You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

Thursday the city of Tampa will be meeting to discuss cancelling or postponing large events. That includes WrestleMania 36 in a few weeks. As much as I'm looking forward to Mania, I can't help but think about the people that come from all over. Do I want to risk, however small that risk is, coming into contact with someone who is sick and doesn't know it? It's a small party of the reason I haven't purchased my tickets yet.

Oh yeah. Never underestimate the dumb that can come from people's mouths. I believe Krawlie caught me in one just a few posts before it. EL OH EL. I was just trying to say that compared to other illnesses like say zika or ebola that covid-19 has really mild symptoms for healthy people.

Today I had to deal with a bunch of parents refusing to let their kids come to school because the Coronavirus is spread over wifi and a nearby cell phone tower.

Whut

Oh yeah...I might start a thread on the dumb shit I have to deal with on a ****ing regular. These parents started a thread about me on a private FB book saying I don't care about the Coronavirus and student health. They left out their whole crazy including that I don't care because I am not turning off the school's wifi and a local cell phone tower ("Ummm, hi, Verizon, can you turn off your wifi tower its giving my students the Coronavirus".

Reminds me of the time that I had a mom go to the media for suspending her 8th grade daughter for giving another student Tylenol. She left out the fact that her daughter ground up the Tylenol and was passing it off as cocaine and selling it. I legally cannot say anything.

Just keep this in mind whenever you hear some crazy story on the news about a school principal making some dumb decision (that being said,

Look in some public school districts you get paid by the state for the student that SHOWS up...It's all about heads and seats. I don't want your kid absent but also do not want a huge distraction that keeps your kids from actually learning. I've had to say this the politest way I can.

They just announced my son's school district is closing for 2 weeks starting Monday. My daughter's private school is pretending all is well, but they have a teacher training day Friday, so I fully expect tomorrow night they will announce the same. They just don't want the kids to be crazy jerks tomorrow.

I went and bought my daughter a chromebook because they said they have been preparing for quality at home learning. Really I would be cool with them having school until July.

Soccer is also suspended for 2 weeks, which I am not sad about because my daughter is suffering from burnout anyway.

They canceled the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo today (yesterday actually). That's a huge deal here. So many local vendors make a significant portion of their yearly sales during these 3 weeks. Plus, now a bunch of high school kids are left with livestock that they intended to sell. Just sucks all around. :(

I fully expect our school district to close next week. We're on Spring Break this week. The number of people panicking about having their children home another week quite frankly makes me question humanity. I mean, I understand the issues of not having child care or suddenly having to feed them, but most of the people around here seem to be in the "omg how am I going to tolerate them for another week" camp. :rolleyes:

Those people who feel that way about their kids are not ACTUALLY engaged with them or really have crappy jobs they hate and need those few hours to not do something. Here in San Antonio they may cancel Fiesta. If that happens a LOT of people planning to get drunk in public will be as disappointed as NBA fans. In other news our school district keeps on marching with orders to clean and clean and not touch people.

My university finally announced this morning that we will cancel classes for a week after spring break, which is next week, and move to online classes until further notice after that, just like a lot of other universities are doing. We don't have any confirmed cases of the virus in our area yet, so I think they were waiting to see what some of the other big state schools were going to do first. Fortunately, UT came out with their plan last night, which likely made them feel comfortable to do this, too.

My wife's family already went through all of this in China. Her parents had to basically stay home for two months, with some short trips out to the countryside and the grocery store on occasions. It seems like the precautions China took, while drastic, helped mitigate the problems outside of Hubei province. Unfortunately, so many people here are not taking it seriously and are aghast that measures are being taken to curtail the spread of the disease because it is keeping them from entertainment and business as usual.

I know that I am very fortunate to be in a job where working almost entirely from home for the duration of this outbreak is possible and it is made easier by us not having kids yet, but I hope that people start waking up to the idea that changing things for a little while could help make us all much more safe going forward.

Our Nephew on my wife's side of the family quit his job at a local gym, after hearing about cases of the virus being in the Oregon area. WTF?!

Your nephew made a wise move. Some time ago, I built a home gym because I was disgusted at the habits of a good number of people at the gym where I had a membership (pulling, scratching, wiping, sneezing and never covering their faces, and next to never using the hand sanitizer dispensers). I did not care to complain to management, because in they would do the expected: promise that the equipment is thoroughly cleaned (it was not) and beg me to keep renewing the membership. Screw that. Too many people have no home training whatsoever and are just plain nasty when it comes to basic hygiene. It is no wonder disease (of many kinds) spread so quickly in this society.

Ohio:

State employees will be working from home if possible

No visitors to nursing homes, psychiatric hospitals, or prisons

Schools on a 3 week break, possibly longer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.