You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

This hysteria is the same as it always is: a legitimate concern that the state plays up in order to amass more more from your fears, which you will gladly give them. That, and keeping you distracted from nefarious things they are doing. Ever notice how a wildly unpopular bill is always passed when there's a tragedy taking place, like the Boston Bombing?

What would "The State" have to gain from playing this up? And who are you referring to when you say The State? I don't doubt anyone in government isn't keen on taking advantage of our inattention during this charge that all government is playing this up borders on conspiracy theory to me

I didnt make the numbers up. I saw them in a news story here. Think it was Sky News or something

well, then they must be accurate....or something
Actually, yeah those numbers are fairly accurate. I have looked through a variety of sources and the numbers are fairly similar. Obviously the mortality rate % increases with age and people in other categories for pre existing health problems.

The only country with truly accurate numbers however is south Korea where they tested around 3000 people a day. Their mortality rate was at 0.6%. however they have considerably more hospital beds per capita than most other nations.

In the UK mortality is around 1% I believe, however we stopped counting how many people actually had the virus at 1300 people approximately. There are probably ten times the amount of that with the virus, yet the mortality is still the same, so it is again considerably lower than 1% unless you fall into the age/pre existing health concern categories. Like, if you have cancer, are a smoker, have cardiovascular problems or are obese.

And that's what's being done. If some guy wants to go to his local dive bar or diner for a drink or some lunch then he should be able to. That person knows the risk. Odds are there will be a considerably less people there than there is at Walmart, Target, or whatever supermarket they go to. When State governments start closing those then all is fair imo. Yes one is more essential than the other.

All the times I have wondered how you could be a Trump supporter, this actually puts it into context for me pretty well.

August is pessimistic as most of the modelling I've seen is based on restrictions lasting for 12 weeks. Three weeks is optimistic.

I've been reading this report from Imperial College London - link to .pdf - graph on page 8 is worth looking at.

UK centred, but some overlap with the US.

(rest of their publications - link)

Don't expect this to be over quickly.

Along with dine-in restaurants, they closed down gyms, theatres, etc here in Colorado for 30 days. Ski resorts are closed for the week....and I doubt they will reopen. Honestly, I am so grateful that I have a job that will pay me to sit at home and my wife can work from home.

Speaking of which, my wife has lobbied for years to make her job at least part time work from home. Her job (she works for a rocket company) says its impossible and said it is ESSENTIAL she go to Florida for her launch (not that is a bad thing) later this month. She is now working from home indefinetly and was actually told she was now a non-essential lauch employee and can work the launch from home. I just think of the personal impact (time saved, gas, less traffic congestion, etc) and the environmental impact of that decision times millions.

Ugh the aerospace industry is stuck in the Jurassic era. I live 11 miles from work, which isn't that terrible, a 20 minute commute unless there's an accident or something. But because they insist EVERYONE has to be there EVERY DAY, parking and walking/taking a bus is a 20-30 minute ordeal. What a waste of my life.

That said, they let most of the non-Manufacturing support work from home for the last week. The company hasn't collapsed! Manufacturing is still pissed about being there because there's several cases and a bunch of people in quarantine from exposure, but they're still expected to work. Its lovely.

Try working in public transit during this, folks.

Good news is, it's quiet this week because the schools closing - surprised the hell out of me - and the mayor urging people to work from home if they can.

Bad news is that between that and the fact that I'm the guy that generally hits the supermarkets in this household, my immune system will soon be put to the test. The way I see it, I WILL get this bug sooner or later. Since I'm basically captain Sinusitis already, I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

If I do get it, I have a short term disability plan at work so I'll be fine that way. The wife and the mother will absolutely s**t themselves though. They'll never forgive me. They're both disabled hypochondriacs and as for as they're concerned, I'm Superman and Superman is not allowed to get sick, tired, run down, have a bad day or otherwise convey weakness in any way, shape or form. It scares them to the point of extreme anxiety attacks.

Try working in grocery. All of the stores in our region are up 85% over the last week. That's unheard of. It's similar to a hurricane, except the hurricanes will actual hit at some point. There is no landfall so we're just racing along.

Right now the biggest problem is getting product to the distribution centers. There aren't enough truck drivers. We've had to prioritize non essentials to make room in the warehouse for the essentials.

My cousin, who is a truck driver, is loving it because he can do a lot of shorter runs right now instead of hauling all across the country and still make the same if not more.

Ugh the aerospace industry is stuck in the Jurassic era. I live 11 miles from work, which isn't that terrible, a 20 minute commute unless there's an accident or something. But because they insist EVERYONE has to be there EVERY DAY, parking and walking/taking a bus is a 20-30 minute ordeal. What a waste of my life.

That said, they let most of the non-Manufacturing support work from home for the last week. The company hasn't collapsed! Manufacturing is still pissed about being there because there's several cases and a bunch of people in quarantine from exposure, but they're still expected to work. Its lovely.

Yeah, every time I go to the holiday party or whatever work related event I get blown away that 90% of the employees are old, white guys. They (ULA) got called out for not having a woman in any type of senior leadership position and the best the CEO could do was to name the HR assistant director or something like that.

My CEO basically just said they're not sending us to work from home until they're absolutely forced to. Meanwhile, he and the other company C's are all working from home. Must be nice!

Shit....if that ain't America I don't know what is.

Yeah, every time I go to the holiday party or whatever work related event I get blown away that 90% of the employees are old, white guys.
AND NONE OF THEM WILL RETIRE. Seriously, we are going to have to wheel the Boomers out on gurneys.

This hysteria is the same as it always is: a legitimate concern that the state plays up in order to amass more more from your fears, which you will gladly give them. That, and keeping you distracted from nefarious things they are doing. Ever notice how a wildly unpopular bill is always passed when there's a tragedy taking place, like the Boston Bombing?

What would "The State" have to gain from playing this up? And who are you referring to when you say The State? I don't doubt anyone in government isn't keen on taking advantage of our inattention during this charge that all government is playing this up borders on conspiracy theory to me

Who is the state? I'd suggest starting here:

A conspiracy theory refers to something that is unseen by the public. What I am talking about is plainly seen, not hidden. Therefore, by definition, it is not conspiracy. You don't need a conspiracy theory to notice these things. When the Tree of Life tragedy broke out here in Pittsburgh, the governor of my state, that scumbag Tom Wolf, immediately turned it into a political platform, calling for gun control while the bodies were still warm. Former President Obama also tweeted to that effect. Regardless of how you feel about gun control, any person with a conscience would know that that was was a thoroughly inappropriate time to start campaigning for a cause. Acknowledge the tragedy and talk about the politics of it later. The Boston Bombing is another example I mentioned.

Also, you'll notice that I did say this was a legitimate concern. In other words, what is happening is real. It's not made up. Government loves cases like that. They have science to back them, but they bolster the hysteria to grab control over more liberties. Two states are attempting to ban the sale of firearms, which has nothing to do with the virus (aside from defending one's home and family against an intrusive government, in which case it makes sense). Others are trying to close churches, which violates the First Amendment. It's a complicated matter that demands discernment, not blind compliance either way.

"A conspiracy theory refers to something that is unseen by the public. What I am talking about is plainly seen, not hidden. Therefore, by definition, it is not conspiracy."

FFS-it's a figure of speech, you can't dissect and call it wrong just because the definitions of the individual words don't function a the phrase does.

"You don't need a conspiracy theory to notice these things. When the Tree of Life tragedy broke out here in Pittsburgh, the governor of my state, that scumbag Tom Wolf, immediately turned it into a political platform, calling for gun control while the bodies were still warm. Former President Obama also tweeted to that effect. Regardless of how you feel about gun control, any person with a conscience would know that that was was a thoroughly inappropriate time to start campaigning for a cause. Acknowledge the tragedy and talk about the politics of it later. The Boston Bombing is another example I mentioned."

I see a huge difference in a concerted, co-ordinated effort and a few politicians trying to capitalize on a current feeling. These are the latter.

'Also, you'll notice that I did say this was a legitimate concern. In other words, what is happening is real. It's not made up. Government loves cases like that. They have science to back them, but they bolster the hysteria to grab control over more liberties.'

You still end up at a conspriracy theory, though.

'Two states are attempting to ban the sale of firearms, which has nothing to do with the virus (aside from defending one's home and family against an intrusive government, in which case it makes sense). Others are trying to close churches, which violates the First Amendment. It's a complicated matter that demands discernment, not blind compliance either way.'

Agree on the resisting blind compliance, but since we agree the health threat is real, doesn't that dictate what we do?

I find this a conspiracy theory because it's a supposition in search of evidence-not something amiss that's unexplained. Which two states are trying to ban the sale of firearms?

'Others are trying to close churches, which violates the First Amendment.' Does the temporary lockdown on the physical building violate it? I don't think it does. "the Church", I was just schooled in this a couple days ago-is not the building but the congregation and if they can meet and discuss anything they wish, only restricted by what is clearly good public health policy, would that stand up in court? My guess is no.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.