You got some of those virusesses?

Ms. Spam

So apparently my city is in super freak out mode and suing the CDC because they were going to drop those quarantined patients off at North Star Mall and wish them good luck you're close the airport.

SouthbySouthwest is shut down.

If you got a ticket to the Final Four would you go?

I'm practically in Ground Zero. The first case in the US was in our county and now a family at my son's school has contracted it. My company is actually letting all of the non-manufacturing workers work from home, which is pretty insane for our workaholic company. I am super glad because jerks come to work sick all the time and cough all over everything, and I was sick of constantly washing my hands because there are so many freaking doors in my building. We are really trying to limit social contact like the health department has asked. I am not so afraid of getting it as I am infecting high risk people. That situation with the nursing home nearby is just awful. I am actually getting pretty annoyed with how many people are flat out ignoring the request to stay home as much as possible. This is why this stuff is going to keep spreading. And we are going to explode in case this week because they finally started testing more, and it's going to be much more prevalent than they thought. It's pretty much going to take martial law to keep all of these privileged ***holes home.

Honestly, I think my husband may have had it back in January when they thought it was contained (but obviously wasn't). He came down with a horrible fever that lasted 3 days, had the chills so bad that it was like a seizure, and turned into pneumonia. He said it was the sickest he's ever been. But we didn't get it because he quarantined himself in our spare room and we are pretty nutty about handwashing and we spent a lot of time at home that week, obviously.

I was thinking a big thing to invent right now would be a special door opener type handle. You carry it around and use it to turn knobs and push or pull the door open. At school there's always someone right behind a windowless door trying to get out and I would have five feet of space between them and their hot mess of sick before they ram into me on their way to the bathroom.

I've legit considered bringing latex gloves to wear when walking around the building because of the number of doors and the number of men I've seen not wash their hands or wash them ineffectively. Right now sticking with the huge bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk.

We had an agency-wide remote work day this past Friday as a test run. I was off that day anyways at MSFC, but I think we're going to be doing our own test day before too long. Ames in SF had to shut down today because one person had it. It doesn't bode well because tons of people had been traveling from center to center up until a week or so.

As far as the virus itself goes, I'm not personally that worried about it. I think it's worth taking seriously and worth changing some habits, but I'm not anywhere near ready to doomsday prep just yet. For me personally, I'm a little concerned that some big events I'd been planning on going to might be called off. But not going to Bonnaroo or wherever else wouldn't be the end of the world. There's other fun stuff to do.

Meanwhile, in the Midwest, no one gives a damn. Not a single person Ive encountered is concerned, and no one has mentioned any kind of closures or work from home prep.

Gonna be real fun if I get it, since I drained my PTO bank with a bout of influenza B back in January, and Im not going to get any more until July.

People are going a little bat shit about this. Less than 1% of people with Corona virus die. And of that 1% 80% are the elderly or those with immunodeficiency issues.

This is the biggest over hype since bird flu. Or SARS. Both of which were more dangerous than coronavirus. The only thing is this thing seems to spread pretty easy, bit it's basically just the flu.

People are going a little bat **** about this. Less than 1% of people with Corona virus die. And of that 1% 80% are the elderly or those with immunodeficiency issues.

This is the biggest over hype since bird flu. Or SARS. Both of which were more dangerous than coronavirus. The only thing is this thing seems to spread pretty easy, bit it's basically just the flu.

The World Health Organization disagrees with your numbers, in terms of fatality rates. Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but both WHO and the US CDC have higher fatality rates than what you're claiming.

It's def true that the elderly are mostly at risk, but that's true of just about any cause of death. Old people die.

But considering two members of my family almost died (myself and my one year old) in the past year, and I'm okay with taking reasonable precautions. But most of what I'm doing is also what I would be doing regardless, except for stockpiling a few things in case of a quarantine. But they're all things that we'll use, and it never hurts to have extra diapers and toilet paper. Especially when thr four year old has been known to use an entire roll of TP in one visit to the toilet.

People are going a little bat **** about this. Less than 1% of people with Corona virus die. And of that 1% 80% are the elderly or those with immunodeficiency issues.

The World Health Organization disagrees with your numbers, in terms of fatality rates. Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but both WHO and the US CDC have higher fatality rates than what you're claiming.
Conventional wisdom tells you that the death rate is probably lower because there are more people that have had the disease that we don't know about. The only thing we do know is that we just don't know. This probably started long before being reported. It seems that those that die are elderly or have some other condition the virus exacerbated. The CDC and WHO can only report on what they have info on. Again we just don't know.

Conventional wisdom tells you that the death rate is probably lower because there are more people that have had the disease that we don't know about. The only thing we do know is that we just don't know. This probably started long before being reported. It seems that those that die are elderly or have some other condition the virus exacerbated. The CDC and WHO can only report on what they have info on. Again we just don't know.

I get that, but at the same time we can't just make numbers up. It's possible the number is less than 1%, but given that the best sources are currently saying it's higher means that saying it's 3 percentage points lower than WHO is saying doesn't make sense. That's just making stuff up.

It's def true that the elderly are mostly at risk, but that's true of just about any cause of death. Old people die.

But considering two members of my family almost died (myself and my one year old) in the past year, and I'm okay with taking reasonable precautions. But most of what I'm doing is also what I would be doing regardless, except for stockpiling a few things in case of a quarantine. But they're all things that we'll use, and it never hurts to have extra diapers and toilet paper. Especially when thr four year old has been known to use an entire roll of TP in one visit to the toilet.

I mean, yeah I can understand where you are coming from, given your last year health wise. And yeah, people should definitely be careful with their hygiene... but we should be vigilant with that stuff anyway.

What I was referring to is people here (in the UK) are going nuts panic-buying toilet paper and canned goods from supermarkets cause they think a pandemic is on the way.

What I was referring to is people here (in the UK) are going nuts panic-buying toilet paper and canned goods from supermarkets cause they think a pandemic is on the way.

Australia:

- Someone got tasered trying to buy more toilet paper than allowed

- A woman had a knife pulled on her because she got the last packet

Then this:

I didnt make the numbers up. I saw them in a news story here. Think it was Sky News or something

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were making it up, but that the source was. There are plenty of examples of different media sources, and politicians, going with numbers that "feel right" instead of actual science.

I also needed a respirator mask for some home repairs (grinding the cement basement floor) and I could only find one store in Columbus or the suburbs that had them in stock. I'm more worried about being quarantined than getting sick, and the masks aren't going to really do anything. And I'm not even talking masks designed even remotely for medical reasons.

This hysteria is the same as it always is: a legitimate concern that the state plays up in order to amass more more from your fears, which you will gladly give them. That, and keeping you distracted from nefarious things they are doing. Ever notice how a wildly unpopular bill is always passed when there's a tragedy taking place, like the Boston Bombing?

I generally do not panic or freak out easily. That said I DO have allergies so I touch my eyes 3000 times a day, and if i DO get it, I'd be at risk because I have asthma.

Aside from the allergies though, I rarely get actually sick. Maybe a cold once a year, and the flu every couple years.

I just don't like how you feel when you have the flu. But from what I heard most healthy people who get it just get mild flu symptoms. So I could see it being under reported. Or even people thinking nah, I don't have it. It's just that shrimp alfredo I warmed up last night and by then it's too late and it's gone on to its next victim.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.