Kid stuff

OH man. I wish people would chill. I still only have about 80% of my students doing work but I'm not stressing it. The newest thing we're doing is actually working super awesome. So I did a Miss Spam's Fourth/Fifth Grade Class Facebook group and invited my students only as a closed group for security about two weeks ago. I upload videos of me doing some presentation or information or a YouTube video I mined from the internet explaining a concept and then links to open for work packets I modified to work with online stuff to it, then they do the work and post it back to me in Messenger. I grade it and they see the grades. They can ask questions and either other students or I answer back and then the question is there for other kids to see when they do it later. so I don't feel overwhelmed with the same question over and over again. This is working fantastic for about half my kids (some parents are freaking out about Facebook but based on reaction from the kids doing it they like it so much better than other school options). A lot of parents are more familiar with Facebook so they're finding it easier to use to check up on work and communicate with me. I actually had to register a private Facebook name though because I want it secure and separate from my regular person for my own security and the kids.

For older kids Kahn Academy is pretty good for math and other concepts.

This is all like building an airplane while it's flying because it's new to many brick and mortar type school people it's hard. I appreciate our curriculum lady who's working through all this for our school district. The saddest things for me is actually missing out on our spring field trip and having them grade their own work so I don't have to. LOL. I had to grade over 1900 papers in a week. So I don't get why all these people be assigning a lot of work. Do they not have to grade those? It's like punishment that moves into teacher relaxing time. I'd grade papers at my second job right now but they don't let me bring paper and pen in.

Also, yesterday was terrible because my son had not 1, but 2, epic shitfit meltdowns when I asked him to stop playing his tablet to eat lunch, and again when we told him it was time to turn off video games and take a bath and get ready for bed. He just absolutely lost his mind both times. At lunch I had to put him in his room and just let him cool off for 20 minutes before he could have a somewhat rational conversation. I took away his tablet and all video games for the afternoon. He played fine on his own, so I agreed he could have the tablet back around 4pm. Then at bathtime, he had another epic meltdown, even worse, and it culminating in my husband deleting every single instance of Minecraft off of every device in the house. Honestly, finally. We all know games/devices are his trigger and he needs to be able to do other things. He's also sneaky with finding ways around just about everything (like food, he's gotten ridiculous about that, too).

Later that night, he told us that when he gets upset it's like his brain just melts. And he's right, he just absolutely loses his shit and cannot be reasoned with, he just stands his ground no matter the consequences and until he can wear himself out and finally calm down. I want to help him, but man I am at a loss. We are going to need professional help on this one.

Kids are so programmed to be between SCHOOL and NOT SCHOOL. This time at home feels like NOT SCHOOL even with online work. My kid threw a fit at his mom yesterday because she made him go for a walk. OUTSIDE OMG.

This is what I get from Luke's teacher. I think this is actually what they did in class as well because Luke seemed super familiar with all of the videos (or the little clips I watched at least). I'm so glad I don't pay for this. Not that I'm not super grateful for what they've done for his speech, but omg bless these women because I could not listen to these all day. I haven't "turned in" a single thing. I'm considering it though.

And also, mini rant:

Every time I turn around I see people complaining about their children's schoolwork and then other people jump on them to "have patience" and "give teachers some grace" because "this is new for everyone"...only, it's totally not. I get that it's new for most people, but there's a portion of the population who actually know a thing or two about educating kids from home. There are dozens of curriculum writers and publishers out there with ready-made material. There's definitely no one-size-fits-all homeschool philosophy or method, and every family does things their own way, but if there's one thing we definitely all agree on it's that trying to replicate public school at home does. not. work. Before all this distance learning was created, before any plan was put in place, before we even had the slightest idea of how long schools would be closed, homeschoolers everywhere were shouting this from the rooftops pleading with their friends and neighbors to not try to replicate the public school at home because it would just add stress to everyone and would likely fail anyway. From everything I've read, we were right. It seems that many, if not most, school districts are trying to replicate the same plans and assignments on digital platforms, and parents and students all over are scrambling to make it work at home and it's causing enormous headaches and stress.

I sincerely feel that it would have been better to end the school year especially for K-6th grades. Let parents decide what and how and even if they continue their child's education until the fall.

This is what I get from Luke's teacher. I think this is actually what they did in class as well because Luke seemed super familiar with all of the videos (or the little clips I watched at least). I'm so glad I don't pay for this. Not that I'm not super grateful for what they've done for his speech, but omg bless these women because I could not listen to these all day. I haven't "turned in" a single thing. I'm considering it though.

And also, mini rant:

Every time I turn around I see people complaining about their children's schoolwork and then other people jump on them to "have patience" and "give teachers some grace" because "this is new for everyone"...only, it's totally not. I get that it's new for most people, but there's a portion of the population who actually know a thing or two about educating kids from home. There are dozens of curriculum writers and publishers out there with ready-made material. There's definitely no one-size-fits-all homeschool philosophy or method, and every family does things their own way, but if there's one thing we definitely all agree on it's that trying to replicate public school at home does. not. work. Before all this distance learning was created, before any plan was put in place, before we even had the slightest idea of how long schools would be closed, homeschoolers everywhere were shouting this from the rooftops pleading with their friends and neighbors to not try to replicate the public school at home because it would just add stress to everyone and would likely fail anyway. From everything I've read, we were right. It seems that many, if not most, school districts are trying to replicate the same plans and assignments on digital platforms, and parents and students all over are scrambling to make it work at home and it's causing enormous headaches and stress.

I sincerely feel that it would have been better to end the school year especially for K-6th grades. Let parents decide what and how and even if they continue their child's education until the fall.

I tell all of my parents that if you can adjust what we send home to make it work better for you child, then go for it! All I care about is that students are engaged in learning.

Go to about 9:30 for the lol

Were going to have to have some tough conversations about next school year. Technology we dont know if the kids are going back this year (they arent) but what do we do next year if things are still up in the air but schools are open? Do we keep distancing and homeschool or do we risk sending them back? Concern isnt for the kids who would be going to school so much as the reality that Ive got a pretty good chance of dying from this.

Hell, I almost died from pneumonia last year, and have a propensity towards lung issues. Is sending the kids to school worth the risk? Im not sure.

We found out that one of the families we know pulled their daughter from our private school because the workload has just been through the roof since we got "back" from spring break. I think that we will see many families choosing to homeschool for various reasons over the next year. Some for safety, others because trying to replicate classroom schooling in the home environment is a hot mess. I don't think you would be alone if you did that.

Were going to have to have some tough conversations about next school year. Technology we dont know if the kids are going back this year (they arent) but what do we do next year if things are still up in the air but schools are open? Do we keep distancing and homeschool or do we risk sending them back? Concern isnt for the kids who would be going to school so much as the reality that Ive got a pretty good chance of dying from this.

Hell, I almost died from pneumonia last year, and have a propensity towards lung issues. Is sending the kids to school worth the risk? Im not sure.

I'ts not.

We found out that one of the families we know pulled their daughter from our private school because the workload has just been through the roof since we got "back" from spring break. I think that we will see many families choosing to homeschool for various reasons over the next year. Some for safety, others because trying to replicate classroom schooling in the home environment is a hot mess. I don't think you would be alone if you did that.

I encourage everyone I know in Texas to do this. We have enormous freedom down here, so there's no downside to pulling them right now even if they do re-enroll next year.

I'm not lying when I say that homeschooling is one of the best decisions we've ever made. It's just a much better lifestyle for the type of home life and family life we wanted for our kids.

As of right now, I think we will continue sending my son to public school next year if we think we're going to have to do social distancing again next fall/winter. He actually does ready well with learning at home, but keeping him busy the rest of the day can be an issue. But he is a really good emerging reader, really enjoying having him read books to me.

Oh mah gah. We had a virtual meeting with my daughter's soccer team and we were NOT planning on returning but now that she saw the girls for the first time in a month and found out that they are getting a new coach and it's a woman, she suddenly wants to play again, now.

... ok I'm kind of glad she got a new coach.

School is canceled here, and schools and teachers are encouraged to develop a plan in case theres no school next year.

We have to discuss, but I think were going to bite the bullet and homeschool next year. Why pay for Catholic school if its going to be crappy online learning, especially when you have a trained teacher in the house.

School is canceled here, and schools and teachers are encouraged to develop a plan in case theres no school next year.

We have to discuss, but I think were going to bite the bullet and homeschool next year. Why pay for Catholic school if its going to be crappy online learning, especially when you have a trained teacher in the house.

Do. Not. Try. To recreate. School. At. Home.

Other than that, you'll be great. Don't buy much either. Your kids are young. Use free stuff online.

I had a whole long post but I accidentally clicked away.

Short version: There was about a week and a half before the school got real resources, and my wife was just homeschooling, and it was by far the best period for the kids, way better than the official distance learning. They especially should've just told the preschool teachers to take the rest of the year off with pay. They're doing Zoom meetings, where my daughter just sits and glares at the screen, and that's it. And that's all you can do, but it's still just stupid. It adds zero value, makes it another thing parents have to remember and do, and is just an excuse for the teachers to still get paid.

The few days that we were homeschooling was awesome. We had fun projects and the kids learned stuff. Now I'm re-creating worksheets that the teachers forgot to upload, trying to remember how to make a fortune teller for spelling words, and watching my kid come up with 5 shitty adjectives based on her 5 senses and telling her teacher that her bed tastes "weird". Because this is soooo much better.

Actually, what I'm doing with my son is probably way more valuable. Teacher is giving minimal assignments so we are supplementing with things that actually challenge him and that he needs to work on. But then I get the Music teacher assigning listening to a John Denver song and draw a picture (not IEP friendly) and the STEM teacher asked us to make a "shelter" for ice cubes and measure how long it takes to melt. In a Google Drive file that my Kindergartener is not filling out himself. I'm protesting at this point. What are they going to do? Fail him in Kindergarten for not drawing a picture? Please.

I have learned I teach the perfect age group. 4th and 5th graders and right now helping middle schoolers too with their math and I love it. If I went any lower I think I would be changing to be a realtor now. My kids love interacting with me when we zoom for homeroom or reach out on facbook or facetime. I think it's mostly the cats though that draw them in. They ask about them all the time.

Dreambox is free right now for families.

I would argue it is the best online curriculum and certainly better than iReady. It says PK-algebra, but the PK and K is kinda lacking, but at that age students should be learning through manipulatives anyways.

I find most PK/K programs lacking. Or at the very least, just a really bad fit for my kids. Every week the PK teachers at Luke's school (which are closely tied to the EC classes that he's in, so they often get lumped together) send out a slide show of YouTube videos that they would have used in class (*rant about those later) and a list of "suggested" activities. They also resend out the "4th 9-weeks objectives for Pre-K", and Luke already surpasses them all. This week they're supposed to make rainbows so they learn the colors and the color wheel. Luke obsessively makes everything into a rainbow. He rainbows his toys (and all of our manipulatives) every chance he gets, and he's been like this for at least a year now.

Im about to give myself and my son buzz cuts. I got my hair cut just about a week before everything really hit, which means its been over a month and my hair grows quickly. My son didnt get his cut with me, so his really needs it.

I just picked up a pair of clippers from Target. I keep my hair short so I am fine with a buzz cut, but my wife is anti-buzz cuts for the boys.

I have a fairly big job interview later this week, which if I move on might take a few weeks for the whole process to complete, so I am struggling with the decision of whether or not toI cut my hair.

Job interview? For what? Are you still trying to open a Montessori?

Executive director of a charter school (not Montessori). I am through the first two rounds...the next round is Thursday.

I am looking to open my own Montessori school, but right now we have a location picked out, but due to the Coronavirus, we can't get in to get an estimate for build out costs.

I agree. I know of a few charter and private schools that are making things mandatory, but every district I know of is just providing access to resources, staff, and a recommended schedule. I don't know of any district that is making things mandatory...at least grades P-8.

If you were a superintendent, what would you do differently?

I dunno. We are not requiring it either in the school district my charter school is in. It's something to do during the day. I think media and social media hypes it up though and drives these hysterical mental breakdowns of people who suddenly have to co-teach your kid(s). Yeah, paperwork and meetings are the most difficult thing or I should say tedious thing about my job. I hate them. I hate doing those things Cerina and Destiny ask about. I hate those. They're work piled on top of my already high work load. It's why I moved to a charter school. All the kids that go to my school right now are angling toward college and tested to get in and their parents are committed to their education. My biggest issue is absentee parents so I love that you guys care about your kids and want things for your kids and help. Honestly, before the virus started Cerina and Destiny were trying to get help for your kids and had issues. And you know why? Because the education system is not perfect. It's awful. And no one wants to step in to fix it. They just want to add more to it.

Look at Ender trying to find a different thing in his profession. He loves it and wants to be there to help your kids. I would say 70% of your kids teachers WANT to help your kid be their best (honestly the rest are just trying to get a paycheck or are not smart enough to adapt and change to each child's needs). When mandatory education for all kids in the US was required they basically developed text books that simply told the teacher what to say and do and the kids just did that from the book itself. It was unskilled as long as you could read you were hired. Now we're having to do this online for schools and they're applying a kind of one size meets all standard because they had to do it on the fly. Meanwhile it has to be applied to people with jobs or no jobs and stress and multiple kids and different personalities. I have one parent who's asking me every day if this will put her kid back and she's freaking out about graduation to middle school and super high strung and I have to find different ways to tell her it's going to be okay. Just do the best you can. Your kid is doing fine.

At some jobs you learn about different personalities and how to deal like if you are in sales or need to work with others to accomplish something. Now you're doing it at home with your own kids and daily being in the same house ALL DAY. I can recognize when your kid is about to shut down in class and we're not going to get further and we need a breather but after 6 weeks in the same house with your kid doing this "busy work" and watching them shut down on top of some schools teaching math or other things in the "new" way when you learned it a certain other way and hitting that rock hard wall of the I've had enough is enough to make you cry and be frustrated and feel like a failure. Honestly I've been there. That busy work is so I can actually get roll entered in peace for three minutes and I don't expect them to finish it. That extra page of work sheets is my five minutes to go to the computer and try and enter one of those IEPs so I don't have to stay after school to do it because I too have stuff I need to do after school like a parent teacher conference or some endless meeting about that standardized test my raise will be based on.

The whole world is full of people who are great and do good things and want to learn and read but they are also full of other people that litter, are jerks, think they're going to get that dream job and don't have to do the work either. I love teaching. And by teaching I love doing things that expand education and open doors of curiosity. If your kid asks I will spend my entire lunch working through a way to leach him/her how to break down a word problem or work through fractions or how to find the highest point of a parabola on a graph.

My school district has done it's very best to try and supply kids with laptops, hot spots, distance teaching. I've been given some freedoms to do some of my own lessons. Nothing is required. I just hope to keep them learning and engaged every day. The best thing to take away from this is that you are not alone. Almost every kid in America is going through this right now and will be at their own point of learning on the sliding scale of education. Colleges and Universities will have to come up with ways to see this for graduating seniors. Next years school options will have to be revisited. And hopefully change can happen within this broken awful system we use to teach kids because it is definitely not one size fits all.

Took a vacation day today for my son's birthday. We redecorated his room while he was playing Prodigy (his new favorite game, he literally played for an hour) from space theme to Minecraft. It blew his little mind when he walked in and his room was different. He asked for goat cheese and lamb for birthday dinner instead of burgers and fries. We made goat cheese for Easter and he's been obsessed ever since. I had to make 2 cakes because the first one fell apart. The one from scratch instead of a mix turned out way better. So we had a busy day, but he had a great birthday and was pretty agreeable.

My sons birthday was yesterday too!

I worked all day, then we had pizza and cinnamon roll cake, and then we watched LEGO Ninjago. We had banned that and LEGO Batman because of the language popping up too frequently, but we decided to relax now that hes seven.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.