Movin' on... up? down? left?

Tank

BACK TO ME

I got the place. My stress levels are much less now that I know I have a place to live and I could get what I wanted. I'm still paying out the nose for it, but right now I don't care. I want my own place that will make me happy and it is exactly what I want.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving sucks. I hate it. I am very effected by my space so being in boxes stresses me out. I hate packing, and while I like purging stuff I hate the energy spent getting rid of things. I will have movers do the big stuff, but I'm still exhausted by all the little stuff, and painting, and I feel like I am just hemorrhaging cash.

Moving is THE WORST. The money it takes just to relocate is just stupid. I feel your pain. I like to watch Hoarders as I pack. And every time I've moved, I've taken almost everything with me, only to get rid of half of everything 2 months into the new place. It all seems so important to keep until you get in the new place and never use it.

• 8 months later...

Welp, as great as this apartment turned out to be, all it has taken is one terrible upstairs neighbor to make me want to quit this bitch. The last few weeks have been awful. I've got four months left on my lease, and I will just have to stick it out.

That said, I think I am actually going to buy a place.

Looking back at my dilemmas in the first post, I realize now I should have just moved to the burbs to be closer to the kid. Covid has ended up giving me more time with him, which I value. It's also handy that the one place I can afford to buy without having a partner.

I mean, it's still LA, so it's not going to be cheap, and most of you will laugh at the money I spend. But at this point, looking at what I qualify for and what I need, I'll be paying less money per month on a mortgage than I am now in rent... plus I'll have the tax benefits of being a homeowner.

So I guess I'm about to start down this rabbit hole. 

Lol, retrospectively what a shitshow 2020 ended up being. Move to the burbs, dude. Start looking now and snatch (heh heh, snatch) what you can because the housing market is brutal right now. I hope for you that things are changing with lifestyles and living in the suburbs will mean a not-as-terrible commute for fancy Hollywood meetings because other people are staying home.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

You call that tiny? It looks quite spacious from the photos, though lenses can be deceiving I guess. But for the price that looks bangin. I mean, something that size in London you'd be looking at £600 K minimum depending on condition. And closer to a million depending on the neighborhood. 

If there is one thing you Americans have in real estate it's space. 

Unless youre in New York or something.

I want it and am trying to figure out where I could carve out closet space without detracting from it's interior goodness and still tuck my sister in there somewhere. 

I am starting to think about building a guest house with laundry facilities in the backyard where the wreck of two storage buildings are since the city will probably condemn them.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have paused/given up on my home search. I really really really really hate the process with loan people.  It triggers all my money anxieties.

Also, the price of everything has shot up. And I am again re-re-reconsidering my commitment to the burbs and thinking maybe I should just rent until I know exactly what my kid is doing after high school.

Also, I love LA, but this last year has sort of proven that Hollywood can work decentralized. Even TV rooms have found a way to go virtual. I want more TV work, but most of my stuff is features, which I am at home on my own doing anyway. For the first time since moving here I am thinking of moving closer to family and flying in for meetings.

It's worse because home buying has become so ridiculous in the time of Covid. Tina and I find a home, we put in a bid but because I don't want to pay more than asking, we get rejected because EVERYTHING in our price range is going for 20% over asking and the buyer will not pay closing costs. We are out bid and losing out on homes but man if I wanted to sell my house someone would buy it without even looking at it and I would probably get more than I asked for because everyones trying to buy right now.

The little house I posted above sold for $160,000 and had over 56 offers written up on it. We're switching to buying a new home. The stuff in my price range is not impressive as in bedrooms are like 8 by 8 feet and no real dining room and you're just blocked in for ceiling fans but they are extra like blinds. But you get a free ring door bell. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.