You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

Guys, my school is giving extended spring break to the kids but I still have to go in and work.... not fair.

In other news Trump mentioned pay for people impacted by the virus. It better be good. This impacts way more than people think. And I think Trump thumping himself on the back and saying what a great job he's doing is wrong.

I think its cool that some NBA and MLB players are donating to pay workers who would normally be working the stands and stuff if games were not canceled.

That sucks. I am off and so are teachers. Only district people have to work. What are they making you do?

Clean and disinfect my classroom and prepare school work packets in case the week off gets extended to send home and man the phones to help people with questions. That's what the email asked me to do I received. Only about 68% of my students have computers or internet. They do have cell phones but we can't do the teleteaching thing like richer school districts. Currently we're getting calls about what their kids can do for food and how far is this going to set the kids back for into the summer school is what a secretary said. We are 90% kids on lunch programs. So parents are worried what their kids will do to eat. I'm a lead teacher this year so I am kinda support staffish I guess.

In other news people have lost their frickin minds. All the grocery stores are cleaned out and can't stock up as quickly so Walmart and HEB (a local chain I love) are open 8 AM to 8 PM so they can restock again. This morning the small HEB store from my house had 300 people waiting in line for the doors to open at 8 AM and all the meat, paper products, milk, eggs, tuna, rice, bread and water were gone in 30 minutes. They're even limiting medications you get over the counter. One bottle of pain meds or sinus meds you get OTC. Two packages of toilet paper. One thing of paper towels. One bag of rice. It's not the apocalypse or a weather related event like a hurricane. It's a flu. And stores will be open but people act like the stores will never open again.

Last night at Walmart they were cleaned out of paper products so baby wipes are gone because people are getting that now to wipe. I can't wait for all the plumbers calls because it clogged the toilet because the same dumb people will flush them. And while I waited to pay for my cat food and toothpastes my 24 hour Walmart announced it was closing at 10 PM.

I was getting in my car to go home with my weirdo bread loaf (some kind of wheat bread sold by Orowheat because the guy was stocking it), off brand toilet paper, coffee creamer and off brand dishsoap that has a scent called sage, some woman was using a wipe to clean her own car door handle to open and get into the car and then she threw the wipe in the parking lot. I can't even with people right now. First of all people who ride in your car are you so only you touch your car and then you litter? This proves we got the president we deserve.

I always go to the store late at night to avoid crowds. I hate all the jerks clearing out the beans because I love beans and we eat them regularly. Last night I was annoyed at the lack of beans and happened upon a somewhat hidden shelf of refried beans. I thought oh hey we could do that. The first one I picked up expired in 2017. The second one was 2019. I finally found a 2021 one. God I hate Safeway. There was also no half & half except nonfat (whut), so I got some creamer that didn't look like too much of a sugar bomb. And, of course, beer, because my husband thinks 175 bottles of wine isn't enough? And apple pie for pi day.

The produce section was beautiful, it looked like no one had touched it. Got some awesome asparagus and kale. Is everyone going to live on beans and toliet paper?

My wife text me that earlier. I understand the cautions taken. While I'm not a bar hopper or a frequent restaurant patron, part of me wonders if we should let the public decide. I think a lot of people are taking this seriously and are trying to keep their public gatherings to the bare minimum. I guess I like having the option even if I'm not going to use it.

People are by and large, stupid. As much as I hate our federal government, States and cities rolling out local guidelines for safety is fine. Given that we've learned you can spread it and be asymptomatic we kinda HAVE to do this-- and I think there's always people who think they are above rules, too good for them, or are yokels that don't like the gubment tellin them their bizness.

I'd like to think we're all responsible and smart, but we aren't.

The stay at home moms are all planning playdates. I see my Instagram mom friends posting pictures of menus. I'm about to unfriend all of them.

I took my daughter for a bike ride while I ran alongside her today. We might do a hike next weekend. We are going to have to get out of the house without visiting super public places. May do some soccer practice at the park tomorrow (no playground, just an open field).

I really want to take the kids to Florida in 2 weeks. But I also dont want to risk bringing it to my mother-in-law because she gets sick super easily and apparently has diminished lung capacity. I need a bubble for the airplane.

You like having the option of potentially spreading a disease that's given you no symptoms and therefore no reason to believe you have, to a person who's at high risk of death if they catch it?

Most people are taking this seriously and are doing the right thing. Avoiding large groups. Keeping a distance with people they interact with. Does closing a restaurant, yet allowing them to have take out or deliver lessen the threat? Maybe. Unless you're straight up bubble boying it, you're probably still going places that even with minimal contact you can catch something. So when are you going to feel comfortable going out to load up on toilet paper? When there is a vaccine made available?

And that's what's being done. If some guy wants to go to his local dive bar or diner for a drink or some lunch then he should be able to. That person knows the risk. Odds are there will be a considerably less people there than there is at Walmart, Target, or whatever supermarket they go to. When State governments start closing those then all is fair imo. Yes one is more essential than the other.

Are we little kids that are going to cry about what's fair?

If the guy who wants to go to the bar was the person who would suffer, and him alone, I would agree. But that's not the case, it makes everyone else suffer, ensures the healthcare system will be overrun, and that people will die. And people won't just die directly from the virus, but because of the system being crowded due to the virus.

Closing things slows the transmission and allows hospitals to be treat people over an extended period of time instead of everyone getting sick at once.

And none of this is hypothetical. Look at Italy. That's going to happen here, too, where entire states are.overrun and doctors will have to choose who dies. That's why we're shutting down now, because it's either now or later and doing it now saves way more lives.

I was thinking a big thing to invent right now would be a special door opener type handle. You carry it around and use it to turn knobs and push or pull the door open. At school there's always someone right behind a windowless door trying to get out and I would have five feet of space between them and their hot mess of sick before they ram into me on their way to the bathroom.

This is why I wear loose shirts

People are going a little bat **** about this. Less than 1% of people with Corona virus die. And of that 1% 80% are the elderly or those with immunodeficiency issues.

This is the biggest over hype since bird flu. Or SARS. Both of which were more dangerous than coronavirus. The only thing is this thing seems to spread pretty easy, bit it's basically just the flu.

DISAGREE. It's pretty contagious and pretty awful for anyone with a compromised immune system. This is the first highly contagious, antibiotic-resistant virus that went unaddressed for 6 weeks we've seen in our lifetimes, isn't it? And it is NOT 'just like the flu"-that's something Trump spewed.

None of this is hype, let alone "over - hype". We still don't know everything about this virus, so it would be fatally irresponsible of the medical community and media to NOT address it as they are now. Do you understand how many news reports or just mere mentions it takes to reach *every* US citizen? Then, how many more it takes to get the *correct, complete* information out? We have no idea yet if this is more or less deadly than H1-N1 or SARS. It could take up to year to create a vaccine, FFS. The incubation period without symptoms is twice that of the other viruses and the period of being contagious is 2-3 times as long so there are still thousands who have been doing business as usual, infected and spreading it who haven't even shown symptoms yet. You cannot make statements like these you'd made and be at all credible until at least Spring 2021.

This hysteria is the same as it always is: a legitimate concern that the state plays up in order to amass more more from your fears, which you will gladly give them. That, and keeping you distracted from nefarious things they are doing. Ever notice how a wildly unpopular bill is always passed when there's a tragedy taking place, like the Boston Bombing?

What would "The State" have to gain from playing this up? And who are you referring to when you say The State? I don't doubt anyone in government isn't keen on taking advantage of our inattention during this charge that all government is playing this up borders on conspiracy theory to me

I didnt make the numbers up. I saw them in a news story here. Think it was Sky News or something

well, then they must be accurate....or something

People are going a little bat **** about this. Less than 1% of people with Corona virus die. And of that 1% 80% are the elderly or those with immunodeficiency issues.

This is the biggest over hype since bird flu. Or SARS. Both of which were more dangerous than coronavirus. The only thing is this thing seems to spread pretty easy, bit it's basically just the flu.

DISAGREE. It's pretty contagious and pretty awful for anyone with a compromised immune system. This is the first highly contagious, antibiotic-resistant virus that went unaddressed for 6 weeks we've seen in our lifetimes, isn't it? And it is NOT 'just like the flu"-that's something Trump spewed.

None of this is hype, let alone "over - hype". We still don't know everything about this virus, so it would be fatally irresponsible of the medical community and media to NOT address it as they are now. Do you understand how many news reports or just mere mentions it takes to reach *every* US citizen? Then, how many more it takes to get the *correct, complete* information out? We have no idea yet if this is more or less deadly than H1-N1 or SARS. It could take up to year to create a vaccine, FFS. The incubation period without symptoms is twice that of the other viruses and the period of being contagious is 2-3 times as long so there are still thousands who have been doing business as usual, infected and spreading it who haven't even shown symptoms yet. You cannot make statements like these you'd made and be at all credible until at least Spring 2021.

Calm down I wrote that weeks ago before it even spread to Europe properly, and before I read into Covid 19 in detail.

I still don't think it's as apocalyptic as people are treating it however it's not as light as I was treating it in that post either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.