for the first time ever this week.

On Tuesday, we had a group of students that came to school in person for the first time this year.  One seventh grade girl was with her mom and lined up outside waiting to come in with a face shield.  I walked up and said good morning and asked if she had a mask for the classroom.  The mom said yes, but said she knew the principal and he was going to approve a 504 (a plan for students with health issues, such as poor eye sight or ADHD to receive certain accommodations such as larger text books, preferential seating, etc) so she doesn't have to wear a mask because it causes her anxiety.  I don't want to argue so I just said, "okay...well until then, just make sure has a mask on when she enters the building.".  So then I got Karened and the mom said to mind my own business and she was reporting me to the principal.  I nodded, said "have a good day" and just walked off. 

I could tell the girl was mortified (she knew me) by her mom's behavior.  I checked in with her later and she was totally fine with the mask and was just fed up with her mom. 

I wonder how much the anxiety some children have is really their parents' that is projected. 

Like this lady I know is super neurotic, high energy and just go go go all the time. She tells me how she's worried about her daughter cause she's in another city and has anxiety and I was thinking... "You're stressing ME out, I can only imagine what your child must've inherited through the years" 

50 minutes ago, Odine said:

I wonder how much the anxiety some children have is really their parents' that is projected. 

Uh, like 90% of them. And I count our family in there because my daughter was recently diagnosed with anxiety and I've become a lot more aware of what we say in front of her to not add to it. I likely have high-functioning anxiety, my husband is also undiagnosed but definitely has it. I am starting to notice a lot of family history there, probably because these thinking patterns perpetuate themselves in a family environment.

It is spreading pretty uncontrollably here right now, sadly.  The city/county had a number of poorly-thought out events, including a county fair, some concerts, and local pro-trump rallies, but the spread is so bad now that they cannot even conclusively say those events were super spreader events because the people who caught covid were traveling around the area way too much.

We are only a few days away from having a state-mandated rollback of reopenings, assuming local businesses and the city/county even enforce the state's policies. 

10 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

It is spreading pretty uncontrollably here right now, sadly.  The city/county had a number of poorly-thought out events, including a county fair, some concerts, and local pro-trump rallies, but the spread is so bad now that they cannot even conclusively say those events were super spreader events because the people who caught covid were traveling around the area way too much.

We are only a few days away from having a state-mandated rollback of reopenings, assuming local businesses and the city/county even enforce the state's policies. 

Fucking Texas

Yeah, I told my daughter there won't be any soccer games until spring... because you know this will blow up over Christmas when everyone sees each other. Of the 11 teams in our division, only 4 are eligible to play right now... and our club just opted out because while according to thr very poorly defined rules we are "safe", the reality is there is a 2-week delay and we are mostly definitely not safe to play other teams. I'm glad they are making the right decision but its mostly to stay in the good graces of the county health department. They know what it will look like if they are forcibly shut down. This won't be over until we have a vaccine widely distributed.

Fortunately a lot of families in the quarantined classrooms are testing as negative so far, but there's at least 1 more week to go. I think that is a good sign that masks and good ventilation work. (Apparently the church/school invested in this super fancy HVAC system that the health department was impressed with.) Many of our friends in public schools were surveyed about whether they will return to school in hybrid or stay virtual. Most are picking virtual.

Ohio has hit a point where we’re seeing record highs on a regular basis. Not exponential growth, but still growth and I don’t think there’s much we can do to stop it. People aren’t going to follow any orders, the people who will already do, and the people who don’t either believe the rules don’t apply to them or thing the rules are Communism and totalitarianism.

I am still amused by the 'wear a mask' bullshit. Nobody is going to change their mind on this stance no matter what anyone else says or does yet people continue with this. I wear one because I don't know if I'm Typhoid Mary or not but of someone doesn't wear theirs, I just don't jam my tongue down their throat. Is this wrong?

So, is anyone else nervous about having tiny superspreaders coming to the door for candy this weekend?

I read somewhere that kids younger than 5 carry something like 3x-5x the virus load as adults, and stay asymptomatic far more frequently. But my grandma wants to see the cute little kids in their cute little costumes and get close enough to give them candy, and I don't know if she'll remember her mask each time...

If you’re standing and they’re short, it shouldn’t be too dangerous. But we’re not doing trick or treat, we’re turning off lights and hanging out. 

Our neighborhood is doing a separate “trunk or treat” the next day with strict safety rules. Not ideal, but better.

Positive case at Lyra's school, so no in person classes til after Thanksgiving. We need to find out which class the case was in, because the classes don't mingle. If it's her class, then obviously we're going serious quarantine. If it's Eli's or any of the other classes, we don't have to worry much, since Eli is still on 100% homeschool. The shitty party of it (besides no in person school) is that this weekend is Lyra's birthday, and we were doing a thing with some people in our bubble and a couple classmates, masked of course.

Ugh.

One of my coworkers's fiancé tested positive, so she's on quarantine, but she never wears a mask while wandering around the office, so now I'm like uhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay, is anyone else getting kind of pissed off at the people who are being super precious about this, though? My job, I have to be in the office five days a week, there's no alternative. But I have (another) coworker in a different department that's set up for remote work who is locking down so hard she's not having any physical contact with anyone other than her husband while the current spike is happening. Cool beans. Except for that to happen, she's relying on me going into the office to snail mail her all her materials as they come in. Super cool that she gets to opt out of Covid by relying on others to risk infection for her. Zero acknowledgement of this on her end.

Jacob, if she was in the class that had the positive test kid you should have been notified. I just know some parents don't answer strange numbers. LOL. So you maybe getting a strange local phone number in your caller ID you aren't answering. 

They are cracking down on masks at my second job. Gotta wear them or get the boot. Now some people like governors are coming out saying stuff like Biden just said - wear them because it's free and it helps stop the spread. 

The Pfizer vaccine Biden talked about took no government money or worked with Trump's light speed program. 90% efficacy. I dunno.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.