Movin' on... up? down? left?

Tank

I mean, don't pay what you can't afford. The nice thing about new is that usually you know the price and you don't have to fight others off with a stick like the current market. The house behind us went for $980k. The world has lost its mind. Its a bigger floor plan but the least desirable lot in the entire neighborhood. I paid like 40% of that in 2013.

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Shit like that is why we’ll never be able to own a home. Maybe when all four of our parents die, but maybe not even then.

Same here for me.  It always feels like the houses I want are always just expensive enough that they are out of reach, and whenever I finally do get a raise, the cost of living and inflation go up just enough to cancel out my raise!   So I just continue to rent the house I am in.  

5 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

I agree.   Some of the Cincy suburbs seem kinda nice.  Just observations from all the baseball tournaments my kids have played there over the years. 

For the most part, our three big cities and suburbs are fine. I prefer Cincinnati to Cleveland by a wide margin, though. A couple smaller towns are cool - especially Yellow Springs, where Dave Chappelle lives. But other than that, there’s a lot of meth and racism.

10 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

For the most part, our three big cities and suburbs are fine. I prefer Cincinnati to Cleveland by a wide margin, though. A couple smaller towns are cool - especially Yellow Springs, where Dave Chappelle lives. But other than that, there’s a lot of meth and racism.

I'm still blown away that Columbus has an NHL team and not Cincinnati or Cleveland.  But in recent years, I think Columbus has surpassed them in population.  

We've been dipping our toes into the idea of getting our next place, we've been in our relatively small house for around thirteen years now.  (Funny how the last year changed things pretty drastically.)

I was shocked at how much the market has changed in what was once a really affordable area.  A house that would have went for around $130K just a few years ago is now pushing $200K.  That's mostly in areas that's within city limits and a quick drive to the government installation or downtown, but it's certainly a harbinger of things to come.  I'm still looking for places outside of town that we might like, but I'm also looking at ways to build onto or improve our existing place.

25 minutes ago, D-Ray Kenobi said:

We've been dipping our toes into the idea of getting our next place, we've been in our relatively small house for around thirteen years now.  (Funny how the last year changed things pretty drastically.)

I was shocked at how much the market has changed in what was once a really affordable area.  A house that would have went for around $130K just a few years ago is now pushing $200K.  That's mostly in areas that's within city limits and a quick drive to the government installation or downtown, but it's certainly a harbinger of things to come.  I'm still looking for places outside of town that we might like, but I'm also looking at ways to build onto or improve our existing place.

We bought our house about 6 years ago. We paid $170k, and it would definitely sell for $325k now. Maybe more.

I don't see it crashing anytime soon.  The main reason it did back in 2008 was because of predatory lending and finance market inventions that largely don't exist anymore.  For the most part, people can afford the houses they're buying and their mortgages aren't tied up in securities anymore.

Even in the last year, supply just seems to be far below demand in most towns.  Places that used to be cow pastures in my area just a year ago are now spiraling mazes of suburbia.  I think eventually it'll change over to a buyer's market when Gen Z can't afford houses or doesn't care about owning a house, but that's going to be a little while longer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.