You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

I don't get the digital fight to the death over wearing a face mask. I'm not a big fan of mandates, but I wish people would voluntarily wear them when appropriate.

The shutdown really irked me. When our Governor rolled out his statewide shutdown, then extended it, the majority of counties in Idaho had zero covid cases. Telling people they can't make a living in those circumstances is authoritarian stupidity. We flattened our economy because of a nonexistent curve. Now cases are rising and people don't care what the professionals and politicians say. There are a lot of people here that want to trade Brad Little and a few bags of potatoes for Kristi Noem.

While I was in Arizona some dumb lady said she doesn't wear the mask because she'll end up with tan lines. San Antonio is at 50% for ICU beds.

... but you only have to wear them indoors, and in crowded outdoor places. My tan lines are very normal right now, and I've been masking.

I read an article somewhere about how people in South Korea are currently rebelling against the mask mandate because it's so hot and humid, and public health ministers are freaking out.

I don't get the digital fight to the death over wearing a face mask. I'm not a big fan of mandates, but I wish people would voluntarily wear them when appropriate.

The shutdown really irked me. When our Governor rolled out his statewide shutdown, then extended it, the majority of counties in Idaho had zero covid cases. Telling people they can't make a living in those circumstances is authoritarian stupidity. We flattened our economy because of a nonexistent curve. Now cases are rising and people don't care what the professionals and politicians say. There are a lot of people here that want to trade Brad Little and a few bags of potatoes for Kristi Noem.

Who told people they can't make a living? And 'nonexistant' curve? Didn't Idaho follow the rest of the country?

The Governor did, he made a list of businesses that were essential and told everyone else they couldn't do business. Parts of Idaho followed the rest of the country, places like Blaine and Ada counties, the rest did not. My county still has no confirmed cases, but we were shut down like everyone else.

If someone wants to burn down their house to kill a spider that's their choice. Don't burn down my house because you found a spider in yours.

While I was in Arizona some dumb lady said she doesn't wear the mask because she'll end up with tan lines. San Antonio is at 50% for ICU beds.

... but you only have to wear them indoors, and in crowded outdoor places. My tan lines are very normal right now, and I've been masking.

I read an article somewhere about how people in South Korea are currently rebelling against the mask mandate because it's so hot and humid, and public health ministers are freaking out.

I laughed out loud when I heard that she was refusing to wear one in Walmart. Like it's a disguise lady. No one will know you're shopping at Walmart.

I do find it hard to wear when it is hot and humid. I'm looking for a light colored mask instead of a dark colored one to wear.

This whole ICU bed thing has been a shitshow. Just an absolute shitshow.

The Texas Medical Center (one of the largest in the country btw) here in Houston released a formal letter urging people to wear masks because ICUs were at like "95% capacity" and we were projected to be at "100% capacity" by that weekend. Well, then the governor and others threw massive hissy fits about it. So the TMC took like half of their data graphs off of their website (we were told later that it was to "fix them" to "correct confusion"). So half of the damn city FLIPPED RIGHT THE fuck OUT BECAUSE OMG WHAT ARE THEY HIDING!?! Then, TMC released a new statement to tell us that they're not running out of beds because they use a completely different definition of "capacity" than us plebeians. They're actually always at 80-90% "capacity", but they have like 3 different levels of "surge capacity" so really they can be at like "135% capacity". So then the other half of the damn city FLIPPED RIGHT THE fuck OUT because OMG DO YOU SEE HOW THE MEDIA IS ORCHESTRATING FEAR AND PANIC (for releasing the med center's own damn letter which the med center retracted literally the next day and then the media also had to retract)!?!?

So those few of us around who actually read news articles as opposed to sharing headlines and have something resembling critical thinking skills were just like "jesus ****ing christ what a shitshow", so half of the city then called us "snowflake libtards who are being controlled by the biased media" and the other half called us "illiterate Trumpkins who ignore science".

Have I told y'all lately that I just hate people and I'm ready to just watch the world burn?

I split the fake news posts off into a new thread, because I think that the topic is big enough to warrant it. Feel free to continue to talk about the specific issues here, but general fake news should go in that thread.

I do find it hard to wear when it is hot and humid. I'm looking for a light colored mask instead of a dark colored one to wear.

Do you sew? I have a dead simple pattern that I've been making with old t-shirts. White tees are easy to find.

I just spent today cutting maybe 10-12 masks and I didn't even sew one. I still need to do the bias tape for all of them, too. I don't understand these friends of mine who have made hundreds of masks. This shit takes forever. So far I've made 8 and its taken hours. Admittedly, I made 4 of the rectangular masks and decided to switch to the shaped masks because my glasses fogged so bad and the kids didn't like the rectangular ones, either. My friends are mostly making the rectangular ones. I finally found some simple ones in stock at Target, but the fun colors are out of stock so I decided to just make more with the material I have. Some lady put these crazy bright pillowcases on Buy Nothing, so I ripped one of them apart and cut about 6 masks out of it, with material to spare. They're much cuter as masks than they were as pillowcases.

I also don't understand people selling these things for $15 a pop like my ex-stepsister. Yeah she's a better seamstress than I am but goodness. Especially when I got the ones at Target for $2-3 a piece.

Anyway, point is that I decided I wanted each kid to have 5 masks so I can get better about washing them after each use. My son only wears his for doctor and therapy appointments, and my daughter only wears hers to walk onto the field for soccer practice (they let them take them off for actual practice). But if they ever get to go back to school, I need them to get through a school week before I do laundry. I had also been using shoelaces or ties as straps because of the elastic shortage, but a friend showed me how to cut up old leggings (my daughter goes through them like crazy and always busts a hole in the right knee) to make the ear straps (and it's much easier for them to just slip on and off now instead of asking me to tie it for them and re-tie it).

Our work place was shooting for a mid-August return and on Friday admitted that it probably won't be until October. Ha! Much as I am going nuts at home, wearing a mask all day and washing my hands until they bleed is not going to be fun, either.

I just spent today cutting maybe 10-12 masks and I didn't even sew one. I still need to do the bias tape for all of them, too. I don't understand these friends of mine who have made hundreds of masks. This **** takes forever. So far I've made 8 and its taken hours. Admittedly, I made 4 of the rectangular masks and decided to switch to the shaped masks because my glasses fogged so bad and the kids didn't like the rectangular ones, either. My friends are mostly making the rectangular ones. I finally found some simple ones in stock at Target, but the fun colors are out of stock so I decided to just make more with the material I have. Some lady put these crazy bright pillowcases on Buy Nothing, so I ripped one of them apart and cut about 6 masks out of it, with material to spare. They're much cuter as masks than they were as pillowcases.

I also don't understand people selling these things for $15 a pop like my ex-stepsister. Yeah she's a better seamstress than I am but goodness. Especially when I got the ones at Target for $2-3 a piece.

Anyway, point is that I decided I wanted each kid to have 5 masks so I can get better about washing them after each use. My son only wears his for doctor and therapy appointments, and my daughter only wears hers to walk onto the field for soccer practice (they let them take them off for actual practice). But if they ever get to go back to school, I need them to get through a school week before I do laundry. I had also been using shoelaces or ties as straps because of the elastic shortage, but a friend showed me how to cut up old leggings (my daughter goes through them like crazy and always busts a hole in the right knee) to make the ear straps (and it's much easier for them to just slip on and off now instead of asking me to tie it for them and re-tie it).

Our work place was shooting for a mid-August return and on Friday admitted that it probably won't be until October. Ha! Much as I am going nuts at home, wearing a mask all day and washing my hands until they bleed is not going to be fun, either.

ULA is having breakouts at all its offices; the Cape is being hit hard. They might have to push the next launch. The only office in ULA that is open at* all is here in Denver.

I swear to god I am so sick and tired of people at the store not wearing masks. It is like they are trying to make a statement. Knowing what we know, how is this not now like if you don't take your kid in to the doctor, and the kid dies, you are responsible. How is this not neglect?

Do you sew? I have a dead simple pattern that I've been making with old t-shirts. White tees are easy to find.

I am considering it if my family will ever give me a break. I'm currently reconfiguring my house to move Tina in and have to get rid of some stuff I've been procrastinating on LOL.

I just spent today cutting maybe 10-12 masks and I didn't even sew one. I still need to do the bias tape for all of them, too. I don't understand these friends of mine who have made hundreds of masks. This **** takes forever. So far I've made 8 and its taken hours. Admittedly, I made 4 of the rectangular masks and decided to switch to the shaped masks because my glasses fogged so bad and the kids didn't like the rectangular ones, either. My friends are mostly making the rectangular ones. I finally found some simple ones in stock at Target, but the fun colors are out of stock so I decided to just make more with the material I have. Some lady put these crazy bright pillowcases on Buy Nothing, so I ripped one of them apart and cut about 6 masks out of it, with material to spare. They're much cuter as masks than they were as pillowcases.

HA! I wanted the cute pink ones that were two for four dollars at Target. They sold out of that. So I have dark blue ones I wear at my second job. We have to wear masks even on the phones now and 12 feet apart in our own office cubicles that have 6 foot high partitions. And we have to sanitize our desks before we leave and other items we touched. We're next to six flags over texas and Friday they opened up and I had fireworks blasting off while I was talking to the customer on the phone.

USAA offices in San Antonio have already committed to not opening until some time in 2021. Traffic has been AWESOME. I'm still waiting to see what happens with school. They're having new meetings in the face of the spike especially since it's younger people being affected in this current spike.

T-shirts for the straps! Even if you make the rest of the mask out of cotton broadcloth or whatever, t-shirts make awesome straps. I've attached a picture of how I tie mine, I can't handle the behind-the-ear style, it hurts too much for me to wear longer than about 15 minutes, so I do it this way and loop it behind my head (the knot is the bottom strap).

I cut the bottom hem off the t-shirt (I've only used L and XL shirts so far), cut the remaining bottom off in 3 1" strips, and then use the rest of the shirt to make the masks, but you could also just make it a crop top. I cut the seams off the ends and give each strip a stretch to curl the fabric up, and have six straps that fit an adult head perfectly. They're really stretchy, too, so they're easy to pull down around your neck and then back up again. You can do the ear loop style, too, just cut the strips at about 1/2" and then cut them to size to make the loops.

Also, I've been making mask deodorant for unavoidable reuse, and frankly, just whenever I put on a mask. I scrounged a bunch of 3oz fine mist spray bottles and filled them each with 20 drops lavender essential oil, 20 drops eucalyptus, 20 drops tea tree, and 6 drops clove (it smells like clove. That is how pungent clove oil is. But it's also strongly anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-viral, and it smells good, soooo...), 2ml liquid colloidal silver, and top it off with cheap vodka. Couple of spritzes on the mask, no more halitosis smell, no more maskne. If your kids can't handle scents near their face, you can buy liquid colloidal silver already packaged in mist bottles. I've developed a following in the bank branch where my brother's girlfriend works for this.

And yeah. I took a break after my 40th mask, and the break hasn't ended yet. Meanwhile, my sister's boyfriend is still waiting for his masks, poor guy...

Mask1.jpg

T-shirts for the straps! Even if you make the rest of the mask out of cotton broadcloth or whatever, t-shirts make awesome straps. I've attached a picture of how I tie mine, I can't handle the behind-the-ear style, it hurts too much for me to wear longer than about 15 minutes, so I do it this way and loop it behind my head (the knot is the bottom strap).

I cut the bottom hem off the t-shirt (I've only used L and XL shirts so far), cut the remaining bottom off in 3 1" strips, and then use the rest of the shirt to make the masks, but you could also just make it a crop top. I cut the seams off the ends and give each strip a stretch to curl the fabric up, and have six straps that fit an adult head perfectly. They're really stretchy, too, so they're easy to pull down around your neck and then back up again. You can do the ear loop style, too, just cut the strips at about 1/2" and then cut them to size to make the loops.

Also, I've been making mask deodorant for unavoidable reuse, and frankly, just whenever I put on a mask. I scrounged a bunch of 3oz fine mist spray bottles and filled them each with 20 drops lavender essential oil, 20 drops eucalyptus, 20 drops tea tree, and 6 drops clove (it smells like clove. That is how pungent clove oil is. But it's also strongly anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-viral, and it smells good, soooo...), 2ml liquid colloidal silver, and top it off with cheap vodka. Couple of spritzes on the mask, no more halitosis smell, no more maskne. If your kids can't handle scents near their face, you can buy liquid colloidal silver already packaged in mist bottles. I've developed a following in the bank branch where my brother's girlfriend works for this.

And yeah. I took a break after my 40th mask, and the break hasn't ended yet. Meanwhile, my sister's boyfriend is still waiting for his masks, poor guy...

Send me a bottle!

The PPP turned into a major issue at the place I work this morning. When the Governor issued his shutdown order my employer decided we were an essential business because a small fraction of our work is for the food industry, we spent most of the time building aftermarket parts for snow machines. This morning a coworker passed around a news article showing that they received $300,000 from the program. We're about to have our own riot.

I just got back from Walmart, day one of Michigan's Mask Mandate - most people are wearing them with their noses sticking out, and people were bitching about it in the parking lot, but no violence. Anyway, Hanes is making masks now that look like Tighty Whities for the face... but you know they'll be light and breathe-able, and they come in a big pack for cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.