Old person grumpiness...

Darth Ender

I am starting to get grumpy and visibly upset about shit that in no way impacts me and even makes some situations outright better just because it is change. Today was a breaking point for this realization.

First, I need to call myself out that this is the most first world, privileged, entitled, "woe is me" bullshit I have ever thought. I am embarrassed for myself for thinking this.

Skiing (snow) is my favorite thing to do. I was a ski bum for a few years after graduating college. When I die, I want to be buried on the backside of a ski resort. It pisses me off I will probably need to be cremated for this to happen (that isn't what this is about but add it to the list).

Anywho, my favorite Denver-area ski resort is Copper Mountain. I go nearly every weekend in the winter. They were recently bought out by Aspen resorts and the last few years have been slowly upgrading their facilities (renovating buildings, putting in a gondola, building up the village, putting in a mountain coaster, holding special events, etc). Some of this is fine because I know how to avoid them. Other things, I think are kinda cool like having summer and fall events like the macaroni and cheese competition, fall ciderfest, etc.

There is a bar there called JJs Tavern. It has a very rustic, mountain cabiny feel (as much as one can have at a resort). Supposedly a part of the actual bar was part of bar recovered from an area mining town's bar from the 1800s. Since I have been skiing Copper (20 years) I have gone to JJs. Everytime I take a piss in the bathrooms next to JJs Tavern because there are pictures of (supposedly) said bar and mountain town blown up into to 3'x4' poster. I look at these goddamn pictures every time I go because I like all that old timey photo shit. These mother fuckers at Copper took these down and put up some stupid-ass looking pictures of ski racing.

What is stupid shit like this that annoys you?

Any time that they rearrange the grocery store I feel annoyed on this level.

Or Target. Our Target recently did a big upgrade and renovation so most of the departments have more of a department store feel with display vignettes and stuff. But now I can't find shit. It took me like 10 minutes to find my face wash the other day!

Any time that they rearrange the grocery store I feel annoyed on this level.

Or Target. Our Target recently did a big upgrade and renovation so most of the departments have more of a department store feel with display vignettes and stuff. But now I can't find ****. It took me like 10 minutes to find my face wash the other day!

Yes! So is our Target. Groceries were put all over the store. I just needed cereal and found it in the auto section.

• 2 weeks later...

My patience with people is tested. TESTED. I think I use it up with the students and by the time I get out in public I get super irritated with slow things like people who stop in the middle of a sidewalk and block it up talking in a bunch or people who are lazy and leave carts all half assed in the parking lot instead of walking them ten feet to a corral or leave trash on a table because it's the "kids job" to buss the table. Be a human. Not a dick.

Traffic. Traffic signals especially. Any time I have to stop any vehicle I'm driving for any reason, I immediately begin thinking about what a bunch of complete idiots the municipal government is. I'm not entirely wrong, but I think you get the point. Especially when they tear up the roads for no reason, which I'm quite convinced they do all the time.

People who drive down the center turn lane. You know, the lane that can be used for people going in any direction? Get over when you're ready to turn, not four blocks ahead.

People who do that are the worst people.

My patience with people is tested. TESTED. I think I use it up with the students and by the time I get out in public I get super irritated with slow things like people who stop in the middle of a sidewalk and block it up talking in a bunch or people who are lazy and leave carts all half assed in the parking lot instead of walking them ten feet to a corral or leave trash on a table because it's the "kids job" to buss the table. Be a human. Not a dick.

I think I use up all my patience at work with jerks and people who can't adult so I'm pretty grumpy by the time I get home.

Also slow drivers. I canna even.

Electric rental scooters are my biggest gripe about traffic here. People in general don't know how to drive cars, but I am used to that everywhere. The scooters are just a menace. They aren't all over the city here, just mainly around campus, but I hate them so much, both when I walk around and have to drive to/from my parking spot.

The scooters in downtown areas make me think of when I was a kid and my mom would scream at me, "Wait 'til your dad gets home! You better get your toys put away" as my Dad had apoplectic episodes at us about leaving our bikes where we got done with them in the drive way and he'd run over them coming home from work. People just drop them where they got done. Scooters are now banned in 70% of downtown San Anto.

Columbus passed a law where they have to be evenly distributed, and so a lot of them have disappeared. They wanted them to be downtown and on Ohio State campus and not in poor neighborhoods.

IIRC, and it's been a while since I handled Arizona claims, it's not legal to use as a merge lane there, so Krawlie probably learned it as not being a merge lane.

Some places it is, some it's not.

Mine is totally an old man get off my lawn grumpiness pet peeve: when I am near a younger adult wearing head phones that blast the volume so loud that you can hear it clearly and loudly on the other side of the bus, and said music has the synth snare drum beat that sounds like yard sprinklers you hear in every friggin' song. Modern pop music is so mindless and talent free.

Up until some point this last year, I was letting myself get too worked up about a lot of things. Some of it was everyday things like being annoyed that stuff didn't work or worrying too much over some responsibility that I thought I had. Other parts of it was stressing out over crazy existential stuff that made me put way too much energy into questioning my place in the universe.

Some of that stuff still gets to me a little every now and then, but not nearly as much as it had. I just choose to be positive and not worry when some of those thoughts or stresses float through. The idea that nothing really matters used to freak me out, but now I think I've turned that idea on its head to be more of a comforting thing. Nothing does matter and that's okay. Everything is kind of like a barge on a river, even something negative happening is barely going to budge it to one side. You've got plenty of time and water to correct course.

I can barely walk down the street without someone ****ing me off.

People in stupid hats. Or stupid trousers. Or taking up too much space on the footpath. Or mouth breathing. Or existing in proximity to me. Or the shells of human beings waiting in line in the post office of broken dreams. Or the people ignoring their baby that is screaming for food, or a diaper change, or to go home while they sit drinking their coffee.

That felt good. Thanks guys. Also most of that was hyperbole. I'm not a sociopath. Maybe slightly misanthropic but that's it

I attended a webinar today on Managing it all for the working parent. I was really disappointed because I was hoping someone had some actual secrets to reveal, but most of what I got was tips like, forgive yourself, find a community, keep a journal, blah blah blah.

My tips for working parents:

1. Stop being a control freak. You can live with a team carpool every once in awhile. Also buy your kids store bought Valentines instead of trying to make everything perfect.

2. Outsource what you can. Grocery shopping is the biggest time suck ever. Do the click list pickup or get Instacart. Shop on Amazon.

The guilt thing got to me. Then quit your job and you can deal with the guilt of not having enough money to pay bills. I saw a therapist after my first was born because I was worried I had PPD. She said I didn't have PPD, just unreasonable expectations. So I stopped feeling bad and moved on. Most freeing thing I ever did. Parenting is hard, stop making it harder.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.