The Oscars

Metropolis

You already know the answer.

"I'm not interested in a thing at all. Should I watch it?"

Come on.

I already wasn't watching it. I was cleaning out the DVR because I was gone for the weekend. I was watching SmackDown, the wife mentioned it , I came here and no thread.

The political talk might be a small part, but I think there reason the Oscars loses viewers year after year is that no one sees most of these movies. Other than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker, I think most of these movies saw wide release during "Oscar Season"? Maybe people just don't care about awards shows for anything anymore period.

You already know the answer.

"I'm not interested in a thing at all. Should I watch it?"

Come on.

I already wasn't watching it. I was cleaning out the DVR because I was gone for the weekend. I was watching SmackDown, the wife mentioned it , I came here and no thread.

The political talk might be a small part, but I think there reason the Oscars loses viewers year after year is that no one sees most of these movies. Other than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker, I think most of these movies saw wide release during "Oscar Season"? Maybe people just don't care about awards shows for anything anymore period.

I think that is the POV of a genre fan. Oscar films have always tended to be the more obvious heart-string pullers or historical polemics.

It has to be a serious (and seriously well made) outlier, or surprise box office slayer, to get attention. Tarantino has figured that out.

I think this year's crop was surprisingly diverse in what was being offered. A movie like 1917 is obvious Oscar bait-- but Parasite? A foreign language art house thriller? It's crazy it won (bit a good thing I think).

I actually saw most of the best picture contenders this year. Parasite was one of my favs, but I didn't think it had a chance.

Just my personal opinion, but I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was the best of the nominees. Until Parasite got a lot of traction in other awards, I really thought it would run away with it because it has all of the factors that the Academy usually loves.

That said, Parasite is fantastic. It's absolutely a story for the current times and what it has to say about classism can easily apply to different cultures across the globe. Plus it's so cool that a movie by and for anyone else but old white guys gets this recognition. I'm really happy it won.

Wait, Jlo didn't get a Best Supporting Actress nod for Hustlers? Unfair!

Wait, Taika Waititi gets Best Adapted Screenplay over Greta Gerwig for Little Women? Unfair!

Wait, Parasite won 4 Oscars including Best Picture but didn't win Best Production Design? Once Upon A Time In Hollywood did instead? Somewhat unfair!

I came here and no thread.
Weeks ago when the nominees were announced I assumed there'd be a Nightly thread on the subject so I wrote up a quick post in my word processor. (Why? I can't seem to get spellcheck to work in the browser anymore so I like to tippy-type my posts up beforehand. Why do I care about accidental spelling errors? No one knows!) But then I checked here, and there was nothing, so I just threw it on the pile with all the many many many many other stuff I've written ostensibly for this dumb website over the past two decades but don't bother to post (you're all spared! you have no idea how often I deliberately bless you w/my silence, Nightly! Not often enough, true, but more often than you'd think!) or forget about posting.
So, here you go :

Ford v Ferrari - lol in what world is this the best picture to come out this year

The Irishman - hell yeah

Jojo Rabbit - lol in what world is this the best etcetera

Joker - haven't seen it; no real interest neither unless it focuses on The Joker's use of the Surfing Experience & Ability Transferometer to steal the talents of Skip Parker so he can become Surf King of Gotham, as it is it looks more like an even dumber version of how Geoff Johns used to take time off between arcs of his Flash run (w/the great Brian Bolland covers!) to do a little origin story for, like, Mirror Master and end up showing Mirror Master snuffing cocaine off one of his magic mirrors all because Mirror Master was abused as a child (in front of a Mirror!)

Little Women - hell yeah

Marriage Story - haven't seen it, no real interest neither

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood -

Just my personal opinion, but I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was the best of the nominees. Until Parasite got a lot of traction in other awards, I really thought it would run away with it because it has all of the factors that the Academy usually loves.

That said, Parasite is fantastic. It's absolutely a story for the current times and what it has to say about classism can easily apply to different cultures across the globe. Plus it's so cool that a movie by and for anyone else but old white guys gets this recognition. I'm really happy it won.

I’m happy that Parasite won. It’s well deserved and that director really brought a kind of joy to winning his multiple Oscars that I haven’t seen in a long time. But any of the other ‘old white guy films’ that were up for noms were worthy of being there and I would have been fine with any of them winning, honestly.

I just want to point out Marriage Story for a moment. I can only think of one other film where I was so in awe of a film, deemed it worthy of its praises, was so emotionally attached to it, yet have no desire to ever watching it again because of how real, raw and emotional it is. That was Requiem of a Dream. Marriage Story is right up there next to it. Movie was simply amazing. But I’ll never watch it again. Adam Driver and ScarJo gave genuine and sometimes disturbing, yet HONEST performances in this movie. But I was a wreck and in tears for half of the movie. My anxiety was almost unbearable at times and by the end of it, I was exhausted and just wanted to crash and go to sleep.

any of the other ‘old white guy films’ that were up for noms were worthy of being there and I would have been fine with any of them winning, honestly.

1917 or The Irishman, sure. Joker or Ford v Ferrari? Nope.

any of the other old white guy films that were up for noms were worthy of being there and I would have been fine with any of them winning, honestly.

1917 or The Irishman, sure. Joker or Ford v Ferrari? Nope.
Really, I was just referencing your old white guy comment and how its a weak argument.

I actually saw most of the best picture contenders this year. Parasite was one of my favs, but I didn't think it had a chance.

Ditto. I'd already seen 8 of the 9 Best Picture nominees before the nominations were announced, and caught the ninth one a few days later. Perversely, out of those nominees the only one I actively disliked was the quote-unquote comic-book movie.

The Oscars have been one of my guilty pleasures for a couple decades now. I remember starting out as one of those fledgling viewers who hadn't seen anything outside the Sound and Visual Effects nominees. After a decade or so of getting into it, then my wife and I started an annual tradition of watching all the Animated and Live-Action Short FIlm nominees once ouir city finally got an art-house theater ready and willing to exhibit them. And thanks to the internet and the rise of original streaming-media programming, last year and this year I found myself tracking down the documentaries online, long and short, and watching for fun.

Well, maybe not "fun". Aleppo reality-horror shows can damage the psyche when you stack too many of them in a row.

But, y'know, good luck trying to drum up chats about this stuff on Facebook, where nobody went to theaters last year to see anything but Endgame.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.