On 7/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

I might try some of that with her. Honestly I think half the problem is her running form sucks and if she fixed that her breathing would improve. I've been trying to get her endurance up using what I've learned about running for the last year. But intervals might get her there, too. Personally I like to build up the base and then start doing intervals to increase speed. Once my hip is better I'm probably going to do more intervals myself. And I just checked her feet and I think you're right, her arch is pretty flat. Shit. But she has an arch when she sits, so apparently that's flexible flat feet. Although your description cracked me up because I was also truly not fast enough to be an ACM, but had the vision and passing skills to do it. I'm fairly fast now for a 40 year old, but really good players have 3-4 speeds, and I have 2 gears lol. Those people that are already fast and then change speed again? I hate playing them lol.

Yeah the 3-3-2 is not working. They beat 2 crappy teams this weekend and won their bracket, which was honestly a shock, and then got destroyed by a legit team in the semis. But he's been getting help from a few B and A team players and he is overutilizing them. He clearly wants to win. He is in for a rude surprise when the season starts and he can't call those girls in. The girl he has put in that center mid position is actually a winger and hates it. She doesn't come back on defense, either. Just put the poor kid where she wants to play. She's not a bad player at all but she looks unhappy out there. Her mom and I talk so I probably have a little more insight lol. But I think you're right that Q and the hot shit girl could cause a lot of trouble for other teams with them playing a diamond midfield. And Q would get her ass back on defense, she HATES being scored on. When she played outside mid she always hung back a little too much because she wanted to get back on defense.

Practice tonight was a hot mess. The assistant coach was trying to get them to throw the ball to each other to practice volleys. I think maybe 2 of them could actually throw the ball effectively. I'm also honestly amazed at how badly these girls listen. Like they hear the instructions, do it badly and then decide they are just going to do whatever they want. Lots of herding required. I gotta get my kid moved up. Q couldn't get a good touch because her partner couldn't throw the ball to her.

I'm going to cut him a bit of slack, though. He does seem to be a little kinder to her since our talk. I think he realized I was pretty close to bailing and that she has options elsewhere. The next (and last) tournament is in 3 weeks so we will see how that goes.

Lack of knowledge about different formations...poor practice management...but yeah...that is the rub...they are all volunteers. 

I remember when I was a middle school dean and we literally had NO ONE to coach boys basketball.  So I stepped up--we had like 70 kids and without a cut policy.  We were able to have 4 teams--but it still was soo challenging.  I am a casual fan of basketball at best.  I was literally googling drills before practice.  I had so many kids I had to rotate...i even kept a spreadsheet of playing time, so one rotation got an extra minute I made it up the next week---and practically every game I got chewed out by a parent.  I was pretty bad but I was doing my best.

On the one hand, if I wasn't a principal I would be a soccer coach so I feel bad critiquing him and want to give the guy a break. 

On the other hand, you are in a position of influence and power over children so let go of your ego and step the fuck up. 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn’t really want to make a new topic so I thought I would post this here. After nearly 4 years of hard work, literal blood, sweat and tears, failure and self doubt, finally came the culmination of a

Boom—got Jacob’s old SNES going.  I figured out you have to firmly push the cartridge in to get it to work.   It was Bennett’s 5th birthday.  I have realized how far toys have come.  You can

My kid is 15 today. Which means I am 3000.

Posted Images

Yeah I'm trying not to be a pain in the ass because he's a volunteer. He really wanted me to be team manager and I noped out of that. I'm really organized but I do way too much adult babysitting already. If I didn't have the Girl Scout troop I would help. Shit if I didn't have the Girl Scout troop I would've volunteered to coach myself. He played D2 college so he should know what he's doing but he's a few years older so maybe he's not up on some of the new formations. Honestly I'm not sure I could run a flatback 4 effectively, either. I played on a team that did it in 2000 and back then it was revolutionary. The U12 team that kicked their asses last weekend ran it (well, with 3 girls).

I might volunteer as coach for her school in middle school if they need one. That will be an even bigger shitshow than this team haha. I'm sure it will be no-cut, and I will have half premier/select players and half girls who don't know how to put on shinguards.

Some days I think about quitting my job and getting my coaching license and ref license again. But I would be the ref everyone hates because I would make them play clean and its a dirty sport out here.

19 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Yeah I'm trying not to be a pain in the ass because he's a volunteer. He really wanted me to be team manager and I noped out of that. I'm really organized but I do way too much adult babysitting already. If I didn't have the Girl Scout troop I would help. Shit if I didn't have the Girl Scout troop I would've volunteered to coach myself. He played D2 college so he should know what he's doing but he's a few years older so maybe he's not up on some of the new formations. Honestly I'm not sure I could run a flatback 4 effectively, either. I played on a team that did it in 2000 and back then it was revolutionary. The U12 team that kicked their asses last weekend ran it (well, with 3 girls).

I might volunteer as coach for her school in middle school if they need one. That will be an even bigger shitshow than this team haha. I'm sure it will be no-cut, and I will have half premier/select players and half girls who don't know how to put on shinguards.

Some days I think about quitting my job and getting my coaching license and ref license again. But I would be the ref everyone hates because I would make them play clean and its a dirty sport out here.

I tried reffing and I was TERRIBLE.  I would get too caught up in the game and forget to make calls.  One game I heard a parent say, "this is the longest half ever" and I realized the half was like 20 minutes over. 

We had a principal meeting today and the high school coach said he needed a boys soccer coach.  I was so tempted...if I didn't have a family I totally would have taken it. 

Q might get a chance to play up with the B team at a tournament next weekend. I think she will play much better with girls who can actually get her the ball and where she isn't the obvious best player and strong teams just triple team her.

Just had a meeting with the parents of transgender students that moved here from Texas because of the anti-trans law.

Also--we are interviewing someone with the last name of Sprinkles. 

I've known some good names. One of my favorites is the email addresses we used to get at university. Sean Hitt became shitt@school.edu. Kevin Rappe became krappe@school.edu (he said he was not the complaints department).

Glad you guys are a safe haven for trans kids. What a nightmare.

On 8/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, Hobbes said:

Just had a meeting with the parents of transgender students that moved here from Texas because of the anti-trans law.

Also--we are interviewing someone with the last name of Sprinkles. 

I know several families who are planning to move out of state if we don't vote Abbott out in November. 

So I guess Noah officially starts high school this year. I'd honestly rather "hold him back" a year so he graduates at 18 and not 17, but I think he'd be super upset if his friends graduate and he doesn't. Now I have to start keeping records and grades. Oh and I suppose he needs to select an elective or two. Man, I swear, every time I really get a good groove going with this homeschool thing, something forces us to shift. 

Alright, so my daughter has this friend that she plays with a lot online. We made the mistake of downloading Roblox and it is pretty much the worst game ever. They yell a ton and are generally obnoxious. However, lately the girl has started talking about death and murder and it's getting uncomfortable. They are also in Girl Scouts together and I was told that there was a lot inappropriate talk at Girl Scout camp and I'm pretty sure I know who the culprit was. The same girl scared the hell out of half our troop at camp in June because she started talking about fallen angels or something from Doctor Who and got very graphic. It's clear mom and dad just let her watch whatever media, probably because they are watching it, too and don't want to turn it off. Today the girl started singing about murder and I told them that if that continued I was going to make them hang up. I talked to Q and said that it's inappropriate and it needs to stop, especially since Q has a tendency to repeat things. She said she has asked her to stop (not sure she really has). I do know that the girl is neurodiverse, for what that matters.

I feel like I need to start cracking down on this at Girl Scouts and in my own house. It's clear that it is making the other adults and girls uncomfortable. Honestly, it's almost easier to crack down on it at Girl Scouts because it clearly makes the girls uncomfortable. My daughter doesn't seem to really care, but I do. And I know Q will get in trouble at school if she starts talking about this, and girls start getting kind of dramatic at this age so I don't trust her filter as much.

Sigh, any advice on how to handle this, both as a youth leader and as a parent?

I've got nothing but empathy here. 

Luke is a big fan of the macabre. He's only 6, but he's always kinda been this way. He's a little horror fan in the making. The kid's always found screen violence and death to be amusing. (Example - he laughed out loud in the theater when a certain character fell out of a window and was impaled on a fence during Multiverse of Madness, which we didn't realize would be quite as...Sam Raimi-ish as it was.)

Lately Luke and our nephew, Griffin (4), have become huge fans of Huggy Wuggy and the other creepy characters in Poppy Playtime. My nephew is also a fan of guns whereas Luke is more of a hand-to-hand combat/mele weapons fan. Griffin starts pre-k this year at a public school. I can't imagine that this is about to go well. 

The issue is I don't want people pulling their kid or saying we aren't welcome at camp because they think she's disturbed. I don't think she is, but I also know she's depressed and struggles with emotions. She misses several meetings because her mom says she just can't get her emotions together some days. And I am not your typical Scout leader (usually stay at home moms, teacher types, etc). People get easily alarmed when people, but especially girls, talk about violence or gore. Admittedly, gore makes me queasy. I think I'm just going to have to warn mom that if she scares the girls again I will need her to pick her up early (and I will do my best to head it off before we get to that point).

Honestly, the best thing you can do is talk to the mom. Just lay out the issue to her and ask her for advice on what you should do. There's a pretty big chance that Girl Scouts isn't the only place were they've run into this issue or something similar. Mom may have better advice on heading off her daughter before she gets going, or she may also be at the end of her rope and might be grateful just for a listening ear. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.