Galaxy's Edge at Disney

D-Ray Kenobi

The way it works for Rise of the Resistance is that you need to book a "boarding pass" to get on the ride. That's done through the Disney app. You have to actually be in a Disney Park to book it though. I believe any number 121 and above is a backup group. Sometimes they get to the backup groups, others they don't.

Right now they're boarding groups 53-58.

So getting there early is almost a must right now. We'll be there before open on Saturday. Wait time right now for the Falcon is 45 minutes.

The boarding pass system sounds terrible at first, but I found it much more preferable to a traditional long line. When I went right before Christmas, many other extremely popular rides often had waits of 2+ hours, with some, like the big Avatar ride, having waits of routinely over 3 hours. That just sounds far more miserable to me. At least with this system, you get some waiting done with at the start of the day and can then go explore the park until your boarding group is called.

Met and D-Ray, I will give you a heads up, though, that you will most likely still have a wait once you get in the actual line for the ride. I don't recall how long the line was for me, but it was enjoyable enough even by myself (since my wife was too exhausted to get up with me to get in line that morning).

For the Falcon ride, I bided my time until we found that it only had a 30 minute or so wait. 45 wouldn't be so bad for it, either, but it was often as high as 90 minutes when I went. I hope the waits aren't so bad for you!

Now that I think about it, the episode 3+ Anakin saber is the only major one that doesn't does draw or lend inspiration to another saber.

Untrue! I wish I had mine to show you. But it is technically the same saber (storywise) from ANH, ESB, TFA, TLJ, and TROS. All of those movies, save for TROS used the camera flash from the 30s I mentioned. TROS used a fan-run replica. ROTS made theirs from scratch. It's dimensions are way off, and the details are wrong, but since it is supposed to be the same saber, it was based off one of the OT era props used by Luke.
Is there one? The closest I could find would be Ahsoka's. Visually it's a reach, not to mention she had it when she became Anakin's Padawan.

They should make a Star Wars TV show where the characters have to run around lining up to spend their credits. That would make Galaxy's Edge feel more immersive.

Wasn't that the Canto Bight portion of TLJ?

Nah, more like the early Tatooine scenes in TPM when they don't have any money to pay for parts.

Now that I think about it, the episode 3+ Anakin saber is the only major one that doesn't does draw or lend inspiration to another saber.

Untrue! I wish I had mine to show you. But it is technically the same saber (storywise) from ANH, ESB, TFA, TLJ, and TROS. All of those movies, save for TROS used the camera flash from the 30s I mentioned. TROS used a fan-run replica. ROTS made theirs from scratch. It's dimensions are way off, and the details are wrong, but since it is supposed to be the same saber, it was based off one of the OT era props used by Luke.
Is there one? The closest I could find would be Ahsoka's. Visually it's a reach, not to mention she had it when she became Anakin's Padawan.

I may be confusing myself-- do you mean the prop or the lightsaber in-story?

In story. Originally there were only 4. Obi Wan, Anakin-Luke, Vader, Luke ROTJ. Luke and Obi Wan was the first nod to master apprentice saber influence. With the prequels there more design influences.

Qui Gon > Obi Wan Ep1-2

Anakin Ep2 > Vader

Count Dooku > Ventriss

Obi Wan Ep1-2 > Obi Wan Ep3+

Because of the Anakin Ep2 saber the Anakin "legacy" becomes a bit of an outlier.

In story. Originally there were only 4. Obi Wan, Anakin-Luke, Vader, Luke ROTJ. Luke and Obi Wan was the first nod to master apprentice saber influence. With the prequels there more design influences.

Qui Gon > Obi Wan Ep1-2

Anakin Ep2 > Vader

Count Dooku > Ventriss

Obi Wan Ep1-2 > Obi Wan Ep3+

Because of the Anakin Ep2 saber the Anakin "legacy" becomes a bit of an outlier.

Ah-- gotcha, I see what you mean now.

I love the Luke / Obi-Wan connection as it's not overt when you watch onscreen. Palpatine even says Luke's saber is like Anakin's, but it is clearly the same design as Obi-Wan's.

There's a fun story behind that. Obi-Wan's saber was made from the parts I mentioned above. But for the duels, they needed a stunt saber. In ESB and ROTJ they had metal rods for dueling because they knew they would just be animating the blades in post. But for ANH they were trying to do it as a practical effect at first. The reason the ANH duel is so slow is because the props were actually super fragile. The rods were coated in reflective material, and a motor in the hilt spun it to create the strobing effect. They ended up doing the animated blades in post as we know.

Anyway, the stunt versions of the sabers were made from scratch to resemble the belt-hanger / close up props. For Obi-Wan's they used a lathe to make a wooden copy-- very low detail mind you, just the basic shape. Then they used that to make a mold and made two casts. They were hollowed out, and the motors were mounted inside.

Cut to ROTJ. On the first day of shooting, Mark Hamill was actually given the ESB lightsaber as part of Luke's costume initially. Somebody noted the continuity error and they basically had to scramble for a lightsaber prop. They didn't have time for an original design, and the prop department just so happened to still have the ANH era Obi-Wan stunt sabers. They had been spray painted black to match Obi-Wan's hero saber. They were given a very hasty rubdown to scrape the paint off, the motors were taken out, the power cable holes were plugged with random knobs and boom-- Luke's lightsaber was made.

There were two of these-- one of them went onto his belt, and is silver and messy black. The other was rigged back up to be a stunt, and it's what he uses during the duel with Vader. For the sail barge (which was shot after the duel) another stunt saber had been made. Since they had been prepping, and a stunt crew was already rehearsing, based on photos of the stunt being used in the duel in the UK, the prop team had a new one made from a scratch with a short-rod blade (since it was being swung around stunt actors. When the cast came over, Luke still has the same belt hanger, but during the sail barge fight he is using the third version.

After principle photography had wrapped, Lucas decided to do some pick ups. One of them was the close up of Vader examining Luke's new light saber. They realized that since it was supposed to be "new" the usual battle worn and dirty Star Wars look actually didn't work. So they took one of the dueling sabers from the California part of the shoot, cleaned it up on a lathe, repainted it, and used this for the hero shot. The control box was a new one, made from scratch for the cave-build scene, which was cut from the movie and not seen until the BlueRays came out. In that shot, Luke is working on the internal components of the box. Even though you only see it in ONE shot in the movie, it is the design all the replicas, video games, and toys followed to this day.

Anyway. That's how big of a nerd I am. That's why I have two Luke ROTJ sabers. One is the idealized hero saber, the other is the one that he actually wears through the whole movie. It even gets one close up of its own on Palpy's throne.

They've really only just started construction on the hotel I think. I originally thought about waiting until it opened so I could do the whole thing, but the immersive scale of it and small number of rooms it will have is going to make it ridiculously expensive.

Yeah in that case, don't think ill bother waiting either!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.