Star Wars Underworld footage leaked

Dark Wader

Well, apparently it's been out there for 9+ years.

Bearing in mind this is test footage, so can forgive the atrocious acting. Can't forgive the shocking aim of the Stormtroopers though. . .

Interesting to see what could have been. The animation isn't actually too bad considering, though maybe that's where Lucas decided it was just too expensive.

It wants to be Blade Runner so bad even the speeder at the top looks like a Spinner.

One of the reasons Lucas backed out was because he said it was too expensive to do SW on a TV budget... this thing 100 has the look, feel, and budget of SW CDROM 90s video game cut scene.

See, what happened was, Lucas had a project in mind and told his writers to just write whatever comes to mind without regard to finance caps, saying that they'd find a way to get the money. When he saw what they had in mind, figuring it'd cost $50,000 of more per episode, he went back on his word and pulled the plug on the project. His eyes were bigger than his stomach.

$50k seems pretty cheap, even for back then. The Mandalorian is reportedly $15 million per episode. heck, Friends was over $6 million per episode just in main cast salaries.

Yeah, Lucas pulled plug at 1mil an episode-- but keep in mind like the PT he was going to self fund it to have full control. Also, this was before short seasons were a thing in the US, so he was looking at 24 episodes at least.

The Mando is easily one of the most expensive shows ever produced at 15m.

It wants to be Blade Runner so bad even the speeder at the top looks like a Spinner.

One of the reasons Lucas backed out was because he said it was too expensive to do SW on a TV budget... this thing 100 has the look, feel, and budget of SW CDROM 90s video game cut scene.

I picked up on the Blade Runner aspect too.

One thing I liked about the PT was Coruscant, which this video is playing up the look of. This video over does it somewhat, but if Mandalorian ever visits Nar Shaddaa, I think a scummier version (EG more run down, graffiti everywhere, more non human creatures) of this video would look like what Nar Shaddaa should look like.

Yeah, Lucas pulled plug at 1mil an episode-- but keep in mind like the OT he was going to self fund it to have full control. Also, this was before short seasons were a thing in the US, so he was looking at 24 episodes at least.

The Mando is easily one of the most expensive shows ever produced at 15m.

$1 million makes way more sense. That's money that would make you reconsider things, especially for something entirely unproven. The Mandalorian is ridiculously expensive, but it's not just selling a show, it's selling two brands, both Disney+ and Star Wars.

Exactly-- it's not like an other TV show that has a profit model for a network or cable channel. It's an extension of a brand and the flagship of their streaming service and they are tied to billions in licensing and theme park stuff.

Cool concept, but looks reminiscent of a 1990s era Lucas Arts video game cut scene.

Yeah it did make me thing of Dark Forces a lot.

That said, I actually don't think the effects are that bad considering this was shot in 2011ish. Bearing in mind it's test footage, I think it looks better than the majority of TV special effects from that time.

You know I sadly never got to play the original - but I did play the two sequels and they were some of the coolest Star Wars games I ever played.

The game I think that perfectly captured the Star Wars experience though and never gets enough credit was Rogue Leader on the GameCube. That game made me feel like I was actually part of the battle of Endor. Taking down Star Destroyers in that game was unparalleled

Cool concept, but looks reminiscent of a 1990s era Lucas Arts video game cut scene.

Yeah it did make me thing of Dark Forces a lot.

That said, I actually don't think the effects are that bad considering this was shot in 2011ish. Bearing in mind it's test footage, I think it looks better than the majority of TV special effects from that time.

I would always take good story over FX any day.

Yeah, I think a big problem was trying to do the prequels for TV. Star Wars is obviously effects heavy, but you don't have to go that far with it.

Honestly, setting it on Courescant automatically makes it expensive to produce.

There's a reason that most of the OT is set in remote locations in the galaxy. Even the Mandalorian has been smart to keep things simple and remote. Outposts, secret bases, farms, outer rim towns-- these are places that have small populations, exteriors that are isolated, and are easy to find and dress locations. A scifi city teeming with millions of people with speeder traffic and more? Just screams expensive.

That said, if this was PT era Lucas, he may have intentionally wanted something large in scope so he could shop the process to Hollywood the way he did all the digital techniques from the PT. Maybe he wanted to say LOOK! I MADE AND ENTIRE TEEMING CITY WITH A GREEN SCREEN AND TWO ACTORS! ...but the end result wasn't there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.