Career change

75??? **** that's pretty young still you know.

According to my Oma, if you take care of yourself you shouldn't really feel much different at 75 from 65. She said she started to feel physically worsening from about 80. She's 86 now and going strong.

My plan is to get into heroin when I turn 90. The problem I think will be finding trustworthy whipper snappers to hook me up with good stuff.

Ok, boomer. :p

In the US, people hate anyone over 50 and can't wait for them to die off.

I mean, I hated the social side of school growing up, but I loved the academics and extracurriculars. I was in sports, choir, honor society, tutoring, etc. My parents offered to pay for an out-of-district transfer my senior year to escape the terrible social drama. The only reason I stayed was to play soccer senior year. If they had Running Start (graduate with HS diploma and AA at the same time), I would've done it in a heartbeat. But my teachers were amazing, I would've actually missed them.

I mean, I hated the social side of school growing up, but I loved the academics and extracurriculars. I was in sports, choir, honor society, tutoring, etc. .

Just like me!

And by "just like" I mean the exact opposite of.

I couldn't wait to get to school every day. I had friends and people who cared about me at school. I love learning and could become a professional student if I had the money and time.

I love learning! That's one of the reasons I hated school. There wasn't much learning going on there. Not for me anyway. Schools, or at least my schools, didn't differentiate for different learning styles or speeds AT ALL. I spent most of the day waiting for the teachers to move on to something I didn't already know/understand. Then I spent the rest of the day feeling woefully inadequate because writing was never taught the way I needed to learn to write.

I mean, I hated the social side of school growing up, but I loved the academics and extracurriculars. I was in sports, choir, honor society, tutoring, etc. My parents offered to pay for an out-of-district transfer my senior year to escape the terrible social drama. The only reason I stayed was to play soccer senior year. If they had Running Start (graduate with HS diploma and AA at the same time), I would've done it in a heartbeat. But my teachers were amazing, I would've actually missed them.

I'm just the opposite. I very much enjoyed the social side of school. I was kind of a chameleon when it came to social cliques. The academics were a complete waste of my time.

My friend group was kind of weird, but probably typical. We never knew where we fit in. We weren't cool but we weren't total nerds (I was the biggest one). One day sophomore year, we overheard the wannabe gang kids at the table next to ours call us the jock girls. Realized then that we all played at least 1 varsity sport. Most of us had actually become friends by playing softball or basketball together in elementary/middle school.

Unfortunately, we added a few really toxic girls to our group when we moved to high school and it changed the dynamic. I was always the most independent of the group and outspoken, which they didn't like and made it clear that they barely tolerated me. Around junior year, a bunch of them became obsessed with being popular, much to the amusement of the actually popular kids, who viewed them as a joke. I did have a really great group of friends who went to our rival high school that I met through select soccer, I escaped to the other side of town most weekends and volunteered as a writing tutor during lunch so I didn't have to sit alone.

A few years ago I went back home for my best friend's wedding. She was super rude to me despite traveling really far because her friends still hated me. Her stepdad was furious with her but smart enough not to call her on it on her wedding day. That was the last time I went home. That great group of friends has also mostly moved out of the area so there's not much point in going home. My dad is more than happy to come visit us or meet us somewhere else on vacation.

Now, college, college was awesome. All the activities from high school (the school was big on funding clubs) but with fellow nerds, and got to take classes in rocket science. My sorority sisters and my husband's fraternity brothers (dont get too excited about us being fratty, remember it's a nerd school) are still our best friends and we take vacations together and meet up whenever we can, despite being scattered across the country.

College was less awesome for me. I think my friends had better experiences in college than I did. I know that some of their lifelong friends that they keep better in touch with were met in college. I feel like you get what you want out of school. I know it sounds corny but school really is about attitude. You can learn a lot about yourself and how to be with others and learn your interests. The extra stuff like the book learning and other things is just side stuff.

For me, college started as purely for the academics and life opportunities, but quickly turned into the place where I finally found other people like me. I was bullied very badly in elementary/middle school, and roundly ignored in high school, so college holds a special place in my heart.

I'll admit that I had a bias against people who spent a lot of time in Lando. But, to be fair, some of the worst members of all-time were Landoites.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been doing this for a few weeks. I missed a week when I first went back to work, but I've been slowly chipping away. I already knew some of the basic stuff, so I flew through HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap 3. Which is around 9 hours of lectures plus some small projects. A little over halfway done with Bootstrap 4, and then I'll move on to Javascript.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.